Armrest breaking

the.rid

Driving along one day, and as you, do you lean on the armrest to shift position. Suddenly there is a 'crack' and the middle of the armrest becomes extremely flexible. Next service I mention this problem of the cracked armrest and it seems that this is 'common' to Kluger armrests. The Service Dept. then ordered a replacement. I asked to have a look at the broken armrest and when the Service chap came out with complete drivers side door panel I was almost speechless. The armrest had a split in the plastic base under the padded top running lengthwise down the armrest about 3" (85mm) long. For this they have to replace the whole panel. The new panel's armrest is substantially stronger and does not flex when you press on it with your fingers.

As the cost of replacing this panel is up in the high hundreds if it occurred out of warranty I think it would be advisable to check your armrests with the finger test and if it flexes take appropriate action.

Must check the passenger side armrest now and see if that one flexes as well. Will check a new Kluger when I next visit the dealer.

Did they say whether it's been fixed in models after a certain production date?

No, but then again I didn't ask. Our Grande has a build date of August 2007. The new panel's armrest is definitely stronger and does not bend as much when you press it in the middle. It still bends when you do the 'press in the middle with fingers' test, but at least it feels a bit thicker and stronger. I just went and checked the passenger side and that one feels decidedly dodgy (or should I say very flexible) in comparison, so will be chatting to the Service people shortly. Maybe this side panel will also need replacing.,

It probably would have been, or where did they get the 'stronger' spare part from?

I haven't noticed any dodgyness in the arm rest of my Nov 08 build KX-S

Edited by Colonel

It probably would have been, or where did they get the 'stronger' spare part from?

I haven't noticed any dodgyness in the arm rest of my Nov build KX-S

I have a March 08 build. The passenger side is rigid, but the driver's side is very flexible. It actually feels like it's broken already.

Edited by Kesawi

It actually feels like it's broken already.

Were're talking about driver and front passenger door arm rests right? Mine are very rigid (Nov 08). I suggest you put a good deal of your body weight on them and see if they break. Better to get them replaced now under warranty. They were probably designed for 40-60kg Japanese people.

Edited by Colonel

It actually feels like it's broken already.

Were're talking about driver and front passenger door arm rests right? Mine are very rigid (Nov 08). I suggest you put a good deal of your body weight on them and see if they break. Better to get them replaced now under warranty. They were probably designed for 40-60kg Japanese people.

Just one more thing I need to add to my list of warranty reapirs at the next service

Edited by Kesawi