Electric Window

Dazza6901

Hi All,

I have a 04 V6 Camry Sportivo, and the front drivers window works sometimes then sometimes it does not. It seems to get stuck, but not sure, if I try pulling the window down while pressing the button it will not budge. Then you can lock the car up and come back in a few hours and it will work as if nothing was ever wrong with it.

Could it be getting stuck?

Could the motor be worn out? (70K on the clock)

Any Ideas?

Cheers Dazz

If the motor is working fine it could be the glue that holds the glass is coming loose. I used to have that problem in my old car and one day it just gave way and the window got stuck since the motor moving up and down couldnt move the glass

When the window won't budge, can you ear the window motor trying to work, or there is no noise at all?

When I press the button, I hear a small click, just one for each press, either up or down. Not that the window has ever been stuck in the down position, that would pose a huge problem. The noise is like the sound of a relay clicking on or off.

It will be the control console in your armrest, I have had the same problem with my 2001 Camry. My passenger side window was intermittent from the drivers side but OK with the passenger side switch unit which at least proved the window etc. was OK. Left with two choices. Toyota said they are not serviceable but I could have a new unit for $400, WhaaaTT?. Other choice, fix it myself and it can be done if you're handy with tools.

Remove the unit from the console by levering it out, carefully and unplug it. It is all held together with screws undo the screws then carefully seperate the two halves as the parts inside can jump out and get lost. If you get this far, make careful note of how it is assembled.

You will see that most of the contacts are very black and dirty. They will require cleaning with small file(points file) and very fine wet and dry paper.

When all the parts are clean, reassemble the unit and replace in the console..

If you don't think you can do it then you will be left with no choice but to buy a new unit. Don't try fitting a secondhand one asit most probably have the same problem as your existing unit..

It can be done but the final choice is yours...

It will be the control console in your armrest, I have had the same problem with my 2001 Camry. My passenger side window was intermittent from the drivers side but OK with the passenger side switch unit which at least proved the window etc. was OK. Left with two choices. Toyota said they are not serviceable but I could have a new unit for $400, WhaaaTT?. Other choice, fix it myself and it can be done if you're handy with tools.

Remove the unit from the console by levering it out, carefully and unplug it. It is all held together with screws undo the screws then carefully seperate the two halves as the parts inside can jump out and get lost. If you get this far, make careful note of how it is assembled.

You will see that most of the contacts are very black and dirty. They will require cleaning with small file(points file) and very fine wet and dry paper.

When all the parts are clean, reassemble the unit and replace in the console..

If you don't think you can do it then you will be left with no choice but to buy a new unit. Don't try fitting a secondhand one asit most probably have the same problem as your existing unit..

It can be done but the final choice is yours...

Thanks Topdog,

I will try that, and let you know what the outcome is. Might even take some pictures, in case it is needed to help someone else.

Dazz

OK, but be careful when pulling it apart, there are lots of little springs which have a life of the own..Best done on a sheet or similar..

OK, but be careful when pulling it apart, there are lots of little springs which have a life of the own..Best done on a sheet or similar..

Thanks,

I might leave it for the weekend, when I can dedicate some extra time for it.

Just another little thing, use a pocket size screwdriver or similar with some tape around(to prevent scratching) to lever the switch unit out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to find some time to dedicate to this.

I have pulled the switch out, and dismantled it so far, however i am not sure where to go from here. And I can not see and where there is dirty or blackened contacts.

I am starting to think this is not where the problem lies.

post-2383-1233976564_thumb.jpg

post-2383-1233976679_thumb.jpg

post-2383-1233976763_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look anything like mine.. Looks like the hardware has changed.. Was the unit taken from the driver's side door armrest??

Yes, mine is a late 2004 V6 Sportivo. It is the one with clear tail lights. I have heard some call it Gen 5.5, or even a face lift 2004.

The window is now not working at all, well it stopped working during the week. I took the control panel out and could not see where it could be dirty, it looks like brand new. I gave it a spray with contact cleaner and put it back together. still no go. I suspect it must be the motor, as I can hear the relay clicking when I press the button to the non-auto position.

Edited by Dazza6901

Easiest way to check is to test for power and earth at the window plug that connects to the motor...

If you have power and earth when the switch is pressed for the up and down motions then the motor is stuffed and will require replacing...

If you don't have power, earth or both then you have a switch or wiring problem and will have to go from there...