2005 Camry Exhaust Upgrade

mulla

Hi all,

I currently own a stock 2005 Altise V6, haven't changed anything on it except for a set of 17s. I've read somewhere (a little while ago) that the reason why the Sportivo from the same year has 145kW instead of 141kW is due to a low restriction exhaust?

Been thinking of the idea of upgrading the exhaust to give me that additional 4kW? Being a total noob to cars, I'm wondering if simply changing the muffler would be sufficient? Or does the entire exhaust system needs upgrading?

Finally how much do you reckons it's going to be approximately including labour? Are people actually going to feel the 4kW?

Thanks in advance!

According to Toyota, it is just the muffler that makes the 4kw gain. However the bad news is that that muffler is not made anymore and it will be hard to find. I have one of them on my gen4. Its good where it makes no drone whatsoever, not overly loud or obnoxious, and but has a nice deep growl.

Thanks for the quick response :)

Hmm... So you used to be able to get them OEM? I didn't know that! Should have asked this question earlier ;) Could I say go to a wreckers find a written off Sportivo and ask for the muffler to be cut off? ;) I imagine there's no "electronic" variable flow control devices in these "simple" mufflers :)

Would I be able to achieve similar power gains with an aftermarket muffler?

Iv'e got one on my gen4 as well and gotta say it's a nice upgrade :yahoo: .

There should still be some new as there was about 11 left when I bought mine about 6 months ago.

Just hit up you Toyota service department and ask em to search for one in all states if they don't have one in stock, should turn up a few (I think there's some in Canberra).

Oh and if you find one from a wreck it wont need to be cut of just unbolted ;)

You could go with an aftermarket cat back but that's probably going to be louder not too sure if it would make more or less KW though.

Edited by RelishGTP

Hi fellow helpful forum members :)

Ok I've rang 3 different Toyota dealers and they all quoted similar prices in the $3xx range so I might to back to where I purcahsed the car from.

One weird thing tho, 1 place quoted me from what I requested which is a "2005 Camry Sportivo V6 Muffler". The other 2 places both asked me for a chasis number to confirm this because there's some variations? Do you know what they're talking about here? Not having a Sportivo obviously means I won't have the chasis number! Can I just get "ANY" one that fits the description above?

Hi fellow helpful forum members :)

Ok I've rang 3 different Toyota dealers and they all quoted similar prices in the $3xx range so I might to back to where I purcahsed the car from.

One weird thing tho, 1 place quoted me from what I requested which is a "2005 Camry Sportivo V6 Muffler". The other 2 places both asked me for a chasis number to confirm this because there's some variations? Do you know what they're talking about here? Not having a Sportivo obviously means I won't have the chasis number! Can I just get "ANY" one that fits the description above?

Honestly mate, the 4kw is absolutely unnoticeable. I think you would be wasting your money on this muffler. Sure it gives a bit of a deeper sound when you fang it, but thats about as far as it goes. If you were going to spend money on upgrading your muffler, get one that will increase the power a bit more than 4kw. Just my 2 cents.

Hi lateralus, hm... really? I did ask a mate if I could notice 4kW increase and he's told me it should add noticeable diff and that a few hundres for 4kW is worth it? I don't really want to do any serious mods to it, especially anything that involved touching the engine etc. In your opinion how much power increase would you need to be noticed?

Appreciate your experience on this, keep them coming!! :)

Here is the part number for the Sportivo exhaust PZQ1933020 (the price will be $300 +).

Realisticly 4KW isn't going to be the most noticable gain in the world, however it all adds up and I don't really see how an aftermarket exhaust is going to give you much more power than that.

A lot of companies seem to advertise bigger power gains from mufflers but to be honest it's a load of BS.

4KW is actually pretty decent for doing nothing other than a muffler swap.

Actually the best bang for buck mod is about 200-300 for about 20-30hp. The v6 camrys comes with a stupidly designed Y-pipe (where the front and rear banks join). I got mine custom made for $220. You will get a noticable gain up top with this mod. Stock Y-pipe !

post-1929-1216096326_thumb.jpg

And personally I didnt really go out to buy the muffler for the 4kw. I bought it for the no drone whatsoever yet nice sounding exhaust note + a few pops. You probably could get a few more kw from a full custom cat back but it might not sound as good or unobtrusive.

Leon I probably would have got it if I havent bought this one. :P

Edited by STYLSH

• 3 months later...

sorry for bringing up an old thread, thought I'd just add my 2 cents to this :P

not many people know that Toyota for the Gen5 Camry's actually made 3 different mufflers for the cars. The standard one, the stock sportivo one, and the accessory sportivo one.

I should probably explain whats the difference here.

The standard muffler, is found on the Altise, Ateva and 4-cyl Sportivo. Standard sort of thing.

The stock sportivo muffler, only found on the V6 Sportivo and Azuras. This is a variable muffler, meaning it is quiet at lower engine speeds but a valve opens at higher speeds to let the exhaust move more freely. Toyota say that gives the extra 4kw in the V6 (ie: 145kw total), whether it does or not, I dont know, lol.

then there is the accessory sportivo muffler, which as mentioned above is not made anymore and is hard to find. This is a straight through muffler, no fancy valves and things, so it is louder. Power gains and stuff are probably negligible though :P

I upgraded from the stock sportivo to the accessory sportivo muffler on my car, no real power difference (as expected), but it is louder though, I got lucky and found it on sale, so it was worth in that regard. But buying it at RRP is quite steep for what you are getting at the end of the day.

Oh, I certainly didn't know that either! Thanks for the update, but I've already got the stock Sportivo muffler ;) together with a y-pipe upgrade I guess most of the gains I am feeling would be from the y-pipe :P The Camry does sound a bit different once I go past 5k RPM, not sure if that's due to the y-pipe or muffler, should have done a staged upgrade rather than doing them both!!

Well good luck on your sportivo muffler!! (if you haven't got it yet)

Regarding the custom "Y-Pipe" is there a fairly noticable gain? and if so, which range do you feel the increase in pull?

Thanks in advance, just that this Y-Pipe thing is kinda intresting as I would like abit more pull in the range. Cheers!

helloo ha!

hey just wondering guys,

does anyone know, aside from the hard to find rare accessory sportivo muffler, any other mufflers that are...good? (good meaning, not loud but not stock sounding either, and can only be heard if u push it @ high revs - just like the sportivo muffler.)

i hate the look of them fat a$$ cannonball mufflers, and they sound too damn loud for anyone to like it, esp on a camry, and a camry on the freeway - it can be deafening.

prolli asking for too much here. :rolleyes:

Well good luck on your sportivo muffler!! (if you haven't got it yet)

Regarding the custom "Y-Pipe" is there a fairly noticable gain? and if so, which range do you feel the increase in pull?

Thanks in advance, just that this Y-Pipe thing is kinda intresting as I would like abit more pull in the range. Cheers!

Hey, sorry been busy with work lately haven't checked the forums as often as I used to. Well, I haven't done a before and after dyno so I can't really speak with any scientific backing. But the general feel is that the engine revs up quicker through the entire range and I felt the majority of the gain is roughly at 5k RPM. IMO it's definately worth what it costed.