Ideas on engine upgrade

engines are like 8 grand or something.

for double that price you can pick up a sportivo.

and i think you could sell your car for more than 8 grand.

plus u dont have to worry about putting the engine in yourself

engines are like 8 grand or something.

for double that price you can pick up a sportivo.

and i think you could sell your car for more than 8 grand.

plus u dont have to worry about putting the engine in yourself

yes a brand spanka is about 8K-10K ..... crated from toyota ..... a 2nd hand one would probably setup u back between 2K-3K .....

as has been advised ..... ur best bet .... sell ur car & buy a sportivo

I was pondering a hypothetical situation where my 1zz could possibly be swapped for a 2003 toyota rav4 2.0l vvt-i.

rav4:

Maximum power 110kW @ 6000rpm

Maximum torque 192Nm @ 4000rpm

(specs found HERE)

compared to the 1.8 1zz...

Maximum power 93kW @ 6000rpm

Maximum torque 161Nm @ 4200rpm

(specs found HERE)

and then the 1.8 2zz...

Maximum power 141kW @ 7800rpm

Maximum torque 180Nm @ 6800rpm

(specs found HERE)

im not gonna pretend to be an expert when it comes to these sorts of numbers.. but how would this engine fare as a possible engine swap for the 1zz?

ive got magazines where supra engines have been transplanted into a cressida (reference:fast fours magazine August 2008, pp106-109) and a hiace of all things(reference:ZOOM magazine, No.123, page 111)... so i guess you can fit any decent toyota engine into any toyota engine bay (with a bit of work)?!

i understand when you look at the typical rav you dont think "performance" or "fast".. but my general understanding is that this 2.0l would be an impovement on the 1.8 1zz.

on the other hand.. would it be worth the $$$ to do something like this? even though it is not a supra engine... (wouldnt want 1 though anyway)... i was only considering N/A engine upgrades that would < stock sportivo. (lol that sounds stupid for some reason) hard to compare since the 2.0 doesnt have lift, which would probebly be a deciding factor if the 2 went head 2 head...

in my head, a 2.0L replacing the 1.8 makes sense? how would you think the rav4 engine would deal with the lighter weight of the corolla compared to the weight of the rav4?

Edited by J_J

well as u've said urself .... anything is possible .....

the thing for me is if u were gona try n do this engine swap u might as well make it worth ur while

why aim @ the 1AZ .... the 2AZ will deliver 117kW @ 5700rpm & 218Nm @ 4000-4000rpm .... this is the engine out of the new camry .... 2.4L of N/A grunt .... lol ( i would say 2GR (200kW @ 6200rpm & 336Nm @ 4700rpm) but this project needs 2 atleast b affordable ;) )

now the 2nd thing that comes to mind is the engine mounts and gear box ..... not 2 sure where it all fairs on either of these engines i.e. whether the mounts are closely comparable to the 1zz ..... if not some fabrication would be needed .... also on the box whether u can just drop it in & go ..... i dont think u will with the rav given its 4x4 ..... i dont think there is a 1AZ in the aussie market thats a fwd ..... so again if u can opt for the 2AZ and its 5 speed box and it all mates up .... sweet.

I am think the 2AZ is also potentially the best option for any ZRE owners as well ..... but again the above points would need to be looked into.

The other things u need to consider is the weight of these engines ..... i had a weight for the 1zz somewhere but putting either of the above 2 setups in if they weigh considerably more then thats going to have an impact on the dynamics of the car and how it handles when its weight is being swung through corners so need 2 look @ that aspect as well i.e. sussy setup.

given more power & torque a few other upgrades would be handy like ... ahem .... brakes .... lol ..... kinda need 2 stop ;)

then u need something thats gonna drive everything ..... i.e. the ECU ..... not 2 sure if ur adaptronic, haltec's etc will do the job .... mayb they will .... again probably b a first .....

once u've worked all that out ull have ur usual fun with all the different plumbing ..... again remember toyota never planned on swapping and changing these engines etc so they might not make it the easiest job for u .... ive seen that with the 2zz powered celica vs the sportivo ..... which apparantly "shared" designs & things still proved 2 b a biatch when using celica bits.

going back 2 the box shafts would b another thing that comes 2 mind .... either ur going to have to c if u can mate the 1zz box 2 these engines or if u need 2 go the other way if ur shafts will do the job ....

nothing is impossible .... u just need 2 do all the investigation work .... speak 2 the right people ..... do the job right.

i dont think u will with the rav given its 4x4 ..... i dont think there is a 1AZ in the aussie market thats a fwd ..... so again if u can opt for the 2AZ and its 5 speed box and it all mates up .... sweet.

Surely a 2AZ gearbox would bolt up to a 1AZ? They're in a FWD config in Rav4s, just with a transfer case for the rear wheels. It's not like the 1AZ is in a north-south config in the Rav

The other things u need to consider is the weight of these engines ..... i had a weight for the 1zz somewhere but putting either of the above 2 setups in if they weigh considerably more then thats going to have an impact on the dynamics of the car and how it handles when its weight is being swung through corners so need 2 look @ that aspect as well i.e. sussy setup.

The weight of the 2AZ shouldn't be a problem, their an all-alloy engine, and I remember a few years ago when they were used in a roadster concept that apparently the 2AZ is the lightest factory 2.4L in the world. Certainly a lot lighter than the S-series it replaced.

i dont think u will with the rav given its 4x4 ..... i dont think there is a 1AZ in the aussie market thats a fwd ..... so again if u can opt for the 2AZ and its 5 speed box and it all mates up .... sweet.

Surely a 2AZ gearbox would bolt up to a 1AZ? They're in a FWD config in Rav4s, just with a transfer case for the rear wheels. It's not like the 1AZ is in a north-south config in the Rav

The weight of the 2AZ shouldn't be a problem, their an all-alloy engine, and I remember a few years ago when they were used in a roadster concept that apparently the 2AZ is the lightest factory 2.4L in the world. Certainly a lot lighter than the S-series it replaced.

i beleave your correst toyota want say yes but i know for a fact that a 4a ge/fe trans will bolt to a 7afe as long as the letters are the same the blocks the same the numer only refers to engine capacity letter block cast (to my knowledge) if you do find im wrong let me know cause i like to know wat will work and wat wont

average stock 2005 sportivo are going for 20-22k that ive seen around

i say like everyone else sell your car and put in a little bit more and buy a sportivo

theres a nice one for sale atm heres the link ;)

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/priva...id=10F7D87B99DB

Steven.

Haha slick one Steve. Your good at making it blend in smoothly B)

sportivo has 141 kw, 1225 kg

your car has 100kw, around 1180kg

so a cheaper solution pull 300kg out of your car, you will keep up with a sportivo. I'm sure it could be done, aluminium panels and alike.

whitestivo

It would be very hard to find 300kg to remove, it might be possible, but don't expect the car to be street legal :lol:

TRD SPORTIVO: Where are you located?

average stock 2005 sportivo are going for 20-22k that ive seen around

i say like everyone else sell your car and put in a little bit more and buy a sportivo

theres a nice one for sale atm heres the link ;)

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/priva...id=10F7D87B99DB

Steven.

Haha slick one Steve. Your good at making it blend in smoothly B)

ahahah thanks andy ;)

IN SYDNEY

i can send it to you =]

sportivo has 141 kw, 1225 kg

your car has 100kw, around 1180kg

so a cheaper solution pull 300kg out of your car, you will keep up with a sportivo. I'm sure it could be done, aluminium panels and alike.

whitestivo

It would be very hard to find 300kg to remove, it might be possible, but don't expect the car to be street legal :lol:

TRD SPORTIVO: Where are you located?

i cant see u pulling out 300kgs lol, even if u were to change every panel to carbon or fg use plexi for windows i cant see u getting close to shaving 300kgs off the car. on the subject ive replaced my alloy rim to a light space saver (saving of about 10kgs) and felt a bit of better accelaration though the rear end feels all over the place now very unstable

• 2 weeks later...

on the subject of putting a 2AZ-FE into a zre corolla the idea seems very feasible im willing to do the R&D once my new car warrenty expires in 2010. having said that i could just by a camry or aurion but wheres the fun in that ;P