Second hand Echos

Milgram

G'day all,

I am a Camry driver but am looking to help my sister buy her first car in the next 12 months or so.

I am set on recommending the Toyota Echo to her - I drove one for a week whilst on holiday in Queensland last year and was very much impressed by the zip, economy and the fact it felt like I was driving something bigger. The clutch took some getting use to, its much lighter and has less travel than my Touring, but I was sad to hand the car back!

We are looking at the sedan in the Series II model (post 2003?) and am just wondering what to look for and what sort of maintenance these cars require - e.g. do they have a timing belt?

Cheers.

there's no timing belt on the echo. chain driven.

if i were your sister, tell her to get the new yaris. the Echo tend to be abit bumpy, doesnt take bumps really well. besides that the 1.5L is better than the 1.3L engine. If you're getting the sedan then you'll get the 1.5L

goodluck!

I agree that the bumps can get the better of the Echo, but it's just so reliable. My girlfriend bought a 2000 model new and she's absolutely never had a major issue, even after several accidents. I once drove a Yaris (2006 I think?) and was impressed by the power it had for such a small displacement (1.5L) engine. In a straight line it's really stable and solid for a deceptively small car.

I would highly recommend both of these cars. It probably just comes down to budget and aesthetics.

Edited by Keisari

Go a new Yaris, far superior vehicle to an Echo. And besides, Echos hold their value fairly well, and you only need to spend a few more K's to get into a new vehicle. You should be able to pick up a new YR 3 door manual for around $15K drive away.

what you have to look for is.... make sure it isn't an Ex-Pizza Delivery car :)

Another is... if it has ever been in any accidents before... don't buy it.

Better off purchasing a new one of these.

hahaha! our pizza shop used to have one before. We sold it to one of the workers. she happy! :toast:

I was looking at a little 06 Yaris Auto, it was a ex-pizza delivery car! Why is it bad to buy one of these?

hahaha! our pizza shop used to have one before. We sold it to one of the workers. she happy! :toast:

I was looking at a little 06 Yaris Auto, it was a ex-pizza delivery car! Why is it bad to buy one of these?

Because the cars are thrashed... especially the automatics. You know the line... if it's so and so minutes late... you get the pizza free... so they rush and thrash these little economical cars to the ground. They come with lots of panel damage, interior stinks of pizza... might even notice what the car did on it's last run... probably Meat Lovers with extra cheese x10, etc...

How I know this is because my mate is a "Dougie" LOL. When they turn up to the lights some young guns think these pizza boys are there for a race... but really they aren't.

Anyways just make sure you don't buy an ex-pizza delivery car otherwise expect future headaches ;)

• 8 months later...

Traded my Echo in earlier this week, it was metallic black,alloys, spoiler, park senseors, tinted windows, 5 door 05, only had 46000km, best car I ever owned, never a problem, fuel economy fantastic. Got a fantastic price on trade in. Had a Yaris (hire car) for two weeks, absolutely hated it, apart from the bigger motor I found it uncomfortable and too plastic, the boot on the hatch was odd too it had what I can only describe as a step in it and couldn't fit a pram in it. Would recommend an Echo over Yaris any day ( but thats just my opinion) only parted with it as the kids were getting too big.

Cheers Trent