help with replacement bulbs

djkotic

hey guys,

when i got my car, i didnt really know that the heating/cooling controls were meant to illuminate at night. silly right?

but a friend used to have my car and he tripped out because it was so dim. apparently you're meant to be able to see the fan dials, cold/hot dials, etc.

is there an easy way of replacing the bulbs to make them work again?

1992 celica sx 5s-fe

cheers !

ive taken the dashboard out before but i when i did that, the whole thing didnt come off, it was stuck at where the heater/cooling controls were. i took out every screw i could see. maybe theres a hidden one somewhere?

Is the brightness dial (right hand side of ignition) turned all the way clockwise so the pic of the bulb is upright?

yeah, its on max brightness. each button's led works ie. the 5 buttons for modes, rear demister. but its just the fan dial and cool/hot dial which should be lit up, i think the bulb is dead or something.

• 2 weeks later...

man i have a speed cable that needs to be replaced, tightened.. not looking forward to that.. so i'm just using my GPS in speedomode...

just dont have the time to muck around with the dash

man i have a speed cable that needs to be replaced, tightened.. not looking forward to that.. so i'm just using my GPS in speedomode...

Speed cable?? Mine is electronic?

Speed cable?? Mine is electronic?

hmm.. so maybe its a bad connection then.. i haven't looked into it enough to know how its rigged up... the needle intermittently gives the right speed.. then just drops to 0... perhaps if i simply reseat the harness it will come good.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem.... One day.. I'm going to strip all the T5 and T10 bulbs out and put blue ones in... one day...

If you happen to be in Brisbane.... I could probably give you a hand after doing it myself.. I have the repair manual which tells me how to do it....

And yes.. ST185 is electronic ... not mechanical... it's 8 pulse.. not the standard 4 pulse that you get in most cars.... You should look up your wiring diagram to see which cable on your ECU wiring harness is the "SPD" connector.. should be a big fat connector... I'm suspecting it's your connection to the actual dial that's screwed...