GT HID Kit

Hey guys,

My left low-beam has stopped working! it's a GT HID kit. Around 4 years old now. I'm unsure as to whether the bulb itself has burnt out or whether its a problem with the ballast or the wiring. I had a look at the bulb itself - can't really tell if there's any disconnections with the filament.

The autoparts store says that a replacement bulb costs around 180 bucks. Mu Secret are selling it for 160.

Obviously don't wanna fork out that much money if it's just a wiring issue. I'm yet to try the bulb with the other ballast to see if it actually is a burnt bulb.

Do you guys have any experience with these GT HID kits? whats the expected lifespan of the bulbs? how do you remove the bulb itself for replacement?

any advice would be great guys.

Thanks

try swapping ur bulbs n ur ballast around n stuff..that way u can work out if its the bulb or the ballast thats dead..or whatever the prob is

Yeah I might give that a go tonight. Problem is - I'm not sure where to disconnect the bulb from? I had a look at it on the weekend and the bulb's connected to a metal cylinder. Can the bulb be removed from the cylinder? or am I suppose to connect the wiring from the ballast itself?

Is the bulb type for the stivo '05 low beam H7? they're $120 a pair from Musecret.

try swapping ur bulbs n ur ballast around n stuff..that way u can work out if its the bulb or the ballast thats dead..or whatever the prob is

Yeah I might give that a go tonight. Problem is - I'm not sure where to disconnect the bulb from? I had a look at it on the weekend and the bulb's connected to a metal cylinder. Can the bulb be removed from the cylinder? or am I suppose to connect the wiring from the ballast itself?

Is the bulb type for the stivo '05 low beam H7? they're $120 a pair from Musecret.

your low beam is a h7..

u dont have to get bulbs that r that exp do u :P

is the metal cylinder the balast? :P yes ure supposed to disconnect the whole thing..the bulb doesnt come off the wiring..when u change it..u change the whole wiring :)

It can sometimes be hard to tell whether a HID lamp is blown or not. They aren't like traditional bulbs where you can see a filament in them. In a HID lamp, there are just two electrodes on either side of the gas envelope on the inside and nothing joining the two. Usually the signs of a lamp that is nearing or at the end of its life is excess carbon deposits at one of the electrodes. This will be visible on the glass as it is black. Don't confuse it for the salt deposits which on cheaper HID kits (including this one) will look a white or greyish colour (can be blood red in colour on some of the really high end HID lamps).

But yeah, following the advise from J e r e M y will help rule out one or the other.