Cheapest place to buy this keyfob?

cosmichobo

G'day,

Per below - 2000 Camry keyfob is dead... and can't have a new battery. :(

Just got 2 quotes for a replacement - $40 (Oldmac Toyota, Springwood Qld) and $64 (Southside Toyota Mt Gravatt Qld). First one uncoded, 2nd wouldnt quote me uncoded.

Anyone know a cheaper place to get them? Just had to pay $300 excess on a broken window thanks to some prick who threw a rock... need to save all the $$ I can... even if it's only $10

Cheers

cosmic

--------

G'day,

Been trying to open this:

key.jpg

But just feels like it's gonna break.

I'm trying to lever it from the end with the ring on it... - there's lots of other scratch marks where it's been opened before from that spot... I can get maybe a few millimeters gap, but about half way down on each side it appears to have something holding it tight...

There's no screws...

Can anyone give me a guide to getting into this darn thing? The batteries were dying... now completely dead...

cheers

cosmic

Edited by cosmichobo

i like to laugh at people who stand at their car for 2 mins pressing the remote harder and harder until the car unlocks when they can use the key instead.

unfortunately, that sums my girlfriend up :P

Just paid $40 inc gst for one...

"Coded" it in the carpark.

Definitely glad I tried it myself and didn't pay an extra $20 for them to do it (!).

Now I'll break the old one open and see if I can't get it going again too... though not much use for it without another key as well, which I was informed needs to also be coded, should I get one...

Edited by cosmichobo

Just paid $40 inc gst for one...

"Coded" it in the carpark.

Definitely glad I tried it myself and didn't pay an extra $20 for them to do it (!).

Now I'll break the old one open and see if I can't get it going again too... though not much use for it without another key as well, which I was informed needs to also be coded, should I get one...

yeah, the keys with the transponder need to be coded. make sure you have the master key to copy it though. i think it costs $40 for toyota to copy the code, and takes about 10 mins (if someone gets off their ***** and gets the car and the key straight away, otherwise you could be there for up to an hour!)

I've been thinking of getting another spare set as well....I went to a locksmith that did keys and he said that I can't buy the keys off ebay and program the remote with it...Anyone tried it out?

i think if it involves the immobiliser system on your car, i wouldn't be getting anything off ebay. it may cost extra, but id personally go genuine all the way

at least you can't go wrong with it, ey!

Ok guys this may save you all a few $$.

Gen4 &Gen4.5

How to program a remote/fob

Insert master key and cycle from off to on 3 times within 5 seconds (3rd time leave on)

Push the button on your new remote and you will see your indicators flash.

Turn key to off, hop out of your car and test your remote cause your done :D

Toyota charges over $30 for that.

How to program a second master key

All doors closed

Insert existing master key

Turn key from lock to on 5 times (5th time keep it on)

Open and close drivers door 6 times

Remove key

Insert new key

Switch to on

Keep at on for more than 60 seconds

Remove key

Open door to finish procedure :D

Toyota charges $70+ for this

Both these methods work, Ive done them myself with no issues and saved a few $$

Edited by RelishGTP

Ok guys this may save you all a few $$.

Gen4 &Gen4.5

Both these methods work, Ive done them myself with no issues and saved a few $$

Um - Gen4 and Gen4.5 - is that the Jan 2000 Camry? :)

If I can get the "dead" remote key to work again, then I think I might go get another key cut and try that out! I have a black key, so it's a Master.

Certainly hate the thought of paying $70 for THAT! Bad enough I nearly let my wife talk me into paying them to code the remote!

• 4 months later...

Having this problem with my remote, at the moment. Mine is 5 yo whereas my wife has the original remote (9 yo) and it's still working. This thread has been a goldmine. Will go and get an uncoded one from a Toyota dealer and do it myself. :yahoo:

Bob

I got quoted $36 from motorama 4x4xmore on beaudesert road near morooka. The parts person just told me to go to the service department to get a quote for the install, and the guy there just went and said. Bring the car round and I'll do it for you for free. :) This was about 4months ago though.