LPG

Rob G.

I have a 05 Camry Altise 2.4lt. Thinking of converting to LPG but I have had so many varying opinions. Terrible/OK for engine, Economy not bad/no good, Don't bother/worth it. And with systems: JTG (Just Think Green) Good/no good, Taratini Great/horrible. These are only a small example of opinions from various sources. Can't all be correct. Very frustrated. Don't know whether to bother.

i have no evidence to back my claims up, but i think the general consenus is to stay away from LPG on camry's. they don't run particularly well at all when running on it.

Considerin what it costs to do on the conversion, the stories I've heard about problems with it, and the costs of maintaining this (as well as lack of bootspace), I'd say it's definetely not worth it... you'd probably find you'd lose money, especially when fuel's quite cheap at the moment :)

Iv'e actually heard otherwise :P

A few months ago I would have agreed, but recently Iv'e found 1 person running LPG on a Supercharged V6 with exceptional results and another running LPG NA with great results as well.

I guess it's who ya know when it comes to LPG and Camry's.

Maybe it depends on the type of LPG system that you install ... Ive seen an older Falcon and VP commodore installed with lpg systems that had an oil reservoir that allowed small amounts of lubricating oil to be fed into the engine to stop excessive wear.

The owners of both cars were very happy with what they had installed.

well i think for a camry its not worth it...however there is a new system called gas injection (SVI system) which is supposd to be very good, and eliminates backfire (something that the old LPG system had-and was the main reason why ppl stayed away from LPG)...the 2.4L camry was meant to be fuel effiecent and not as powerful...so if u do decide to go with a LPG system you will see a drop in power and thus you will be flooring it more and that means using more fuel...the best vehicles for LPG conversion is falcons or commodores, mainly becoz they have massive engines (so a lil power loss wont make much of a difference-still got plenty of grunt) and they really love the LPG fuel...so my advice is the camry is good on regular unleaded, keep it on that- you will regret the conversion (if u go thru with it)...hope tht helps

• 2 months later...
Well yeah but depends on the engine, apparently the V6 like the LPG if done right.

I'll have to dig for the thread so maybe the OP can ask the people who have done it for tips and tricks.

well....my 98 V6 camry has been running on converted lpg for the last 2 years....as suggested...if installed correctly...it is like a dream 2 drive...no signs of

power loss....just that u need to refuel more often...best mileage achieved on 1 full tank was 480kms....average tank is ard 360-380kms...cheers..

Edited by turbomond

Camry Conquest '99 V6 (sold) and my misus Camry CSI V6 both run on gas. Both standard conversion (non gas direct injection). Converted at EzyGas. Had it for over 2 years no problems. Run like a dream. Cost of servicing was $65 per service (every 10k). Depending on tank size it will take less than half of the boot space. I had 75l tank and I coyld put plenty shopping. Full size suitcase wont fit tho. A very minimal power loss (hardly noticable). on 70l of gas I got 400km city drive and 500km freway only drive. I'm thinking of converting Altise '04 but need to wait 8 more months to get goverment rebate. MCV36R is listed as LPG compatibile on Toyota website.

But when it comes to 2.4l I heard that it is not a good idea to do a conversion. Maybe it will be a good idea to talk to a few gas installers and see whet they say.

Edited by czaja74