Wiper Blades

Kesawi

With the rain in Brisbane today I've used the wipers on my Kluger for the first time and noticed that they are annoyingly noisy and streak quite badly. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy way to fix it without buying new blades?

With the rain in Brisbane today I've used the wipers on my Kluger for the first time and noticed that they are annoyingly noisy and streak quite badly. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy way to fix it without buying new blades?

Lift the wipers up and wipe them down, and also the window just above them.

I have found that when they are not used for a while, small leaves or peices of dirt can collect under them.

Have done all of the above, even changed the blades. Noticed today that the ends of the blades are lifting up off the glass and that the wiper arms do not seem to be holding them down properly.

• 2 weeks later...
RainX should have won some sort invention award IMHO. They work like dream. I have some mixed with my washer bottle.

I've bought the cleaner/treatment combo. Can't say that the water runs off like the photo shows on the back of the bottle. It has resulted in less streaking in noise, however as the ends of the biggest blade is lifting off it's still streaking unfortunately. Also have the interior anti-fog stuff which works well too. Used a single pad to clean all of the interior windows. I see RainX also have replacement wiper arms, are these available in Australia?

Edited by Kesawi

RainX should have won some sort invention award IMHO. They work like dream. I have some mixed with my washer bottle.

I've bought the cleaner/treatment combo. Can't say that the water runs off like the photo shows on the back of the bottle. It has resulted in less streaking in noise, however as the ends of the biggest blade is lifting off it's still streaking unfortunately. Also have the interior anti-fog stuff which works well too. Used a single pad to clean all of the interior windows. I see RainX also have replacement wiper arms, are these available in Australia?

Rainx works like a dream, Have used it on our older car which has vacum wipers which are so slow (and small) they may as well not be there. No problem here with the wipers on the Kluger, worked great though the memory may be fading, no rain here in over 2 months so been a while since I saw them in action.

I know this may sound like bull but the best wipers ive ever bought are those $10 coloured silicon ones from supercheap, theve been on for nearly 2 years now, streak free and quiet as a mouse.

Im suprised as to how well and long they've lasted seeing as there like $20-$30 cheaper than toyota blades.

I know this may sound like bull but the best wipers ive ever bought are those $10 coloured silicon ones from supercheap, theve been on for nearly 2 years now, streak free and quiet as a mouse.

Im suprised as to how well and long they've lasted seeing as there like $20-$30 cheaper than toyota blades.

I've replaced the blades with some cheap $10 ones which are doing a great job, however the wiper arm doesn't seem to be holding the ends of the blades down onto the glass properly. Will try and get the arms replaced under warranty at my next service.

What do you mean by not holding the ends of the blades down properly?

Did you cut the blade too long or maybe the u-clip bit at the end of each arm is a bit loose, try sqeezing it together ever so slightly. I noticed thats its best if the metal clip part on the end of the wiper blade sits at the top of the wiper arm.

Any photos at all?

What do you mean by not holding the ends of the blades down properly?

Did you cut the blade too long or maybe the u-clip bit at the end of each arm is a bit loose, try sqeezing it together ever so slightly. I noticed thats its best if the metal clip part on the end of the wiper blade sits at the top of the wiper arm.

Any photos at all?

See photos below showing the ends of the wiper blades.

post-11798-1235617573_thumb.jpg post-11798-1235617590_thumb.jpg

The blade tips are sitting above the glass by ~3mm with the gap tapering down to zero over ~50mm.

The steel clip on the replacement blade also doesn't hold it secure in the wiper arm, and the blade often comes loose.

I cut the blade to match the length of the original blade. This would explain why one end sits high but not the other.

I have the streaks at the location were the blade loses contact with the glass near the tips.

Definitely something amiss there - Mine are quite curved in comparison and are quite springy at the ends to hug the profile of the glass nicely. Is the blade is threaded through every set of guides properly along the length of the arm (especially in the middle)? With the arm off the screen, when I press on my blade in the middle it causes the ends to curve inwards.

Hope you get it sorted before it rains again!!

Reduced - click to enlarge

th_IMGP2932Large.jpg

Edited by holmesie

Definitely something amiss there - Mine are quite curved in comparison and are quite springy at the ends to hug the profile of the glass nicely. Is the blade is threaded through every set of guides properly along the length of the arm (especially in the middle)? With the arm off the screen, when I press on my blade in the middle it causes the ends to curve inwards.

I'll check it again in the morning but am pretty sure they run through all of the guides as the original blade was the same before I replaced it.

Can I go through any Toyota dealer for a warranty claim as I'll be getting my vehicle serviced through a different Toyota dealer from the on I purchased the vehicle through as it is more convenient for me?

Just checked, blade runs through all the guides correctly. When I push up in the middle of the blade the tips do come down. Something still isn't right so will get them replaced. Thanks all for your help :clap:

• 1 year later...

Has anyone found aftermarket wiper blades that fit correctly. Seems some are too stiff and won't allow the arm to curve properly, and other just don't fit at all where the blade locks in at the end.

I don't want to pay high $$ for genuine Toyota ones :huh:

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Just checked, blade runs through all the guides correctly. When I push up in the middle of the blade the tips do come down. Something still isn't right so will get them replaced. Thanks all for your help :clap:

Kesawi

The wipers on the Kluger are a new style - plastic top spoiler blades - also called - Japanese Hybrid Blades. :blink:

They have curved rails to keep even pressure on the windscreen.

Trico have this new variety for the Kluger as an aftermaket replacement.

Trico site See under Products/Wiper Refills.

All the replacement blades have the same part number TRJ710-20, but the Gen2 Kluger is listed. :clap:

Kind regards

Hado

Edited by Hado