CUTTING DOWN GEAR STICK

SQU-47N

If i cut down my gear stick will it be harder to shift...?? My mate just did it to his magna and said its much better, but i thought it would be harder to shift because its just like holding ur hand half way down shifter to change gears??? What u guys think??

Just simple physics. By shortening the gear stick, you are reducing your lever advantage. The distance you move your hand/wrist/arm is shortened ever so slightly, but the force required to shift is increased. Depending on your own everyday strength, this may or may not be a problem.

If i cut down my gear stick will it be harder to shift...?? My mate just did it to his magna and said its much better, but i thought it would be harder to shift because its just like holding ur hand half way down shifter to change gears??? What u guys think??

Better in what way? If he's saying that it's better because it feels shorter, fair enough. But if he's saying it's better because it's easier to shift, he is lying. DJKOR is spot-on with the physics.

The amount of leverage you have multiplies the force. Cutting your gear stick down 50% will increase the force required by you by 100%, as described by:

W = F . d

W = mechanical work

F = force

d = distance

Edited by Keisari

I shortened the stock shifter in one of my Mazdas, and it was awesome! It gave the best balance of throw and height I could hope to achieve.

However, to offset the reduced throw, you should add a WEIGHTED gearknob to make the shifts easier. But if your clutch is good, it doesn't matter so much...

Gav.

To make it a true short shifter you actually have to modify the pivot point a-la rollamods. If you just take an angle grinder and shear half the shaft off then you may as well just change gears with your hand half way down the stick as someone else said.

Most ppl buy a short shifter to reduce the height of the shift knob, not to save 10ths via reduced throw. You've got short height shifters and short throw shifters, most do both.

Chopping a stock shifter can be fiddly, but the end result is much more graceful than holding a gear stick by it's throat, and trying to change gear that way...

I had a TWM and a chopped shifter on one of my Mazdas, and I much prefered the shortened stock shifter, as the throw was reduced, and by about the amount which I wanted.

Cheers, Gav.

shortened height shifters are a waste of time...

reduced throw however is where its at!!!

next time you see any REAL sports, or Race car take note of the driving position and the distance from Steerer to Shifter...

IMO... the sportivo has it pretty good... the gear nob is just by the knee... any further away and having to reach for it all the time would get very annoying.

Basically doing it for looks, sick of the height looks heaps crap, and dont wanna buy a trd short shifter as im selling it start of next year so yeh, might justleave it, ill prob only stuff it up haha.

Thanks for all the advice guys