just sore on the news

does any 1 know more about it all ive seen is toyota recalling 1.3million vehicle world wide for exhaust n seat belts does any one know what vehicles are effected

Here is what i came across regarding the recall

Toyota Motor Corp is recalling more than 1.35 million vehicles worldwide due to faulty seatbelts and exhaust pipe defects. Toyota said on Wednesday it is recalling 830,000 Yaris cars in overseas markets including US, Europe, Canada and Australia. Toyota Yaris recall

Updated: 09:54, Thursday January 29, 2009

sky news

Toyota says it's recalling more than more than a million cars worldwide because of seatbelt and exhaust defects.

The world's biggest car maker is recalling 525,000 Vitz, Belta and Ractis vehicles in Japan made between January 2005 and April 2008.

Vitz and Belta are sold in Australia and New Zealand as the Yaris Hatchback and Sedan.

and also

About 830,000 Vitz and Belta vehicles sold in North America, Europe and other markets are also being recalled.The reason for this Toyota Yaris recall is that the pretensioner deployment may affect the sound insulating foam in the center pillar, following a collision.

The reason for this Toyota Yaris recall is that the pretensioner deployment may affect the sound insulating foam in the center pillar, following a collision.

That's it?!?!?! They are recalling because, in the event of a crash, you aren't going to have as good sound insulation?!?!

Reporters jump all over this like its some big failing of Toyotas. The big failing is in NOT doing the recall. Mazda have destroyed engines in hundreds of cars by not recalling them over VICS screws coming loose. Many years ago Holden had a problem with oil coolers not being on properly and spraying oil around and starting fires or destroying engines...

Gav.

Figure I should let you all know whats going on as I work in the technical side of a Toyota dealership. I have read the bulletin and carried out one of these recalls.

The exhaust problem has nothing to do with any Australian delivered Yaris's. It is a fault with the EGR (exhaust gas re-circulation) system which is not fitted to any of our models so theres no need to worry about that.

The seatbelt problem doesn't actually have anything to do with the seatbelt, kinda. There is a piece of foam jammed underneath the seatbelt pre-tensioner which has to be removed as it poses a safety threat. Supposedly in the event of an accident, when the pre-tensioner is fired to lock the seat belt in place, there is possibilty that this will cause the foam to catch on fire. Toyota pay for 0.8 of an hour for us to do it but it really only takes about 10 mins plus paper work. So its really not a major problem. There are approximately 43,000 vehicles affected in Australia.

There are tons of recalls on Toyotas going around most of which are very minor. Its just that this time the media got hold of it and it spread like wildfire.

~Josh

Takes you 10 mins??? Seen one getting done today to a 3 door Yaris, rear seat out and both inner quarter trims removed to remove the foam, little longer than 10 mins for that one...

ive now done 3 recall on yaris 10 mins on both 3& 5 door found that rear seats dont have to be removed if you undo seat belt anchor point you can pull trim out enough to get to the foam

this recall was sent out as the foam in worst case scenario can cause a fire wen pre tensioner goes off (pretensioner is explosive device to rapidly tighten seat belt in event of accident)

Yea as Robie said, the seats don't actually need to be removed so about 10mins is all it takes. As with most of the recalls on Toyotas, you do it by the book the 1st time and work out the fastest way to do it the next. Just like those damn Hilux bonnet recalls. The 1st one took me like 2.5 hours but got it down to about an hour for next few. Thankfully my foreman decided they were a good job for the apprentices and I didn't have to do too many.

• 2 weeks later...

got them down to 6 mins thats from start to finish car in work shop recall done story writen car back to customer

as for the hilux recall never done 1 never want to

saydo you guys remember the steering relay rod recall the earlier model hilux/4runner had man i can remember doin like 5 of them a day for months

got them down to 6 mins thats from start to finish car in work shop recall done story writen car back to customer

6 mins for the Prado axle recall or the Yaris?

saydo you guys remember the steering relay rod recall the earlier model hilux/4runner had man i can remember doin like 5 of them a day for months

Ha Ha yea I do. Only took Toyota like 10 years to decide to recall them. And by then, most of them were seized on and the ball joints rooted.

If they recall another dimmer switch i'll freakin scream. As if the Rav, Echo, Corolla and Camry aren't enough.....

Hahahahaha, I've got the Yaris recalls down to 6 mins with the same process too... Only started doing them last week...

Only thing I hated with the Camry Dimmer Switch was resetting the radios so now I just plug in the new loom without unplugging anything lol...