sportivo tyre size - 205/50/15 or 195/50/15

doriae86

guys, ive entered my car into a racing series. basically its a street series where everyone runs the same brand of street tyres (no racing compound or r comps allowed)

i have a set of light weight 15 inch wheels that im planning on using

wheels details are 15 x 6.5inch with +40 offset.

anyone have any experiance with what tyre size will work best on the 6.5 inch wheel - at this stage tossing up between 195/50/15 and 205/50/15

hopefully i dont get too mauled by the honda guys!

Edited by doriae86

i'd suggest 205/50/15 ..... are they ur only 2 options on width & profile ?

the 205's r obviously wider and will get u closer to matching ur speedo reading ...... becuz these will b under sized u will be reading about 6km/h faster .... i.e. when the speedo says 100 ur only gonna b doing 94 ..... remember that when ur trying to work out cornering speeds etc

racing series, i get scared that some mofo is going to run into me on saturday afternoon sprints.

bad enough some idiot civic does a 180 in front of me at turn 1 at 125kmh.

if your wondering, yes, i chose the dirt, i wasn't going to take the risk.

you should get some good brake pads asap, brilliant difference, highly recommend ferrods ds2500's

whitestivo

xoom, can have any tyre in 15 inch but, i know 50 series tyres are generally a nice handling tyre in terms of sidewall flex. Add that to the possibility of lowering the rolling diameter of the wheels, and as a result lowering the overall gearing a touch

and it seemed like a pretty good recipe

the car generally does track days on 195/55/15 r comps. Its an easy choice to go for the same size in a street tyre but i think the sidewalls on traditional tyres are a bit soggy compared with r comps :)

bad-dreama - my prediction is i will do pretty average, but happy to keep you posted regardless!

racing series, i get scared that some mofo is going to run into me on saturday afternoon sprints.

you should get some good brake pads asap, brilliant difference, highly recommend ferrods ds2500's

whitestivo

hey stivo, its a sprint type format, racing against the clock - not car v car so its not that exciting.

Basically its a championship thats run over 12 months, one event a month and a minimum participation in 6 of the events over the year to be elligable to be consdered for the placings at the end.

great opportunity to get out there and have some fun, improve my driving and thrash the car.

ps - got trd brake pads, will flush the brake fluid with somehting high temp before each track day.

• 1 month later...

whitestivo

hey stivo, its a sprint type format, racing against the clock - not car v car so its not that exciting.

Basically its a championship thats run over 12 months, one event a month and a minimum participation in 6 of the events over the year to be elligable to be consdered for the placings at the end.

great opportunity to get out there and have some fun, improve my driving and thrash the car.

ps - got trd brake pads, will flush the brake fluid with somehting high temp before each track day.

Ive been pretty happy with the Neo products for my car. i use the brake fluid and have done 2 track days at wakefield and still on the same fluid. i use ferodo DS2500 pads with DBA4000 rotors............the brake fluid i use is Neo Platinum. from my experience you wont need to do a full brake flush after every track day if you are using good fluid.