Shaking steering wheel

I've recently put on aftermarket rims 17x7.5 +42 with tire size 205/45ZR17, I noticed that that when I’m driving on the freeway the steering wheel would shakes. At first I thought the wheels is out of balance so I went to Bob Jane and got it rebalanced but the problem still exist. After much researched on the internet I found out that with aftermarket rims I need to put on hub rings so the wheels would sit more centered. So today I went to the tires factory and got the hub rings put in but when I was driving home on the freeway the steering wheel still shakes. Does anyone know how I can solve this problem? It’s driving me nuts btw I’m driving a 2005 corolla sportivo.

I dont know a great deal about rims etc.... but if u've done the wheel balancing and alignment, then i guess the last thing you could do is check your actual new rims.... maybe they're "buckled".... you might want to look into it...

I dont know a great deal about rims etc.... but if u've done the wheel balancing and alignment, then i guess the last thing you could do is check your actual new rims.... maybe they're "buckled".... you might want to look into it...

I havent done the alignment yet as i dont think it would help with the shaking problem.

I got the rims second hand and by looking at it, it doesnt look like its buckle. What else can i do to see if the rims is buckle or not?

I havent done the alignment yet as i dont think it would help with the shaking problem.

I got the rims second hand and by looking at it, it doesnt look like its buckle. What else can i do to see if the rims is buckle or not?

Thats the thing, like i told you, im not too experienced with wheels.... i think its got to do with the weights on the inside dish of the rim.... if you bought them 2nd hand, then there can be a possibility one or 2 of the wheels may be buckled. Did you try swapping the back rims to the front? maybe give that a go....

Guys, think beyond the wheels category. There could be many reasons why your steering is shaking, and it might have been a coincidence that once u got new wheels it started happening.

Trying looking at other things. Brake discs could be one off the top of my head. HAppened to me 3 years back when I had my old car, everytime I drove on the freeway at around 80kph it happened. Replaced each brake disc one at a time and found out one of them was the problem. apparently somebody (probably me) had accidentally bumped and damaged (my guess would be me rotating tires and hit the disc a bit hard) the disc. hence the vibration, especially when applying the brake to stop.

just a thought. maybe it is the balance and alignment afterall ! :lol:

did u get these little ring things that sit in the centre of the rim and hub there desiged to centralise after market rims

did u get these little ring things that sit in the centre of the rim and hub there desiged to centralise after market rims

He already got hub rings.

What you need next are or some wheel alignment.

Brakes could only contribute to the vibrating/shaking when you brake and the steering wheel shudders. This could be cause by one side of the brake discs being thinner than the other. Get the thickness of the brake discs checked out.

ity could be the cv shafts i think its a common prob with zze12# series rollas my mums car does it as well n shehas stock rims remind me to enquire bout that at work

He already got hub rings.

What you need next are or some wheel alignment.

Brakes could only contribute to the vibrating/shaking when you brake and the steering wheel shudders. This could be cause by one side of the brake discs being thinner than the other. Get the thickness of the brake discs checked out.

Would getting a wheel alignment really help? I thought wheel alignment only make the car travel in a straight direction so that wont address the shaking issue

The shaking/vibration only occur when travelling on the freeway and not when applying the brakes.

I might get the wheels rebalance again...I got a feeling that Bob Jane did a half ***** job on it. Can anyone recommend a good wheel balance place in the northern area?

Find a solution before you do too much more driving. I don't have an answer sorry, but mind that this shaking severely reduces the lifespan of your tyres. Good ones for an 05 sportivo are like $250 each :P

Soon you'll be pumping up your tyres with air every second day otherwise.

Before you spend more money, why not put back the standard wheels and tyres that didn't make your car shake before the new wheels were installed? Start from one end and work your way back to the steering wheel. Seems like a logical way to solve a problem.

I just check my tires pressure before with a digital meter and all four tires are sitting on around 23.5 psi. Can this contribute to the steering wheel shaking and also what psi should I pump the tire to for 17" rims?

Edited by Sportivo VVTL-i

Did you ask for an alignment or simply a balance? Maybe they only did a balance...or the other thing they do is they fix up the toe but don't bother with the camber and castor. Do Corollas have adjustable camber and castor? I don't know alot about rollas specifically, but I do know I always specify I want all three checked and to set to spec along with a full four wheel alignment most of the time. Though with four wheel steering and RWD, it's more critical for me than for you, but definitely specify you want all three adjusted if possible.

Balanced wheels will still shake the whole car around at high speeds. Especially if the castor is out.

Two other thoughts. One, who put the wheels on for you? Perhaps they cross threaded a bolt or didn't tighten them enough, causing shake at high speeds.

Two, why is your pressure so low, under 30 is a concern, especially so much. Maybe the wheels weren't properly put on the rim or the bead has broken and they are losing air? That would definitely cause shaking at high speeds. :blink:

BTW, I'm replying here out of the blue as I'm bored at home and just came on to check if anything had been said about the crappy bluetooth in the Corolla Conquests. Have you guys heard how bad it is trying to talk with someone over that system...man I hope they fix that :/

Edited by vbevan

Did you ask for an alignment or simply a balance? Maybe they only did a balance...or the other thing they do is they fix up the toe but don't bother with the camber and castor. Do Corollas have adjustable camber and castor? I don't know alot about rollas specifically, but I do know I always specify I want all three checked and to set to spec along with a full four wheel alignment most of the time. Though with four wheel steering and RWD, it's more critical for me than for you, but definitely specify you want all three adjusted if possible.

Balanced wheels will still shake the whole car around at high speeds. Especially if the castor is out.

Two other thoughts. One, who put the wheels on for you? Perhaps they cross threaded a bolt or didn't tighten them enough, causing shake at high speeds.

Two, why is your pressure so low, under 30 is a concern, especially so much. Maybe the wheels weren't properly put on the rim or the bead has broken and they are losing air? That would definitely cause shaking at high speeds. :blink:

BTW, I'm replying here out of the blue as I'm bored at home and just came on to check if anything had been said about the crappy bluetooth in the Corolla Conquests. Have you guys heard how bad it is trying to talk with someone over that system...man I hope they fix that :/

Probably a bit off topic, but my bluetooth works fine!

I only ask for a wheel balance because I thought my alignment is still in order as the steering wheel is not pulling to the left or the right.

Should Bob Jane have checked the tire pressure when they're doing the wheel balancing? Would it throw off the balance if the tires are not fully inflated when the wheel balance was done?

I have pump my tires up to 35 psi and it somewhat reduced the shaking but now I find the shaking comes and go when doing more than 100.

On the tire wall it says max 50psi so is 35psi be enough or should I go up more?

Got to agree with the others, 23.5 is way too low, 35 or even a bit higher is the go. BUT you will need a wheel alignment...Most modern cars don't have much in the way of camber and caster adjusment, only Toe in/Toe out... The others usually require suspension parts replacement/repair..

I don't know where it is on your car, but most cars have the recommended inflation pressures of the tires on a sticker that's either on the inner part of the drivers side door jam or in the glovebox. My car is 32-34 PSI as the recommended pressure (300ZX), your car would be near that. Running them with so little pressure means the tyres will go bald before you know it.

Also, just because the steering doesn't pull to one side doesn't mean the suspension is fine. For example, if the camber is out on both sides the car will drive straight but the inside of the tires will get chewed up really quickly. It's always worth getting an alignment done if you change wheels or tyres.

BTW, the tyre placard will look something like this:

17tyreplacard9111577nl4.jpg

Edited by vbevan