Project 5S-GTE

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@D. Yeah that will happen once i disassemble the engine

@Ash. and then, i went up stars and started drinking... Will pull the motor to bits tomorrow, ready for machining

@trent I f*cking hope so. Should have it to the machinist next monday, and back together next weekend if all goes to plan

update kids. Motor is stripped of all accessories and the gearbox, by the end of the day it will be completely disassembled and ready for machining.

Will put up pics later.

Man, with so many bits added to the collection you have going in your garage, it's amazing how you keep track of the right parts.

Having never worked on an engine like that, I would imagine it being quite rewarding when you put it all back together and starting it up.

And yay, you can now sort that clutch out.

@D. yeah its a f*cking mess at the moment, it will be interesting trying to find all the bits haha.

I will clean the gearbox, etc up while the motor is at the shop

@trent. the top of tbe block needs a quick surface, the bore needs a hone and the head needs a surface.

Obviously u will be using the 5S crank, which rods and pistons are u using? And do some of the water jackets need to be blocked off?

The ones that came out of it. I am using a revision1 3S-GE head, which bolts right on (all the coolant jackets and oil holes line up perfectly, i confirmed that this arvo)

All of the pistions are in very good condition, with absolutely zero blow by, i was f*cking amazed to be honest.

That is awesome, most people use the Gen 2 head and have to block the galleries, the only question is why the hell didn't Toyota mate them together. blink.gif

your a machine mick, what are the king springs going into. hurry up and get it finished i want to be cruising down with this in june

haha the kings are for the rolla sitting behind it.

I got some cool sh*t on the way suspension wise for the front of my car.

Make sure u have a really clean work area when rebuilding dude, a small grain of sand or dirt etc. can rip that sh*t to pieces(no doubt u already know that). Also what are the main differences size wise in the head, as in difference in valve springs, valve sizes etc.

I'm pretty curious on this, because if i need to rebuild down the track a 5S-GZE would be pretty cool and the way i'd go.

Edited by trentmeyer23

Make sure u have a really clean work area when rebuilding dude, a small grain of sand or dirt etc. can rip that sh*t to pieces(no doubt u already know that). Also what are the main differences size wise in the head, as in difference in valve springs, valve sizes etc.

I'm pretty curious on this, because if i need to rebuild down the track a 5S-GZE would be pretty cool and the way i'd go.

Yeah, I def. need to clean up when it all goes together. I will probably take it to another part of the shed that is actually clean.

I will measure the valves and stuff for you with putting it together, but the GE has bigger ports, thats obvious.

Don't worry mate, i think i answered my own question:

5S-FE: Intake valves: 33mm (head diameter) X 97.5mm (stem length) with a 6mm diameter stem

Exhaust valves: 28mm (head diameter) X 98.5mm (stem length) with a 6mm diameter stem

3S-GTE: 33.5 mm diameter (1.32 in)

29.0 mm diameter (1.14 in)

Here is some detailed info for y'all

3S-GE

Capacity 1,998 cc (121.93 cu in)

Bore x Stroke 86 mm (3.39 in) x 86 mm (3.39 in)

Intake Valve Diameter 33.5 mm (1.32 in)

Exhaust Valve Diameter 29.0 mm (1.14 in)

Power at flywheel 112Kw

5S-FE

Capacity 2,163 cc (131.99 cu in)

Bore x Stroke 87.12 mm (3.43 in) x 90.93 mm (3.58 in)

Intake Valve Diameter 33.0 mm (1.29 in)

Exhaust Valve Diameter 28.0 mm (1.10 in)

Power at flywheel 97Kw