Sportivo Gear crunch

Does anybody have this gear crunching problem with their sportivo?? my gears been really rough when changing btwn gears especially to reverse and first to 2nd gear..my friends celica have the same problem but he says all 6 sp gearboxes are like that so im not too sure if its a normal thing or my gearbox fault. Anyone knows how to fix it?? its really annoying cos its hard to land lift into 2nd gear with all tht crunch..

PS: i did a search b4 but cant find anything helpful =)

yeah I had the same problem with my 03 sportivo.. its a warranty issue.. i got mine fixed with toyota.. after complaining for 3 months and writing to toyota australia. I think all they had to do was change something with the clutch. I think the clutch wasnt going all the way down when u had your foot balls to the wall.. so when u changed gear it wasnt fully down so you were forcing it in.

This was a big issue and this forum was full of angry customers.. so many pages of complaints....

reverse always crunches, can't fix that, it's because there isn't a syncro on it.

me and others just shift the car into 3rd or something before reverse to align the gears first

i've found with my clutch even with it all the way in there is still a little bit further you can go to completely disengage it, but I can still change gears with normal driving, could just be my bearing is very old though.

1st gear doesn't want to engage at times.... annoying when you're at a red light with 50000000000000000000000000 cars behind you

I was looking at the clutch adjustment guide but couldn't make any sense of it...

really only time my gear box crunches is 3rd to 4th in lift....

hmm ill try that later, shifting into 3rd before reverse,

through the gears its fine for me, though there are some times when im pushing it into neutral and it feels funny :) could jus be me lol

Hahaha the famous 2ZZ crunching gearbox issue.... There is no fix to this, only a new clutch I guess. A friend of mine had this issue down to the bone, and he put in an Exety HD Clutch and its gone now. It still crunches, but it still quickshifts while in Lift. Only thing that's ****** is his synchro's. FLATSHIFTING FTW!!! :toast:

When the sportivos first came out I did a bunch of overhauls on these g/box's at my dealership. There was a fault with

the synchros which caused them to wear too quickly. Like within the first 20 000kms which is just ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure Toyota superseeded the part, so those of you who were lucky enough to complain within the warranty period

probably won't have an issue.

I also replaced a bunch of shift cables for the 6spds which were causing hard shifting.

Hahaha the famous 2ZZ crunching gearbox issue.... There is no fix to this, only a new clutch I guess. A friend of mine had this issue down to the bone, and he put in an Exety HD Clutch and its gone now. It still crunches, but it still quickshifts while in Lift. Only thing that's ****** is his synchro's. FLATSHIFTING FTW!!! :toast:

Flatshifting is quite an expensive hobby to keep :P

Not if you're good at it. Jamming it in gear without a clutch is not the same as flatchanging

Hahaha I ****** my gbox 3 times because of flatshifting hahaha...

Not if you're good at it. Jamming it in gear without a clutch is not the same as flatchanging

So your saying, flatshifting is less strain on the synchro and the gear without using the clutch?

I need answers!! :P

Hahaha I ****** my gbox 3 times because of flatshifting hahaha...

So your saying, flatshifting is less strain on the synchro and the gear without using the clutch?

I need answers!! :P

They actually make gear box's without synchros called a 'dog box'. As long as you get the RPM perfect for the vehicle speed you don't need the synchro. All the synchro does is slow down or speed up the gear you're trying to engage. So if you can manually get the input and output speeds the same, you can change safely without the synchro

May I suggest three things

1. Put into first first, twice, then into reverse (this is advice from this forum), works a treat

2. Put in some new gearbox oil, i put in 75w90 castrol... it was good stuff, bout $25 a bottle - 2 bottles needed

3. Hit lift in first, then go straight to 6thh,improve fuel economy and less gear changes

whitestivo