Bucket seats

trdsaads

Hey guys & girls!

Im looking at getting a pair of bucket seats for the Corolla but would like to know whats involved in the fitting process?

I've spoken to some friends and some say i need custom rails made up, and others say i can use my exsisting gear with universal sliders or something???

If i do need custom stuff made, where would i go to get them made up?

At the moment im just trying to get an idea of what needs to be done, and go from there. Im pretty sure Bride make rails for the ZZE122, if im correct.

Any info will be great.

Hey guys & girls!

Im looking at getting a pair of bucket seats for the Corolla but would like to know whats involved in the fitting process?

I've spoken to some friends and some say i need custom rails made up, and others say i can use my exsisting gear with universal sliders or something???

If i do need custom stuff made, where would i go to get them made up?

At the moment im just trying to get an idea of what needs to be done, and go from there. Im pretty sure Bride make rails for the ZZE122, if im correct.

Any info will be great.

Jaymie I was wondering the same thing. I don't know where the hell to get custom rails made and engineered :blink:

im just some of the high end brands should have rails? (Bride, recaro or sparco etc) Just remember fixed buckets and recliners use different rails...im not excatly sure which uses which though.

The stock rails can be modified, however I am not sure how legal this is. The other options are to buy the fixed mounts and bolt them to the car. 3mm thick for steel and 6mm for aluminium with high tensile bolts from memory. Or buy the seat rails that the seat maker sells. Either way you'll need to have a mod plate fitted to the car to have a bucket seat legally fitted.

The clause for using original seat mounts is for using a seat that was an option by the vehicle manufacturer. Eg, STi bucket seats into a WRX. The second half of the quote is the one to read regarding putting aftermarket bucket seats in.

Seats supplied as an option by the vehicle manufacturer may be fitted. An Engineers report is not required for this type of seat replacement provided;

- the original seat mountings are used, and

In cases where the replacement seat is not one offered as an option by the vehicle manufacturer and the vehicle was manufactured on or after 1 January 1969 an Engineer's report showing continued compliance with the applicable ADR's will be required.

Unless I missed another part in there about seat rails :unsure:

So i take it, i need to go to a metal fabrication place to either get the stock rails modified or new ones made up.

The seats im looking at are the Recaro's from a DC5 ITR or a EK CTR. I wonder if recaro have rails to suit our cars.....

So i take it, i need to go to a metal fabrication place to either get the stock rails modified or new ones made up.

The seats im looking at are the Recaro's from a DC5 ITR or a EK CTR. I wonder if recaro have rails to suit our cars.....

For fixed mounting you can use these sparcoalside.jpg (link if they take the picture down: click!)

Otherwise you can use the seat rails for the Corolla from the seat maker.

If you talk to any of the racing supply shops they can point you towards an Engineer to approve the mods you want to make to your car. Plus they have stock so you can try out the seats to make sure it actually fits you and recommend other things to you. And if you go in wearing out there floor stock and using their time, at least spend the little bit extra and buy the seat from them. At least you have it instantly and have warranty.

For fixed mounting you can use these sparcoalside.jpg (link if they take the picture down: click!)

Otherwise you can use the seat rails for the Corolla from the seat maker.

If you talk to any of the racing supply shops they can point you towards an Engineer to approve the mods you want to make to your car. Plus they have stock so you can try out the seats to make sure it actually fits you and recommend other things to you. And if you go in wearing out there floor stock and using their time, at least spend the little bit extra and buy the seat from them. At least you have it instantly and have warranty.

Cool!

Thanks Dave and everyone who've chipped in, ill go to some places around Perth and see how i go with the rails and see what seats are on offer! :)

Wait wait, I am confused lol :P

I was looking at the Bride EUROII, so you cant just get the bride MO rails that Nengun claim will fit our cars and bolt the (I am an idiot i swear) in and roberts your mothers brother??

• 7 months later...

i'v been looking into this for awhile now, and i'v sent a few emails to engineers and a lot of their replys are "sorry we can't help you because of your drivers airbag" (i'll post up some email replys soon)

however i have found one guy who is willing to fit a set in for me and aprove it providing he makes his own brackets from the standard rails..

he's asking $800+, just for fitting the seats and a certificate of aproval..

is it just me or does it sound like a lot???...

in my old car i had bucket seats installed, paid $180 for the installation, they used my existing rails and custom fitted the bucket seats!

about a month before i installed the seats i got pulled over for a canary, while he was checking out my car i asked him a few questions about mods..

one of them was the buckets seats, asked if i needed a certificate and all that, and he said NO, he said as long as they are secure and doesnt shake then they are fine... i thought that was strange but i got the seats installed anyways...

after getting them installed... i got pulled over a few months later driving down claridon street after work.. copped another canary but they didnt do me for the seats!

they asked me to jump out so they can check the bucket seats, they just grabbed it from the top and gave it a shake, and they said it was fine!

i guess not all cops know the rules and stuff... either that or they dont care!

thats my 2 cents

correct me if im wrong but isent it illegal to put full racing buckets in any car with rear seating any way?

My understanding of this was that if the car is a 2 door with rear seats if you replace the front seats they must be able to recline forward so you still have access to the rear seats. If it is a 4 door or you don't have rear seats then you can have racing buckets. I hope that is along the right lines as my mate is installing a v8 supercar seat they he picked up into his 325 bimmer