Timing Belt Replace

Rasika Prasad

hi,

When I was buying my Celica SX 1999 it was driven around 126 km's . Now it is around 128 kms's

I have got it from Toyota Dealer in VIC with 60,000 km's extend warranty .

As far as I know that timing belt need to replace after certain kilometers . I have not got detail log book with my Celica.

Do not know weather it was replaced or not .

How do I find weahter timing belt has replaced or not ? One of my friend said some cars there is timing chin or something but that not need to replace like timing belt

Please advice me . I am really new to Cars and for my Celica :unsure:

Edited by Rasika Prasad

If it's a ST204 it'll have a 5SFE, which has a timing belt not a chain, and thus needs to be replaced every 100,000km or so. Usually when they are changed there is a sticker placed on the cam cover or timing cover to show when the next change is due, if this is missing then chances are it hasn't been done.

Could probably pop the timing cover off and see how much the tensioner has moved (usually they auto-adjust as the belt ages and stretches).

If it's a ST204 it'll have a 5SFE, which has a timing belt not a chain, and thus needs to be replaced every 100,000km or so. Usually when they are changed there is a sticker placed on the cam cover or timing cover to show when the next change is due, if this is missing then chances are it hasn't been done.

Could probably pop the timing cover off and see how much the tensioner has moved (usually they auto-adjust as the belt ages and stretches).

I am sorry mate I do not clear what do you mean by ST204

As far as I know in Ausi we have two versions right SX and ZR

I will look is there any sticker on place on the cam or Timing cover. But I first need to see where is the cam and timing cover is :unsure:

I am sorry mate I do not clear what do you mean by ST204

As far as I know in Ausi we have two versions right SX and ZR

I will look is there any sticker on place on the cam or Timing cover. But I first need to see where is the cam and timing cover is :unsure:

ST204 is the model series - S means it has an S-series engine (5SFE for an Australian model), T means it has the T-series chassis, 20 means it's the 20-generation of that model, and the 4 means it's the 4th model in that generation.

SX and ZR are just spec codes.

The cam cover is the metal cover which sits on top of your engine, and covers the cams (no surprises there). In this photo (sorry for the size, it was the best one I could find) the cam cover has 16valve written on it

intake7ub.jpg

The timing cover is the plastic cover which goes over the end of the engine (accesory belt end, not flywheel end) and covers the cam gears and the timing belt. On the above picture, it's the black plastic cover at the left end of the cam cover, underneath the bright blue hose. Next to it is another black plastic piece which covers up the wiring loom for the alternator/air conditioner compressor etc, the sticker may be there as well

All this goes out the window though if you have a ZZT231, which I believe was on sale towards the end of 1999. Does your car look like this:

TOYO0083.jpg

or this?:

TOYO0082.jpg

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

your wrong about 2 things here

1. 5sfe t-belt replacement 150000km

2. not auto ajusting only v6's v8's and newer deisels in toyota have auto adjusting tensioners

(you can readjust belt but you have to losen bolt)

the spring on the tensioner is only there to keep tension on bolt so you can check its right before you set it and reassemble

if your still unsure when you need to change your timing belt, i say just wait! IF you hear clicking/ticking noise comming from the engine then its most probably your timing belt, dont fret if your timing belt breaks before you can swap it over for a new one...as for the 5SFE engine has a non interference system so if it does give way nothings gonna break!

btw congratz on the purchase! how much did it set u back?

your wrong about 2 things here

1. 5sfe t-belt replacement 150000km

2. not auto ajusting only v6's v8's and newer deisels in toyota have auto adjusting tensioners

(you can readjust belt but you have to losen bolt)

the spring on the tensioner is only there to keep tension on bolt so you can check its right before you set it and reassemble

Fair enough, for most cars it's usually 100,000km as a general rule, obviously there are exceptions. No harm in replacing it at 100,000km intervals anyway, except for the cost of an extra change every 300,000km (a distance that most owners won't accrue on a single car).

Edited by Hiro Protagonist