Landing in LIFT on 1 - 2 !!!

As you all know the 1-2 shift requires a lot of skill to get these lil suckers to land in the lift zone... I heard some of the early Celicas had an 8400rpm limit so that extra 200 rpm would have been hell handy...

I think since Ive owned the car Ive landed in Lift on the 1-2 shift about 3 times.. Wicked when it does but sad that I cant repeat it all the time.. I just cant get the knack of it... Is there something Im not doing right.. I think it has something to do with my clutch control.. When I ran 15.6 at the drags with the car I didnt get lift on the 1-2 so Im sure a high 14 second pass aint outta the question...

So those of you that have mastered it Fess up !! PLEASE !!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy in Europe who has recorded a sub 15 quarter in a stock stivo says he leaves his foot a little on the gas during change. Not all the way just enough to keep it reving.

I am a little hesitant to do that as I do not wish to punish the car and especially the clutch. But it seems to work for him.

I find when I try to let the clutch out real quick I get that sudden Kick/shudder through the drivetrain. Have only ever landed in lift 1st to 2nd twice. Boy does it go well when it happens!!!

I find that if u let go of the clutch too quick the whole car feels like its falling apart, it hurts everytime i practise landing in lift :( , only landed once since i got the car, may have to ask others on this 06 Sunday MEETUP on HomeBush how its done.

Put it this way, the car doesent feel like it's loosing momentum, so youre in lift for basically 4400 rpm. Dont know about times but ive had her for just over 5000 k's and when i landed in lift i was like S**T, and it took me by surprise coz i kinda got used to the lift. I managed to land again today so either im getting better at shifting or the gearbox/clutch are wearing in better. I think it's the latter coz this time it landed on 6,300. The vids daniel posted on the old forum, he was landing on 6500 and i timed his run and it was around 7 secs flat to 100kph. Dont worry about the 8.4 toyota claim , thats Bull***t. Launching it at that speed should technically wipe off around 1.5 secs off the q/m time as well. One day we will see without a doubt a sportivo in the low 14's.

He posted 2 vids, one when's hes driving and get's it up to 170 or so to demonstrate he can land in lift in all gears, and the second when he drops the clutch from 6000rpm to demonstrate take off. On the second one i timed his run and it was around seven secs.

I took my mate for a spin last nite, he ownes a Monaro S/C. I managed to land in lift all the time, and let's just say he was very impressed about the car, and he loved the sound. You just gotta step up a notch and shift real quick soon as the needle swings past 8k, bang, it usually lands at 6k or 6100.

Running In (can't find the original thread)

But....what did you guys do in terms of running in?

I've only got 450km on the clock. I SHOULD NOT go past 6,000 rpm at full throttle until i've done 2,000km...right??? :(

will it do any damage if i do use lift now?

The sure fire way to land in lift 1-2 is too just leave your foot slightly on the gas throughout the change this gives the car some more revs when the clutch engages so it lands higher in 2nd about 6100. Its a little brutal but works every time for me.

xtigerx

if u land in lift now at 450 km it wont damage your engine. Some ppl say u have to do 1000 or 2000km or the car will die and others say u gotta drive it normal so the car is used to your driving and others say give it a thrash occasionally.

So if u land in lift a few times it wont matter, just dont make it a habit untill u do 1000km.

cheers

i'm not actually landing if lift during gear changes.

the highest RPM i've gone to is like 7,200.

it was probably at 90% throttle.

i always drop out of lift when i've been up there.

not really thrashing in.

just entering lift..and then dropping out of it. :blink: