Varex actually any good?

ApBPaul

hey guys, i just visited a exhaust dealership, enquiring about the varex for my toyota aurion. And they reckon that its a pointless gimic as wen its closed off you lose almost half of your power

just wondering wat u guys think?

The guys with varex alrdy on, is their much power n noise gained wen it is fully opened?

What would be another good exhaust system for power n grunt in the aurion?

The canon Varex mufflers have a pretty small channel for the exhaust bypass when the valve is closed. I would imagine that for them, having the valves closed would introduce a bit of extra resistance over the stock exhaust. I'm not too sure about the oval style Varex though, but I've seen a VE SSV with a twin oval Varex setup and there seemed to be no issues there when closed.

Having it open pipe after the resonator (which is what the Varex would essentially do) does not give any real performance gains with the Aurion. To get any possible gains, you will need to look into getting some custom design work done where a full system will be installed. As there is no full system currently designed for the Aurion, you definitely need to look into custom work. Changing the rear mufflers is just going to change the noise level, and maybe lose some low end torque.

hey guys, i just visited a exhaust dealership, enquiring about the varex for my toyota aurion. And they reckon that its a pointless gimic as wen its closed off you lose almost half of your power

I doubt HALF. Some small losses, yes quite likely, but its only re-routing the exhaust gas, not blocking. Then again if you have it on fully closed your not going to miss a little power because your driving 'sedately', more likely to want power AND exhaust noise when fully open.

...is their much power n noise gained wen it is fully opened?

Search 'Varex+aurion' on here & on Youtube...few videos up.

What would be another good exhaust system for power n grunt in the aurion?

No definite solution yet, but I imagine a high-flow cat, straight through mufflers would be a good start. More money means endless possibilities.

yeah i turn mine off and on atleast once a day, generally its pulling into my driveway i make it quiet for neighbours etc.........then back open when i exit drive.....tomorrow is a perfect example...........2 hour each way trip with my boss to see a client.....varex will definently be off.............and noise level will become less than stock stivo

have a flick through my members ride page and blind kid seeks ride page....there is various discussion in their around the varex and also what we have investigated in relation to where sportivo exhaust is constricted as an example of power etc

Well I use the term 'no real performance gain', in that if there was a gain of a couple of kW, you're not going to notice it when you drive it. It isn't going to give you any better 0-100 times if that's what you're after.

im trying to find this table which shows different exhaust silencers and how much power they lost on the dyno... does anyone remember seeing this table somewhere?

if i can find it, i'll post it up... its quite interesting to see.... :)

As there is no full system currently designed for the Aurion, you definitely need to look into custom work. Changing the rear mufflers is just going to change the noise level, and maybe lose some low end torque.

are you saying there is no full exhaust system for the varex or any exhaust system for the aurion? >.<

a bloke had one of these the other night on his N14 SSS and to be honest whilst it may be good for what it is when it was closed it sounded **** horrible and when it was open it was like a cat being thrown into a silo - im sure you could make one sound good as it was probobaly installed on the cheap and the rest of the system fairly average but still , if you want performance you will have no need for LOUD , if you want loud get it i don't really see the point in spending the money on it

a bloke had one of these the other night on his N14 SSS and to be honest whilst it may be good for what it is when it was closed it sounded **** horrible and when it was open it was like a cat being thrown into a silo - im sure you could make one sound good as it was probobaly installed on the cheap and the rest of the system fairly average but still , if you want performance you will have no need for LOUD , if you want loud get it i don't really see the point in spending the money on it

Varex on my 2zz sounds great on open and closed... as a bolt on to the stock system it sounds great too.

scuse the wind noise.. but heres how the Varex sounds on my Stivo

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">