Monroe GT Gas or KYB Excel G?

chicaboo

Hey all,

I went to get my Eibachs fitted with a wheel alignment on Saturday, only to discover that my shocks are leaking oil out. So they wouldn't install the shocks, as it would only hasten the leak and they'd be rooted in no time flat.

Has anybody been in a position to compare Monroe GT Gas (same as some particular Pedders) against KYB Excel G? I'm not made of money at the moment, so I can't entertain thoughts of Koni this or that, sorry. I pretty much only want to hear about these two different kinds, as they are affordable.

Cheers, Gav.

Thanks Jade, hopefully they will see my thread soon. It would be good to get their feedback, particularly if they know someone with GT Gas or Pedders Sportryder.

Cheers, Gav.

KYB Excel Gs are essentially de rigueur amongst the older FWD Corolla crowd (82/93), they've got good history and solid performance. Whilst not GTs in particular, I have heard some shocker stories over the years about Monroes.

$640 through SB, and they are in stock too! The Monroes are $550 from Jax without even bargaining them down, but it sounds like $90 worth spending to me.

If I had my way I'd get get Tokico HP, but the exchange rate and time it takes to get them there would prove too costly. Assuming the Matrix shocks even fit?

But it's funny, I had been wondering why my car wasn't so great lately during my casual drives through the mountains the last couple of times. :whistling:

Gav.

$640 through SB, and they are in stock too! The Monroes are $550 from Jax without even bargaining them down, but it sounds like $90 worth spending to me.

If I had my way I'd get get Tokico HP, but the exchange rate and time it takes to get them there would prove too costly. Assuming the Matrix shocks even fit?

But it's funny, I had been wondering why my car wasn't so great lately during my casual drives through the mountains the last couple of times. :whistling:

Gav.

640 is well priced if thts to ur door too :) worth it :)

I'm told they are in stock, so if SB can get to pick them up in his busy schedule, I might be able to get them Thursday night if I throw in some kebab moniez. :P

I've already got the car booked in for spring/shock install plus wheel alignment for Saturday morning. :D

Does anyone know what camber/castor settings on the front LCAs give the best grip when powering out of corners? I thought maybe they could tell me, but no... :huh:

Gav.

Mate get the camber set at .75 deg negative. Anymore than that and tyre wear will be a another issue.

Will that give me better traction powering out of corners? Does -castor increase with -camber?

Gav.

I wasn't really impressed when Fulcrumbum were asking me for the specs for the wheel alignment! Considering I usually just say to them, I want "touge spec", and I get it...

Oh well, hopefully they don't stuff it up on Saturday. I reckon I will be having to go for a good drive that night to make sure the everything is just as I like it. :)

Gav.

Spoke to my suspension wholesaler regarding the difference between KYB and Monroe and they laughed big time.

There is a reason why we don't sell Monroe. they don't want the come backs and warranty claims headache's!! All Pedder's suspension struts/shocks are Monroe's just simply stamped with the Pedder's brand and painted red.

As far as they are concerned KYB is a far superior buy over the Monroe even if it is a tad dearer for all the obvious reasons.

Spoke to my suspension wholesaler regarding the difference between KYB and Monroe and they laughed big time.

There is a reason why we don't sell Monroe. they don't want the come backs and warranty claims headache's!! All Pedder's suspension struts/shocks are Monroe's just simply stamped with the Pedder's brand and painted red.

As far as they are concerned KYB is a far superior buy over the Monroe even if it is a tad dearer for all the obvious reasons.

made in japan to say the least xD

anyone tried BOGE shocks??

spoke to the guy at wholesale suspension and he says they are exactly the same and come out the same factory. and you get a better warranty

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lofi...php/t12821.html

no wonder they sounded so familiar..

Hey kiddies,

I got the Eibach springs and KYB Excel G shocks put in yesterday. The drop looks about the same as King lows to me.

This spring/shock combination gives a softer and more comfortable than stock ride quality, with perhaps one exception.

With the reduced stroke due to lowering, short quick bumps are more noticeable and can be felt through the suspension.

But driving on crappy road surfaces is much better, and the only one problem I have, is that the shocks are slightly too soft.

Something a little firmer like Tokico HP and Koni FSD would've been the ultimate set-and-forget solution, but $$$ talk ATM...

However, on the flip side, because these shocks are softer than stockies, they are more comfortable, and I don't mind baggy suspension anyhow.

Cheers, and thanks for all your feedback and input.

Gav.

I've nv been happier.

Took my mate on a ride who use to ride a S15 and is impressed by how tight it maintained around corners and yet is still comfy enough.

We started going down a straight and he thought I was on stockies not knowing much about rollas/stivos. Showed him around corners ....

:P :P :P :P :P :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy happy as ..............

What shocks and springs have you got Guni?

Interesting to note, that since they boxed up my old shocks and gave them back to me, about 1 teaspoon of oil has leaked out into the boxes. :o

Gav.

What shocks and springs have you got Guni?

Interesting to note, that since they boxed up my old shocks and gave them back to me, about 1 teaspoon of oil has leaked out into the boxes. :o

Gav.

As my mate Jaderd said up there, KYB + Kings.

Which shocks was leaking?

Both the front shocks were leaking, the left one being quite bad (no pressure left in the piston).

The rears look fine to me still, so I might store them upright and compressed so they are there for a rainy day.

Gav.