Click sound on full wheel lock

Ric M

Hi Guys,

I park my car in a public car park each day and when driving up each level I notice a click sound when turning the steering on full lock as I go around each corner, only very faint so you need to have the stereo off and windows up and no other noise to hear it....has anyone noticed any clicks when turning full lock??

I may be too sensative so you can tell me if I am!

Cheers

the only thing i can think of with like older cars is when the CV joints go .....do a google search on clicking noise + wheel on full lock might get some news for you straight away.....some more mechanical brained ppl will respond on here fairly soon though

• 3 weeks later...

I have had knocking sound in the front end which i can feel through the steering wheel of my Kluger for about 5000km now. It would only do it when i turned left but now does it when i turn both directions.

I have had it back to Toyota quite a few times, they have had the whole steering column apart but still can't find the problem. It is now getting worse so i will see what they can find this time.

Edited by morisani

• 1 year later...

whilst on holidays my kxs awd has developed the clicking sound now when also turning left, now it seems everytime i turn left it happens quite often.

Very annoying to have it there, did anyone get a resolution or cause of this noise???? its going in next friday for this, also drivers window had a huge BANG noise like a rock hitting it(but it wasnt a rock, it was a noise inside the door itself, and now when it is about 2/3 down it has a crack sound , still goes up and down but not testing it anymore inccase it doesnt go back up!

Also 12v socket stopped working(lucky there is two in front)

Also side step black grip thing is coming off on one of the doors.

hmmmm.....just a 10 day holiday and all these go wrong plus a great huge stone dent on the bonnet, right in the middle!!

whilst on holidays my kxs awd has developed the clicking sound now when also turning left, now it seems everytime i turn left it happens quite often.

Very annoying to have it there, did anyone get a resolution or cause of this noise????

My KX-R had this annoying clicking noise in the steering and it is now fixed thankfully. After reading on this forums and others, I thought that my car was also victim to a common steering column fault and that replacing the steering column would be the answer.....

Well after 2 visits, I`m pleased to say that Penrith Toyota found out what was causing the clicking at low speed.....it was caused by 2 loose bolts that fix the engine to the chassis. What was happening, was that there are a total of 4 bolts, and 2 of them were loose up the back. When the steering wheel was turned, ie for parking etc, the body would flex away from the engine, thus causing this clicking noise. So they simply tightened these 2 bolts with the air gun (They said it took 1 and a half turns) and the problem has not been heard since.

I asked how did it get like this, (my car has 33,000km on it) and he said that sometimes they simply come from the factory like that and sometimes they will work a little loose. Nothing is to blame, and that it is just one of those wierd things.

I`m happy with that.

it started when going on fast bends now happens on every left turn, havet tried too many rights but seems to have multiple clicks. dont know if it is as simplee as some lose bolts...maybe it is hopefully.

Well my clicking was quite intermittent, irregular occurring, but regularly heard....if that makes some sorta sense. It wasn`t happening on every tight left or right turn, whether or not it was with the same amount of turn or same speed, and sometimes it ranged from 1 big click to a whole heaps of little clicks, say 6 in a row, but there was always something to be heard and felt when parking or driving at low speed.

• 1 month later...