Wheels 17 or 18 inch?

jps137

Looking to upgrade the wheels on the Camry (36 series) and we are trying to decide between 17 inch and 18 inch (currently have factory 15's). I know appearance is a matter of personal opinion, what I am after is feedback regarding ride and handling I have heard that 19 is going too far and becomes too harsh a ride and jumps around abit with the bumps in the road. The car is more of a family/comfort orientation rather than out and out sports, but 15 is just way too small.

What are peoples thoughts re 17 and 18 inch? I would like to hear from someone who has driven both for comparison.

Edited by jps137

Thanks for the input. I was getting some new rubber for the Corolla the other day and asked about pricing for the various sizes for the Camry. I looked specifically at Bridgestone Adrenalins as a sample that fitted all three rim sizes (16, 17 & 18)

16inch around $200

17inch just under $200

18inch over $300

With this in mind 17's are looking pretty good.

I had 17 before too and currently ride on 18... both feel the same but 18 does look better.. even with the 18 on I still feel it looks bit small for my gen 5, but not as bad as 17 I suppose....

Edited by Mac

agreed, the 17's would look a tad too small if you were to upgrade. the 18's would fill the wheel arches nicely. i also think the 18's would give you more steering feedback, which is always a good thing (and a bad thing at times - torque steer).

i had 18's on my sportivo for a while and the ride quality was still good. on an altise with the standard suspension setup, i think it would be even more forgiving on 18's than the sportivo.

bottom line, if youre going for looks, then 17 might be worth considering if you can find wheels that distract you from the large wheel arches (especially if its not lowered). but i think 18s would look much nicer and give better performance

I was running 17" on my ex-car and 20" for my aurion now.

I would go for 18" for looks because they look better.

If you are worrying about comfort, just get higher profile tyres so they can make the ride more comfort.

There wouldn't be much difference if you have smaller profile tyres on 17" or 18" (stiff in both ways anyway) and

you would feel so much stiffer than the 15" wheels, of course.

If you are fully after the comfort, get 17" with bigger profile tyres.

If you think you can sacrifice a little bit of comfort(not noticeable for me), get 18" with bigger profile tyres.

Handling would be pretty same in both sizes tho...

• 3 weeks later...