somethings burning...

ok i'm fairly new to the car scene... and i just got my first car - 2003 ascent :D

im really in love with it now... got some big plans for it...

but i have one problem... if i drive it for a bit, and rev the engine up fairly high (but nothing too high), i get a really strong burning smell... sorta smells alot like burning oil, but im not sure...

any ideas what this could be? it was serviced at about 10,000ks (its done 14200 now), maybe i should go get it checked out again...

so yeah if anyone could give me an idea of what this might be, it would be really appreciated :)

ok i'm fairly new to the car scene... and i just got my first car - 2003 ascent  :D

im really in love with it now... got some big plans for it...

but i have one problem... if i drive it for a bit, and rev the engine up fairly high (but nothing too high), i get a really strong burning smell... sorta smells alot like burning oil, but im not sure...

any ideas what this could be? it was serviced at about 10,000ks (its done 14200 now), maybe i should go get it checked out again...

so yeah if anyone could give me an idea of what this might be, it would be really appreciated  :)

Could be a variety of things, are you driving it hard and is it a manual? if so your probably just heating your clutch up a bit, if not then it could be a multitude of things.

Can you give us some more details like manual or auto, how hard you drive it, how long you drive it for before it smells etc etc

Cheers

Blade

i can vouch that, if you plant an auto. it burns up

Can you provide more detail on that, grimlock? Examples of the type of driving, particular atmospheric conditions, load, etc?

I notice a slight burning smell from our auto when I've been up it a bit, but I assumed it was just hot brakes (stops nicely for a "family wagon", really).

I always get this burning eggy smell. It smells like half burnt oil and half eggy. I think it's the cat converter burning. But I get this more often now since I put in the CAI. I get it whether I drive it hard or not. Strange. I'm not sure if it's normal. Can anyone confirm this?

yeah my car's a manual. it happens usually when i rev it up off the mark, so its not like im driving the car hard.. i don't have to drive the car long to smell it, basically as soon as i get the car into high rpm (but mostly in first and sometimes second), it starts to smell.

its basically the same smell that blackrolla described - really eggy and burning... it comes through my air-con too, which is just a pain in the *****.

so what could it be? its really a gross smell, and if its because something is burning my engine out, i would like it to stop... :angry:

yeah my car's a manual. it happens usually when i rev it up off the mark, so its not like im driving the car hard.. i don't have to drive the car long to smell it, basically as soon as i get the car into high rpm (but mostly in first and sometimes second), it starts to smell.

its basically the same smell that blackrolla described - really eggy and burning... it comes through my air-con too, which is just a pain in the *****.

so what could it be? its really a gross smell, and if its because something is burning my engine out, i would like it to stop...  :angry:

clutch?

in my friends auto car,

if i constantly brake and plant, the car will make a burning smell.

combination of brakes and something else

This is with a few passengers and about 20degrees outside

in my car, manual no such smell.

That rotten egg smell is hydrogen sulfide

You got crap pretrol with a good dose of sulfur or what not

thus that smell

poor you.

heheheheh

I think my driving is decent. I don't think it's my driving. Been driving manual since 17. It's been almost 10 years. I don't think I'm burning the clutch. I have always had this smell. I thought when putting a CAI in would cause more hot air to pass through the cat converter causing the smell. I know new cars normally has this smell because of the new cat. My fren's 200sx has this smell too and it's worst than mine. I thought this was normal. So I guess it's not. Another problem to add to my list. <_<

I think my driving is decent. I don't think it's my driving. Been driving manual since 17. It's been almost 10 years. I don't think I'm burning the clutch. I have always had this smell. I thought when putting a CAI in would cause more hot air to pass through the cat converter causing the smell. I know new cars normally has this smell because of the new cat. My fren's 200sx has this smell too and it's worst than mine. I thought this was normal. So I guess it's not.  Another problem to add to my list.  <_<

yeah i think i know wat u are talking about. i get that too. it seems strongest when the car has warmed up from cold or a bit of city driving that has been done. i don't get that smell after a long freeway cruise, unless i get off the freeway doing my favourite loop at the holland park exit off the M1.

in my friends auto car,

if i constantly brake and plant, the car will make a burning smell.

combination of brakes and something else

Yeah, we only get the smell in our auto if its been driven harder than normal. I figured it was the brakes, because they get a much harder time in the auto, at least in the manual you share the slowing part between gears and brakes.

I always get this burning eggy smell. It smells like half burnt oil and half eggy. I think it's the cat converter burning. But I get this more often now since I put in the CAI. I get it whether I drive it hard or not. Strange. I'm not sure if it's normal. Can anyone confirm this?

actually eggy smell, sounds like clutch. i'm quite familiar with that smell since someone tried to launch my car off 3rd gear. slipping it for i'd say a good 300 out of 400m? :P

actually eggy smell, sounds like clutch. i'm quite familiar with that smell since someone tried to launch my car off 3rd gear. slipping it for i'd say a good 300 out of 400m? :P

hahah almost fell out of my chair, also i hope its not your clutch as the **** ****ers at toyota will tell you its meant to wear and to come back when you have a problem, when you do that they will inform you that you should have seen them when the problem first appeared and then will kindly charge you for a new clucth and flywheel.

• 1 month later...

yeah i ended up working out that the hideous smell was my clutch and my manual driving :P

it happened mostly when i was doing hill starts and letting the clutch out rrrreeeeaaaallllll slowly whilst i revved it up... my hill starts were oh so smooth, but my clutch was paying... so i've changed my style...

Anyone at Milton tonight would have seen the burning smell there...

It's called Lang Park... :P

I get a strange smell coming through the Air con sometimes when i give my car a bit, I always thought this was something to do with the air-con gas they used and the compressor getting spun at 6000 RPM maybe forceing it through too fast because it does get a lot colder when the revs are up.

i replace my oil and oil filter b4 5000km all the time. i get that eggy burning smell sometimes.

u drive hard much? coz needless to say... if the car is being driven hard it is going to take a beating aha. but its good ur replacing regularly, thats wat she needs if she's a tad smelly!

i got the burn smell after about 3000km first time.