Twin Turbo Camry

MAD550

Hello all I have a gen 3 camry wagon what I need to know is how much boost can a stock 5S bottom end handle.

So far I have a TRD ecu with a yamaha head and a new intake manifold fresh back from Toyota with enlarged ports and a few other extra mods. I have a set of CT20A twin turbos to go on after a bit of custom fabrication but not sure how much boost its going to take.

Edited by MAD550

I will be suprised if it could handle one? If you want twin, you'd be wanting to run not too much boost. I'm told the compression is quite high already so yeah.

I know a friend of mine in Townsville who has successfully turboed his 5SFE, but had to redo the heads because he blew them whilst dyno tuning I believe? The turbo was maybe slightly bigger than a CT20 though.

You've got the engine set for a turbo though - it's gonna be fun to custom make EVERYTHING!! Search for "Campbell" on here in TOCAU or see if you can drop him a PM on Auscam or thereabouts. We love playing around with these engines.

Quite honestly though - We'd normally just swap in a 3SGTE and go from there :P But a twin turbo 5SFE would be awesome..

Hello all I have a gen 3 camry wagon what I need to know is how much boost can a stock 5S bottom end handle.

So far I have a TRD ecu with a yamaha head and a new intake manifold fresh back from Toyota with enlarged ports and a few other extra mods. I have a set of CT20A twin turbos to go on after a bit of custom fabrication but not sure how much boost its going to take.

that alone sounds sweet 5sge 1 of a kind

im sure it will handle boost ok just dont try and make it rev

2.4l with a turbo should make good power at lower rpm anyway

if you tune it and have a rev limit setup for no more then 6000rpm and 10psi boost you should be ok i reacon

as long as you have rebuilt the bottom end

and if you do some mods to the bottom end like rods, pistons, mains & bigend bolts etc i think 1.5 bar (20+psi) should be achievable but i still wouldnt rev it over 6000rpm

if you tune it and have a rev limit setup for no more then 6000rpm and 10psi boost you should be ok i reacon

and if you do some mods to the bottom end like rods, pistons, mains & bigend bolts etc i think 1.5 bar (20+psi) should be achievable but i still wouldnt rev it over 6000rpm

Out of curiousity, you're not joking right. From what I have read, a turbo'ed stock 5sfe should pull only slightly more than what a stock v6 does if you want reliability. Hence why a lot of people in the states recommend dropping a v6 in it and then working on from there.

Out of curiousity, you're not joking right. From what I have read, a turbo'ed stock 5sfe should pull only slightly more than what a stock v6 does if you want reliability. Hence why a lot of people in the states recommend dropping a v6 in it and then working on from there.

well if his already done alot of work to the head im sure it can make as much power as a worked n/a v6 ok its only as much power but 4cylinders are a hell of alot easier to work on and to me servicablity=reliability as your gonna be more inclined to change the oil change the filters change the spark plugs etc etc so yeah why not turbo a 4 appossed to workin a 6 or you could always do wat trent suggested V8 rwd

Edited by robie

But a stock 5sfe makes 94kw at the engine. A 3vzfe puts out 136kw. A 1mzfe makes 141kw at the engine. 40-50kw extra with just heads is going to be hard!

Unfortunately most guys that have done the turbo'ed the camry 4 banger actually swapped to the 3s heads. Here is some info for you if the op is actually serious about a turbo upgrade.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182016

Shows exactly who is running what.

The 1 UZ option was put off as the car wasn't going to pass the torsion tests, yes serious with the turbos as I already have them just found someone today to get manifolds fabricated and downpipes, have to move the fans to the front of the radiator including rerouting hoses should be picking up intercooler tomorrow.

Edited by MAD550

The 1 UZ option was put off as the car wasn't going to pass the torsion tests, yes serious with the turbos as I already have them just found someone today to get manifolds fabricated and downpipes, have to move the fans to the front of the radiator including rerouting hoses should be picking up intercooler tomorrow.

id really like to the figures on this combo when its all done

it may not make quite as much power as a 3sgte but when it makes the power n how much torque it makes should be impressive

Just wondering if u've done any engine work already? Because 203Hp@6300rpms(as in your sig) is defintely not stock lol. And you certainly would need to lower compression if ur gunna throw 2 snails on there.

Just wondering if u've done any engine work already? Because 203Hp@6300rpms(as in your sig) is defintely not stock lol. And you certainly would need to lower compression if ur gunna throw 2 snails on there.

lower comp with forced induction is a myth these days if you wanna run alot of boost ok yes you have to lower comp but if your only goin for a modest amount of boost with the right fuel and tune i think 10:1 static comp 98 oct fuel 15psi boost as long as you use moden tecknologise on internals ignition system and fuel systems you can make better power that way

rather then going 8:1 comp 98 oct fuel u'd have to use more boost to make the same power that and you make the turbo laggier when you lower comp

I can't understand why everyone keeps mentioning 5SFE, by the sounds of it this is going to be a 5SGE

So far I have a TRD ecu with a yamaha head and a new intake manifold...

Yamaha Toyota head = GE.

As Shannon(Whip Cracker) mentioned earlier, Campbell from Townsville, had to lower compression, as he ran into issues at 7psi, im not exactly certain what those issues were...and the engine will be a 5s-gte wouldnt it?

As Shannon(Whip Cracker) mentioned earlier, Campbell from Townsville, had to lower compression, as he ran into issues at 7psi, im not exactly certain what those issues were...and the engine will be a 5s-gte wouldnt it?

those issues could have been fuel related and if there was no fuel system upgrades done well that'll do it or ignition related like i said if you have the technologise you can run a decent amount of boost with the normal compression ratio's

As I mentioned earlier the inlet has already been worked including a 80mm throttle butterfly. My biggest problem at the moment is the cooling system is forcing coolant out whenever I exceed 4500 rpm still trying to get that sorted out.

Edited by MAD550

Well, at least we know it'll be different!

These engines weren't built for boost... but I guess it's all in the fun on custom modifying everything for it to do so.

Honestly, try and get ahold of Campbell - he's quite cluey on this kinda stuff... he'll at least be able to advise on where to route hoses... moreso show what he did anyway.