Polaris Satnav

MJC

Hi all,

After much deliberation and research we have finally decided to get a new Kluger, KXS 2WD. Hopefully will be picking it up on Friday, fingers crossed!

I have read in these forums that a lot of people have replaced the head units with various makes and models but no-one seems to have used the Polaris unit. Does anyone know much about these units? I have been looking at either an iPod adaptor for the existing head unit in the interim or replacing the head unit with a satnav unit. From the photos I have seen it doesn't seem to sit real well in the dash. The Polaris PID3119 is just one of the units I am looking at.

Has anyone put in an iPod adaptor with the KXS head unit? Apparently the SoundLinQ SL2i is compatible with the Highlander, so I presume the Kluger as well?

Any other suggestions or experiences?

• 3 weeks later...

MJC,

i looked at the polaris and was put off a little by the quality or lack thereof....just didn't quite seem right...having said that i suppose at the right price...what the heck.

If you've followed the posts you would have seen that Mikeboy is a bit of a guru with most things electrical and he has actually upgraded the unit in his KX-R with a Kenwood (very nice!)

i'm still looking and hoping that all this doom and gloom and GFC business (can i mention the "R" word, seems like everyone else is at the moment) will mean i can haggle just a little harder with the audio guys.

For what its worth there's an Eclipse unit AVN600 (i think) soon to be replaced = negotiate hard and really get a good deal. As you may know Eclipse is the retail arm of Fujtitzu (did i spell that right...not even close)... as such i think you'll find that wiring harnesses and stuff like that a ready to go so you can keep all your steering button functions.

Hi all,

After much deliberation and research we have finally decided to get a new Kluger, KXS 2WD. Hopefully will be picking it up on Friday, fingers crossed!

I have read in these forums that a lot of people have replaced the head units with various makes and models but no-one seems to have used the Polaris unit. Does anyone know much about these units? I have been looking at either an iPod adaptor for the existing head unit in the interim or replacing the head unit with a satnav unit. From the photos I have seen it doesn't seem to sit real well in the dash. The Polaris PID3119 is just one of the units I am looking at.

Has anyone put in an iPod adaptor with the KXS head unit? Apparently the SoundLinQ SL2i is compatible with the Highlander, so I presume the Kluger as well?

Any other suggestions or experiences?

Hi,

Have a Polaris unit, and not too bad. Features very good, including onscreen ipod interface and bluetooth for phone. Also very handy being plug and play (same wiring as original headunit) and compatible with original steering controls.

Think little overpriced at the $1599 advertised at, but if you could pick one up for just over $1000 would be a great buy. (remember unit in the grande is over $3000, and doesn't have half the features!!)

I think they also sell under the Claris badge overseas. Ebay might be worth a look to try and snare one at a better price.

goodluck

Edited by wilsact

• 2 weeks later...

Originally I was told that the Cat10 would work but when they went to install it they found that it wasn't compatible. I haven't tried to get a PAC unit as I am pretty happy without the steering wheel controls and I have heard varying comments on the reliability of it.

I do still have the use of the display button on the wheel without any modifications which seemed to be a bit of a problem for some people.

Thanks Mikeyboy,

I was referring to the reliability of the PAC unit with the Pioneer unit in particular. I've done a bit of research over at avic forums and it appears that some users have better luck with it than others. I think this is more of a Pioneer issue than the PAC unit.

The wife hasn't complained about not having the steering wheel controls yet so I think I'll leave it for now!

I nearly bought the Kenwood instead of the Pioneer, how is the unit with iPod controls?

I nearly bought the Kenwood instead of the Pioneer, how is the unit with iPod controls?

The ipod interface is supposed to work well, but I wouldn't know. I'm anti-ipod; I can't see the point.

I have 2 USB ports I can use, instead of 1, because I don't have the ipod adapter fitted. I can search the USBs by album, artist and gendre so thats fine for me.