Aurion depreciation

boxerboy

I bought my ATX 2007 model with 15K kilometres and at 12 months age with the $120 15K service plan for the balance of the warranty. They wanted $29k, I paid $24K. To buy it new in '07 would have cost $37K (with the extras)

I traded 10 yo Acclaim which was realistically a $3K liability to me with the mechanical repairs it had coming. Lets say it was worth $2K. That would make my ATX depreciate at 11K in 12 months..orclose to 30%.

When I was looking at different vehicles, eg Commodore, Falcon, Maxima..it became apparent that these like vehicles (6cyl. family sedans) depreciated at around 50% @ 5 years, and way down to 90% at 9 years. Those numbers aren't exact of course, but you get the drift.

Have y'all noticed a worsening of the depreciation value of vehicles, or are decent second hand holding up verses a new one?

I suspect it might be down to 50% well inside of 5 years. :o

Edited by boxerboy

I bought my ATX 2007 model with 15K kilometres and at 12 months age with the $120 15K service plan for the balance of the warranty. They wanted $29k, I paid $24K. To buy it new in '07 would have cost $37K (with the extras)

I traded 10 yo Acclaim which was realistically a $3K liability to me with the mechanical repairs it had coming. Lets say it was worth $2K. That would make my ATX depreciate at 11K in 12 months..orclose to 30%.

When I was looking at different vehicles, eg Commodore, Falcon, Maxima..it became apparent that these like vehicles (6cyl. family sedans) depreciated at around 50% @ 5 years, and way down to 90% at 9 years. Those numbers aren't exact of course, but you get the drift.

Have y'all noticed a worsening of the depreciation value of vehicles, or are decent second hand holding up verses a new one?

I suspect it might be down to 50% well inside of 5 years. :o

The reason why Aurions have depreciated so quick is cause there a fleet car like what the commodores and fords are like.

there bought in bulk then sold cheap once the 30 to 40,000 km hits

Azza

Most car will depreciate about 40-50% in 3 years. Toyota's do tend to hold there value better over the longer term.

That's reliability for you. Most cars will drop 20% or so the instant you drive them out of the dealership, the better ones will then hold roughly that value for a year or so but the fleet cars like Falcodores and Camrions tend to keep dropping to around the 50% @ 3-year mark. After this though the 'Yotas will probably stabilise a bit where the Falcodores keep heading south, the fact that you can pick up BA/BF Falcons for under 10-grand is evidence enough of this.

I would guess aurion(not talking about other models) to be runnin dep similar to hold or ford, coz it's v6, most people out there are tired/cautious about fuel consumption, and they will hate those biggy engines(esp those dying v8s)

And older they get, less value + more petrol consumption.. that's why price drop?

m i correct? <_<

(also, if they knew aurion's problem with the rattling and stuff, they would be worried to buy them at older age..)

i bought mine with 4000km's on it as a demo 1 yr ago its a 07 sx6 sportivo i bought it for $35,000 with free towbar, window tint, and interior and exterior protection as off feb this yr wanted to trade it on a new one and it now has 43,000km's on the clock and all id get for it was $24-$26,000. pfft whats the point might as well wait till shes vintage now.

cheers

stewy

My Presara has dropped in 13 months from 48to 25K on trade in With only 11,000 kms on the clock that really savage

alan

Red book says more...but who's to say they're right?

* Private Price Guide $35,700 - $38,900

* Trade In Price Guide $30,000 - $33,200

* Average Km 15,000 - 25,000

* Price When New (RRP) $49,990

I have to agree with SupaTouring, you really have to keep haggling if you are serious about trade ins; the dealers find it hard to offload these and because of the new car sales boom in previous years as well as cars coming out of leases, it is even worse for sellers in the used car industry although very good for buyers as there is a very big choice.

With fuel prices the way they are, it seems we are going the way of Europe where 2.0L cars like the Mondeo are considered large cars and diesels are everywhere!

Toyota seems to be doing the right thing utilising a 6-speeder in order to keep real world fuel consumption down and the press have applauded this when compared to Commodores and Falcons - one reason why Holden is bringing Active Fuel Management to their V8s and retuned their V6 and Ford rejigged their auto trans.

Despite all this, V8 popularity has never really waned. You can still get relatively good fuel economy as long as you are light on the throttle and just ride the wave of torque at low RPMs.

Aside from the fleet cars, take a look at the retained value of the Mazda 6, Subaru Liberty, Honda Accord and perhaps Nissan's Maxima. You may be in for a rude shock at first, but if you think about it, it actually makes sense if you think about who buys these cars.

-m_luke

I would guess aurion(not talking about other models) to be runnin dep similar to hold or ford, coz it's v6, most people out there are tired/cautious about fuel consumption, and they will hate those biggy engines(esp those dying v8s)

And older they get, less value + more petrol consumption.. that's why price drop?

m i correct? <_<

(also, if they knew aurion's problem with the rattling and stuff, they would be worried to buy them at older age..)

i agreed wih you! B)