Project 5S-GTE

Starting the 3S-GTE swap tonight... step 1 will be the hunt for the parts (which are strewn all over the place)

If I can find everything, then propper work can commence tomorrow. if I can i'd like to have it in the car by the weekend.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn. that sucks man. want a v8 for it? I have one here for ya :D lol.

not quite sure a 460 big block would fit :P

Collected most of the bits for the 3SGTE, pulled the sump off and quickly found the source of the problem with it;

4617962015_d8175171f9_o.jpg

Yep, the bearings were in backwards...

4618575834_00d6f2340f_o.jpg

pile of parts

4618576166_b2b4bebcdf_o.jpg

motor on the stand

**** nigga thats a bummer!!!!!!

wouldnt u be able to get more power out the 3S? or am i just a retard?

If its a 5S-GTE then its a 5S-FE (+T) with a 3S head, ya? so its kinda like having a stroked 3S... should be more torquey.

Sucks man! $300 isn't that much in the scheme of things, you should def. get a 5S-GTE in there when you can.

**** nigga thats a bummer!!!!!!

wouldnt u be able to get more power out the 3S? or am i just a retard?

If its a 5S-GTE then its a 5S-FE (+T) with a 3S head, ya? so its kinda like having a stroked 3S... should be more torquey.

Sucks man! $300 isn't that much in the scheme of things, you should def. get a 5S-GTE in there when you can.

It was a 5S-FE block + 3S-GE Head + Turbo... so moar torque, and maybe a tiny bit more power, bit less safe (3S-GTE rods are stronger, has oil squirters, etc)

I know $300 isnt a great deal in the scheme of things, but considering I already have gone a fair way over budget with this and have a limited time in which to get things done I just cant finish the 5S yet.

After the national meet, I might just go all out with it...

e.g Bore the 3SGTE block to suite 5S size pistons, run 5S Crank, forged pistons/rods, better tubo, better management, etc.

another fail has risen its head

whats the plan now mate?

Well, I spoke to my mate who is an apprentice mechanic... he said he would talk to his boss about it for me (has been a mech for 20 years)

His boss said the scratch would probably be fine and I would just need to replace the oil ring retainer (which i have spares of :D)

I wanted to know for sure so I took the motor down to him today, he confirmed that it was indeed fine.

So, its back on again, I will pull the pistons out, re-ring them and try agin... if it goes to hell this time then **** it, I will take the yaris to syd.

wish me luck

Are you talking about the racist mechanic, lol. Good to hear man, hope it all goes well this time.

yeah, the one who doesn't like you for some reason. ahah.

F*CK

Re-ringed it, went to re-torque the conrod studs, set my torque wrench to 59nm (as per the book) got all of them done, was on the last one and the stud snapped.

f*uck this. I am over it.

Of course i will finish it, but I am pretty sure it wont be making it to sydney. *cries*

easy-out it, u can do it mate, dont give up now

I can get the stud out no problem, but its one that holds the bigend bearing cap on, i dont know if i will be able to get another one.

Re-ringed it, went to re-torque the conrod studs, set my torque wrench to 59nm (as per the book) got all of them done, was on the last one and the stud snapped.

Are they torque to yield bolts? If so then did you measure them for stretch? If not, I would be concerned about the rest of them.

easy-out it, u can do it mate, dont give up now

I can get the stud out no problem, but its one that holds the bigend bearing cap on, i dont know if i will be able to get another one.

start ringing around man, thats the only way to find out, are the 3sgte studs/bolts the same?

well, game over kids. I cant get replacment studs aparantly... Will need a new conrod, and I cant get that for another week or so. I wont have enough time to do this before syd :(

I will still get it done, but unfortunately I will be in the yaris for this meet.

So sorry to hear this Mick :( Damn that sux! But, the Yaris will be representing well :D And, to think on the real positive side, it gives you another year to get the Celica really going for the next annual meet!! (which I'm guessing will be in Brisbane)

Damn it, these things happen mate. I'm still not out of the water yet either, the tune is the crucial thing for my build.

Hope yours goes well, we need at least one boosted 5s there!

a week, yeh thats fine! im down (and im sure D and maybe someone else) for helping you make this work ie. getting your crank next and us boys GTFOver your house and help with the install. we can do this man i wanna be driving with this down to syd and i know how much you do too

a week, yeh thats fine! im down (and im sure D and maybe someone else) for helping you make this work ie. getting your crank next and us boys GTFOver your house and help with the install. we can do this man i wanna be driving with this down to syd and i know how much you do too

Hell yeah. We can assemble a dream team and make this work.

It such a shame things have turned out this way, but as with most things in life, there is a reason for it.