auspack reverse camera

Jorgeo

help with wiring please,

coming of the camera is a yellow which must go to unit and a black which I think connects to the black with 2 wires red & black coming out of it, but there is another set of wires blue [cam power & reverse checkup] red [rev light power] and black were do they go if I want to tap into reverse light?

It sounds like your unit is a little different to mine in terms of wiring since mine had a pink wire for the reverse light power sense, and a blue wire to trigger an amplifier. The camera should be the same though so out of the camera you will have two leads. One is a yellow RCA which connects to the reverse camera video input at the head unit. The other lead is a two-pair which has both red and black wires. These are easiest to connect directly with your reverse lights at the bulb end. This way the camera only comes on when the car is put into reverse. Connecting this is as simple as splicing into the leads that go to the bulb on the boot lid designated for the reverse lights.

Alternatively, from the sounds of it, your head unit has the black and red wires there to power your camera. If you want to, you can connect your camera power wires into that, but then you will need to run cables from the front to the back just for the camera power. Connecting them to your reverse lights would be a little more simple.

According to the way you described your unit, I would say that on the head unit end, you will only now need the blue wire. This is easiest to tap into the +12v line for the reverse light itself. That's how I did mine except I did it from the passenger side kick panel to save on excessive wiring.

dsc02442lr2.th.jpg dsc02436ay5.th.jpg

If you go that route, the plug that you will tap into has two red wires. The one you are after is that one with the silver dot on it.

It sounds like your unit is a little different to mine in terms of wiring since mine had a pink wire for the reverse light power sense, and a blue wire to trigger an amplifier. The camera should be the same though so out of the camera you will have two leads. One is a yellow RCA which connects to the reverse camera video input at the head unit. The other lead is a two-pair which has both red and black wires. These are easiest to connect directly with your reverse lights at the bulb end. This way the camera only comes on when the car is put into reverse. Connecting this is as simple as splicing into the leads that go to the bulb on the boot lid designated for the reverse lights.Alternatively, from the sounds of it, your head unit has the black and red wires there to power your camera. If you want to, you can connect your camera power wires into that, but then you will need to run cables from the front to the back just for the camera power. Connecting them to your reverse lights would be a little more simple.According to the way you described your unit, I would say that on the head unit end, you will only now need the blue wire. This is easiest to tap into the +12v line for the reverse light itself. That's how I did mine except I did it from the passenger side kick panel to save on excessive wiring.
dsc02442lr2.th.jpg    dsc02436ay5.th.jpgIf you go that route, the plug that you will tap into has two red wires. The one you are after is that one with the silver dot on it.

I have spent a few hours today and have most of it done, dismantling and installing nav/tv/rear camera was easy thanks to this forum. The camera wiring is still a problem, camera has a yellow cable which plugs into unit, red and black which I connect to reverse light wires [brown & white]is this correct? is this all I need to do our do I have to connect the pink wire to passenger kick plate as well. if so did you splice into red wire with silver dot or inserted it into plug?

one last thing camera came with another set of wires camera power and reverse check up, ground and reverse light power i have att photo of wires. should I disregard?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Jorgeo

I have spent a few hours today and have most of it done, dismantling and installing nav/tv/rear camera was easy thanks to this forum. The camera wiring is still a problem, camera has a yellow cable which plugs into unit, red and black which I connect to reverse light wires [brown & white]is this correct? is this all I need to do our do I have to connect the pink wire to passenger kick plate as well. if so did you splice into red wire with silver dot or inserted it into plug?

one last thing camera came with another set of wires camera power and reverse check up, ground and reverse light power i have att photo of wires. should I disregard?

Thanks for your help.

For the camera, the point where I tapped into the reverse light power at the bulb end, the two wires were red (+) and white with black trace (-). The pink wire still needs to be connected to the reverse light (+12v) as the head unit uses this to activate the reverse camera mode. At the kick panel, I spliced into the wire itself and not directly at the connector.

With that little little wiring harness supplied and shown in your attached photo, don't bother putting it in. It is just extra un-necessary wiring that you don't need.

Thanks for your help.

For the camera, the point where I tapped into the reverse light power at the bulb end, the two wires were red (+) and white with black trace (-). The pink wire still needs to be connected to the reverse light (+12v) as the head unit uses this to activate the reverse camera mode. At the kick panel, I spliced into the wire itself and not directly at the connector.

With that little little wiring harness supplied and shown in your attached photo, don't bother putting it in. It is just extra un-necessary wiring that you don't need.

need a hand or are you almost finish

[]the wiring at my kick board looks different to yours DJKOR, is the one that I am holding the wright wire?I noticed you had ipod cable coming out  the centre console did u have to drill?Thanks heaps for the help.

Edited by Jorgeo

I see your wiring looks a little bit different. Most likely due to extra options included with your car. Anyways, that red wire that you are holding on to is the wrong one. That entire plug is the incorrect one. If you look at your third photo, the plug that is directly above the blue plug is the one you will be looking for. After you unplug that, you should easily be able to see the wire that you need.

For situations like this, you should get yourself a cheap multimeter. They are really useful when you need to find wires like this.

As for the iPod adapter, I didn't need to drill any holes. There is a little cutout at the rear of the glove box that gives access to the pollen filter. You can conveniently route your iPod cable through here and that way it will remain out of sight.

I see your wiring looks a little bit different. Most likely due to extra options included with your car. Anyways, that red wire that you are holding on to is the wrong one. That entire plug is the incorrect one. If you look at your third photo, the plug that is directly above the blue plug is the one you will be looking for. After you unplug that, you should easily be able to see the wire that you need.

For situations like this, you should get yourself a cheap multimeter. They are really useful when you need to find wires like this.

As for the iPod adapter, I didn't need to drill any holes. There is a little cutout at the rear of the glove box that gives access to the pollen filter. You can conveniently route your iPod cable through here and that way it will remain out of sight.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Jorgeo

hope that the install was a success!!

I have contacted Auspack and they offer a two possible cameras. One that can be mounted into the bumber (need to saw a hole) or a mounted one (I guess on the plate). Just wondering if you can tell me which ones you used (pros & cons), maybe a pic or two of the finished mounted camera? The head unit install seems straight forward (I think) but I am a bit hesitant with hooking up the rear camera.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Have had the reversing camera from auspacks installed for a few weeks now. All working fine until a few days ago. All I get now is a blue screen with the word car in the top left hand corner.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so how didi you fix it.

I've checked all the connections at the camera end and they are alll fine

If anyone can help then it would be greatly apprrecaited.

Thanks

Have had the reversing camera from auspacks installed for a few weeks now. All working fine until a few days ago. All I get now is a blue screen with the word car in the top left hand corner.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so how didi you fix it.

I've checked all the connections at the camera end and they are alll fine

If anyone can help then it would be greatly apprrecaited.

Thanks

Hi Plugger

Have you been able to put a multimeter on the power input for the camera. The symptoms sound like the reverse signal connection to the headunit is OK (ie. getting 12 volts from reverse circuit), but there is no video signal being sent to the headunit. This could be power related, connection related or camera not working (hope it is not the latter for you).

Cheers

Michael