mystery switch

crownproject

hey all, first posted topic

i got a '76 crown super saloon that i've been restoring/repairing on the cheap and came across a switch that i have no idea what it does.

i didn't get an owners manual and was given a repair manual as a b'day present that doesn't explain it either.

to anyone who has a MS85, what on earth does the switch in the glove box do??? i've tried seeing if its for the glove box light, as a fuel pump kill switch, as a defogger, but it still is a bit of a mystery.

i know i could probably trace the wiring if i take apart the wiring loom that it goes into but i don't get enough time on my pride and joy to be able to.

if anyone can shed some light on this it'd be a huge relief.

lol yeah rear guns would be an added bonus.

i did check the rear parcel shelf as well as the glovebox for anything resembling any refrigeration (or otherwise) hookups but with no luck....i've only found refrig units in the 80's models.

i might trace the wires when i can get around to it, else re-wire it for a cooler box i was thinking of installing later anyway, i kinda figured it'd be a bit tricky seeing if anyone knew the purpose of the switch right away as these are a bit of a rare breed of car :)

oh and no the underlining was just for effect - no hyperlink was entered.

That switch in the glove box is an override for the electronic boot release.

You should have a switch near the bonnet release that releases the boot??? That switch in the glove box disables that boot release switch.

The idea is that you can take you car for service and lock stuff in the boot so it can't be tampered with.

Originally there was a service key supplied with the car brand new. The service would not open the boot or unlock the glove box. It only worked the ignition and the doors. I don't know how they were meant to check your spare after you did that???

Cheers,

Shane.

That switch in the glove box is an override for the electronic boot release.

You should have a switch near the bonnet release that releases the boot??? That switch in the glove box disables that boot release switch.

cheers Shane, and i didn't think i'd find out for ages! now i can sleep better at night lol.

and i guess i should have figured it as my boot release doesn't work and i thought i'd have to trace a break in the connection.

i appreciate for your concern but i would suggest you to go to work shop of tayota and ask them about that switch.

Tayota eh? They'll know the switch.

You seem to be saying in nearly all your replies to take it to the guys there. A bit of a generic response don't you think, especially for Xtra Trak who just wants to know where his radiator cap is in his '98 Tarago. Of course one can ask Toyota, but sometimes you can get better responses from people here.