installing an Amp and sub

shiok

Hi all

I'm new to this forum!

Couldn't find any info on this one.. So your help would be apprciated!

Just bought an '08 Altise, and I want to add an amp and sub to the current system.

Does the factory headunit have RCA outs? If not, how do I go about adding an amp?

Any help would be great.....

Cheers!

Hi all

I'm new to this forum!

Couldn't find any info on this one.. So your help would be apprciated!

Just bought an '08 Altise, and I want to add an amp and sub to the current system.

Does the factory headunit have RCA outs? If not, how do I go about adding an amp?

Any help would be great.....

Cheers!

Ohhh trust me before you do that go get a decent HU with RCA output to replace your stock headunit. Unless you want to redundant your left right balance and use telephone wires to hook it up. and your system will be balls deep in terms of sounding like absolute dog crap.

Hrmm alright .. Gotta think about a new HU I guess.

It would look a bit silly with a single din HU in there thoug...

Ohh how about the steering wheel volume controls etc?

Would that still work if I get an aftermarket headunit?

Thanks guys..

Thanks guys..

no the controls on the steering wheel wont work with any aftermarket HU

ul find putting a new HU in any toyota being a pain in the ****, the colours dont always represent what you think they would be. i suggest finding a wiring loom that will fit your toyota's socket (generally where all your wires from the HU go on a another socket) that will plug into the back of the type of HU you have selected.

To answer your question in a simple way, yes you can buy a CAN BUS to allow access to steering wheel controls but you'll need to purchase it on top of when you buy the HU.

As for the wiring, I did mine a few months back with a mate of mine. The new Toyota wiring loom was not available as the new cars have changed their colours. If the lack of availability is still the case, then I'd suggest you to get it professionally installed (only costs $80 or so) and saves you from screwing around. Took my mate and I over 3 hours to match each wire then splice and solder etc.

As for your stock HU, it was tuned to maximize the speakers that they gave you. If you alter your system (changing speakers or adding a sub etc) it will not recognise the alteration you've made...i.e. you can't tune it. It does not allow equalisation which means you can't make your soundwave as flat as possible meaning one frequency will stand out above the other significantly. In your case, adding a sub will mean massive bass and no melody (treb or mid). Coming from a classical piano background, I'm sure you'd understand why I'm insistent on correct sounding systems.

i used to have a stock unit with a sub and amp! i bought a convertor for it (look for it at your jb will cost about $50) and it outputs 2 rca plugs. was crap, cant change sub level vol etc, best to get a new unit but only downfall is you cant use your steering wheels control. Where abouts are you located if in melb give me a pm, i can hook you up.

Yeah I'd get a nice head unit for the extra controls. But it doesnt have to be the top of the range stuff. You can get middle of the range stuff and it'll still be good enough. Headunit is actually not a hugely important part of the system. Just make sure you spend the right proportion to each aspect of the system - speakers being most important.

And with a h/u upgrade, your factory speakers will actually sound better as they will have more power to play with.

Yeah I'd get a nice head unit for the extra controls. But it doesnt have to be the top of the range stuff. You can get middle of the range stuff and it'll still be good enough. Headunit is actually not a hugely important part of the system. Just make sure you spend the right proportion to each aspect of the system - speakers being most important.

And with a h/u upgrade, your factory speakers will actually sound better as they will have more power to play with.

yea they stock speakers will sound beta, to an extent

only because the stock HU can supply so much power and the stock speakers have a maximum Watt ratting of round 40 ish, well thats what my stock speakers were ratted at, useless really.

Thanks guys..

There is one aftermarket headunit you can buy which allows you too still use your control buttons, AVC for camry & aurion probably most of the guys in the aurion section have this.

If your not looking at wanting to buy another headunit you can always get what akuma said, a LOC (Line Out Convertor) which can produce RCA's.

I'm running my stock headunit through a LOC to an amp for my speakers & sub and it sounds REALLY good and I can still use all my buttons! (=

The LOC which I have also has a subwoofer level control as well you just need to buy the remote separately.

Here is a link of the LOC which I'm using in my car at the moment Audio Control LC6i.

Edited by Jerms

yea they stock speakers will sound beta, to an extent

only because the stock HU can supply so much power and the stock speakers have a maximum Watt ratting of round 40 ish, well thats what my stock speakers were ratted at, useless really.

If you tune it right, they'll run fine with heaps of power. I've had my stock speakers ran at 80w rms each even though the speakers were only 25w rated. They were fine and everyone didnt think that the stock speakers were still there.

thanks for the input guys..

i am now really interested in the AVC-6901 which has been discussed here

Seems like the most budget way to get what I want without much fiddling around.(steering wheel controls) And it has RCA outs.

If i did get a single din headunit, I would have to have a custom face built for it yes?

Just weighing up my options before i spend my hard earned $$$ ! =)

cheers

If you have a bit of a look at what some of the Aurion guys have it will give you a better idea.(Aurion and Camry have the same set up) Do you want sat nav? If so there quite a few guys who have put in the Auspack unit which seems reasonably priced. If you’re after just a good HU also have a search in the Aurion section as there are some guys there that have done that too.

Take a look at some of these threads

Toyota Aurion Double Din???

How do you remove factory audio unit?

DVD player with 7" Screen Installed.

Hope this helps.

I installed a Line Converter in my ex's Sportivo to run sub and speaker amps, tuned all speakers thru the converter and then the amps and the sound was 10 times better than the stock unit...

Still using the standard speakers, got them a lot louder and without any distortion at all...

Converter cost me $50 (retail $100) and that was it...

thanks for the input guys..

i am now really interested in the AVC-6901 which has been discussed here

Seems like the most budget way to get what I want without much fiddling around.(steering wheel controls) And it has RCA outs.

If i did get a single din headunit, I would have to have a custom face built for it yes?

Just weighing up my options before i spend my hard earned $$$ ! =)

cheers

I think Stinger Australia have a facial kit for single din as well as a double din so ask your local car audio store or JBHIFI and they should be able to tell you.

Head unit in a camry usually if i'm pi$$ing around maybe 10 mins LOL but unfortunately for you you need a facia for your integrated head unit so perhaps upgrading your speakers and adding a woofer might be the best option but please use a good quality line converter eg: LC6 by Audio Control gives you front, rear and sub outputs.

Edited by MAD550

Im actually leaning towards the AVC 6901 now, so I won't need a line coverter as it has RCA outs.

Just a bit hesitant to part with the $$ hehehe ;)

I've got a 306c which Im looking to build a custom box to put in the boot.....

Im actually leaning towards the AVC 6901 now, so I won't need a line coverter as it has RCA outs.

Just a bit hesitant to part with the $$ hehehe ;)

I've got a 306c which Im looking to build a custom box to put in the boot.....

Ok so where are you getting the a facia from?? 08 Altise has an integrated consol.

I thought the AVC 6901 would be a perfect fit if im not mistaken.? as in, remove factory unit, put AVC in....

can anyone pls confirm?

It should be a perfect fit, you don't need any facial kit for it, it should just slide straight in after you remove your original factory headunit.

If you look at your stereo you'll notice it is'nt a double din size like the gen 5 or previous. But I'm just a dumb car audio installer what would I know LOL

Edited by MAD550