Cigarette socket Tacho?

CME-LFT

Hi guys, i wanted to get a shift light for my sportivo but didnt want to touch the wiring behind the dash so i was looking at those pivot shift lights, the ones that plug into your cigarette socket. Ive searched the forum but the only posts that seem to pop up are those that where selling them.

Ebay item

My question is, do they work on the corolla sportivos and seeing as they work off voltage change fluctuations (i assume) will having the system (such as subs) cause problems with the tacho as it causes headlight dimming and such at the moment.

Thanks guys

If the only thing that said shift light plugs into is your cigarette lighter socket; please DON'T waste your money on it. That looks like a whole heap of rubbish.

not sure how its possible these could work without getting an RPM signal from either the Ignition, or the Crank Angle Sensor. Seems like the ciggie socket would be for power only??? not sure.

Generally it's said that they pick up on the high-frequency ripple that you'll get in the whole power supply because of the coil collapsing. Whether or not it actually works, or is reliable, I don't know.

Same kind of way that you get static/whining in the radio if you don't have a suppressor on your alternator (except with voltage ripple as opposed to EM ripple)

Gtech have been using the ciggie lighter socket for loong tiiime with great success.

I haven't chucked my Gtech in the Corolla yet, but it worked fine in my Mazda...

Gtechs aren't cheap junk either, and are very accurate gear. So if this eBay shiftlight reads the signals aswell as a Gtech, you won't have any troubles with it's accuracy.

Gav.

Thanks guys, if it was cheaper than the price on ebay i would buy it and give it a go, but i guess ill just pass for now and go buy a proper shift light. Any idea on the price a auto elect. would charge for an install?

what shift lights do you recommend for the stivo? i don't want anything big and bulky ive seen a page here.

shift light link

EDIT: but i do like the shift lights you guys bought in your group buy. ive seen them in the HPI mag.

I have 2 of the xede shift lights (6000 and 8200), I can email video of them if you like

yeh i wouldnt recommend a Shiftlight when the unit only rely's on power to get it working.

I have used 1 just supplying 12V and it only works when it feels like it. I have no idea how it works which is why it was crap.

I have Bought and used the Jaycar shiftlight and rev limiter kit. Its a bit more fiddly to build and i can only get it working on 1 RPM range, so whatever you set it to really.

It allows for 3 stages but i can only get 1 light to work and is around $35 AUD but requires assembly, which means you have to be good or aware of electronics, capacitors, resistors, diodes, LED's, Polarity.

Hi guys, i wanted to get a shift light for my sportivo but didnt want to touch the wiring behind the dash

As Jake once famously uttered to himself in the nunnery ..

"Well then, I guess you're really up **** creek" :P

Do it properly. Don't get a cigarette lighter one. Just sounds dodgy to begin with... and that's before you throw ebay into the equation.

Or better still, perfect you're gear changing ;)

:P Peace

Edited by JG24688

ive been using the pivot super shift lamp for over 2 yrs now. no problems what so ever. you can connect it to the taco itself or simply plug it in the cig socket. i went with the cig socket and it seems pretty accurate to me. plug it in, set it to the revs you want etc etc. it saves it in its little computer thing and your set. i mean over 2 yrs, no drama, works well... i guess it speaks for it self.

Fair enough, i guess ill give ebay a try, it is off a power seller anyway (not the link, but others selling them are) so i guess it cant be too bad, and like hat31t said i can eventualy hook it up to the tacho if need be.

Edited by CME-LFT

If you don't want to take your dash apart, you can go the easier route and splice into the ecu wires behind the glove box. I have my exede shift led mounted in one of the center air vents and it works very well.

Have you tried http://www.pivotracing.com/

Bought a pivot voltage stabiliser and PIVOT SUPER SHIFT LAMP M a while back. Delivery was within a week which was quick for a US site.

Installed the shift light inside the middle vent so you can't see it when it's not on. Works fine. Only problem with this type of shift light is that you have to rev up your engine to the rev that you want the shift light to turn on.

Have you tried http://www.pivotracing.com/

Bought a pivot voltage stabiliser and PIVOT SUPER SHIFT LAMP M a while back. Delivery was within a week which was quick for a US site.

Installed the shift light inside the middle vent so you can't see it when it's not on. Works fine. Only problem with this type of shift light is that you have to rev up your engine to the rev that you want the shift light to turn on.

They are actually shipped off Singapore. Bought from them myself.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They are actually shipped off Singapore. Bought from them myself.

I didn't know it was shipped from Singapore. No wonder the deliverly was so quick.

It was pretty cheap at the time cause of the high AUS dollar.

thanks for that. btw how did you get it in your air vent?

I actually cut the wire of the shiftlight and wired it up to the cigarette lighter so you can't see the wires.

All the wires are under the dash, and stuck the controller inside that compartment under the power mirror buttons -> that compartment you pull out. (Hope you know what I mean)

For the vent, face both vents down and just pull it out slowly, it's very easy, it just pops out.