parts price help/enquiry... plz help out!

alman162

Hello everyone! I actually own a st162 celica, but my brother owns a 98 Camry with the v6 (i dont know which engine it has, something like a 1mzfe or something along that line?) and he got some quotes for the following:

"$840AUS is for the top engine mount only, 4 shockies, and 2 rocker cover gaskets…"

We were just wondering if those prices are reasonable?

And also, how hard is it to change all those parts. I havent had any experience working on these camry's. However i am semi-mechanical minded :)

had plenty of experience working on my celica lol

we have access to a hoist and tools etc... for the mounts.

how hard is it to do the shocks and i cant see it being very hard changing the rocker cover seals (altho once again i havent had any experience on the camry's...)

Any help would be very much appreciated girls and guys!

Cheers!

Alex

Edited by alman162

That price seems very reasonable...

Take a look at the engine and work out how 'easy' it's gunna be to replace the rear rocker cover gasket... Front one will take 10 mins, rear one will take you the rest of the day lol...

Also, if the top dog bone engine mount is cracked, then the front mount is also stuffed and will need replacing...

Shocks aren't all that hard to do, neither are the mounts, rocker covers are a pain in the ***** tho...

So was $840 just for the parts only or was that parts and labour???

That price seems very reasonable...

Take a look at the engine and work out how 'easy' it's gunna be to replace the rear rocker cover gasket... Front one will take 10 mins, rear one will take you the rest of the day lol...

Also, if the top dog bone engine mount is cracked, then the front mount is also stuffed and will need replacing...

Shocks aren't all that hard to do, neither are the mounts, rocker covers are a pain in the ***** tho...

So was $840 just for the parts only or was that parts and labour???

840 is parts, then labour is something like 1200 :o :(

I think he just booked it in, rego's due and he hasnt got any time off work anyway so it had to be done.... which is a shame as its going to cost him a lot! plus he needs 2 new tyres!

he took it in to get an inspection and quotes at a toyota dealer and thats the only things they said he needed...

they didnt even mention the front mount!!

haha 10 mins for front, rest of the day for the rear.... sounds like fun.... almost as fun as removing a 3sge intake mani while the engines still in the car lol :P

thanks for you help mate!

Yeah, well most of the price is the shocks... Prolly looking at about 600 - 700 alone just for them...

Removing a manifold isn't too bad... Gotta remove the manifold on the camry to get to the rear rocker cover so yeah :P :P :P ...

Taking off the intake manifold isnt hard to do and doesnt really take that long either. And if i were you, i'd change the spark plugs while the intake manifold is off too. And depending on the milage, springs might be another good idea to save on labour later on down the track. It takes the same amount of time to change the shockies than to change the springs and shocks.

thanks guys! hes actually booked it in, ill tell him about the spark plugs and the springs too. they will prob chuck on a few hundred tho to install the springs (on top of the cost of the actual springs) just because they can....

nice looking camry you have there STYLSH!! supercharged is it?

removing the mani isnt too but, but you need tiny hands and loads of patience on the 3s... had to replace the gaskets both sides on the t-vis plate...

i wouldnt mind a camry, with the v6 engine in them they arent too shabby! good platform for a nice sleeper and very practical too!

i'd end up going down the forced induction path tho i'd say :P

my brothers thinking about the s/c option for sometime in the future!

Oh man you guys pay so much more for parts then we do here in the US.

For the rocker cover gaskets, I've been meaning to wrote a DIY for those. I know how to do it by heart at this point. Heck, had the SuperCharger off the car tonight in 25 minutes. The struts I have wrote a DIY up for them for the camry, if you want the links. Let me know. I did them on a '99 Camry 3 weeks back, and doing a '00 Camry Solara next week too.

The top engine mount is a quick 10 minute job, and the engine does not need any support. On my '96 Camry, I just need to make sure the car is at a slight downhill slant (front of car), and the engine tilts at the perfect angle thats it;s a quick bolt/unbolt for a new one.

Geez.. I work in the motor industry and find those prices to cringe by. Im assuming they are genuine Toyota parts only not aftermarket suppliers like pedders etc for shocks?

Thanks, and yup it's supercharged. :P Fun!

i have never experienced supercharger goodness (yet) but i cant wait!!

Thinking about a camry down the track... after im done with my celica :P

$755.42 should be the total of the parts, you have listed. If you have any further enquiries please contact me on my email.

Thanks heaps mate for the quotes. that was about the right price then!

Oh man you guys pay so much more for parts then we do here in the US.

For the rocker cover gaskets, I've been meaning to wrote a DIY for those. I know how to do it by heart at this point. Heck, had the SuperCharger off the car tonight in 25 minutes. The struts I have wrote a DIY up for them for the camry, if you want the links. Let me know. I did them on a '99 Camry 3 weeks back, and doing a '00 Camry Solara next week too.

The top engine mount is a quick 10 minute job, and the engine does not need any support. On my '96 Camry, I just need to make sure the car is at a slight downhill slant (front of car), and the engine tilts at the perfect angle thats it;s a quick bolt/unbolt for a new one.

i would love a copy/links of the DIY for what ever you have and want to share! I will no doubt be needing them in the future :)

sounds like you've 'been there, done that' a fair bit lol 25 mins, thats impressive!!

Geez.. I work in the motor industry and find those prices to cringe by. Im assuming they are genuine Toyota parts only not aftermarket suppliers like pedders etc for shocks?

and finally haha yeah, they are all genuine toyota parts.. thats the reasoning behind the higher price i guess!

thanks heaps guys for the response!

this seems to be a pretty active forum! lots of handy info and knowledgeable people!

As for the struts, do not bother with OEM Toyota. Your best bet, if you have the brand there, is KYB-GR2's, which are just as good, but cheaper.

As for the DIY's, just scrool down a tad to General Maintmence DIY's, there are a lot more besides my own: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t220549.html

My DIY is for the Gen 3 Camry (Model before the '98), but it is all the same. The suspension is nearly identicle.