Intake resonator

addy287

This post was made for pimp_tivo but can be used by anyone

i'll do my best to point u in the right direction, however i must point out that i have a different engine to you, so i am not 100% certain about urs. If there are any other readers who can correct me in anyway please do so. oh and i dont accept responsibility for any damages.

Basically, if u follow ur intake piping and you looking for the resonator, it will just be a black box that is connected for no apparent reason.

Here is my enging Bay. Circled in red is where my resonator is located, most engines will have 2 my other one is where the pod filter is. a way to locate if your engine has a second one is to look at the filter box (yellow) and follow the piping AWAY from the enging...you may need to pull the front bumper off if u want to remove this one.

08-02-09_1828d.jpg

I did my best to try find a 2az-fe engine that had a clear image of the resonator. Here is wot i found. Because i havn't actually seen it in real life, i can't tell u exactly how to remove it, so thats up for u to decide. I'm just locating it for u. circled in red (btw car is a 2005 TOYOTA CAMRY ACV36R MY06 SPORTIVO)

5323024d.jpg

and here is another pic of a 2az-fe on a later model camry

800px-Toyota_2AZ-FE_engine_001d.jpg

hope this helps you, and anyone else looking to remove their intake resonators

Edited by addy287

That last picture sure looks like a RAV4 to me. :D On my RAV, the resonator is white and looks a lot like the washer fluid reservoir. It's located inside the fender in between the headlamp and front wheel.

thanx mate i will remove them on the weekend, so basically they r there to reduce the intake noise.

any hints what u could use to block the hole up with??

thanx again for the help

Edited by pimp-tivo

thanx mate i will remove them on the weekend, so basically they r there to reduce the intake noise.

any hints what u could use to block the hole up with??

thanx again for the help

not really, if u remove the one in the front fender then dont block that up, it lets more air in, but as for the other one, maybe pvc or sumthing along the lines of that. mine was a bit easier to remove, although i did have to re-locate the crank breather

i'd recommend against using pvc piping as its too rigid. if you rev your engine in neutral with the engine bay open, you'll see how much the engine moves in the mounts. this movement, coupled with the rigidity of pvc piping attached to the outlet on the air box, will put too much stress on the airbox itself and possibly crack it. you need something flexible but highly durable, such as reinforced silicone hosing.

you can pick up a 1 foot piece from supercheap auto for $39. you'll then need to buy some vaccum hose attachments to reconnect the hoses what were previously going into the upper resonator. for the lower resonator, you can block it off by removing it, then taping some thick durable plastic over the opening, then installing the resonator again. or you can just remove it, both options give slightly different sounds.

contrary to what addy287 said, removing it won't actually let more air in, your engine is still sucking in the same amount of air. the only thing that changes is the noise.

contrary to what addy287 said, removing it won't actually let more air in, your engine is still sucking in the same amount of air. the only thing that changes is the noise.

Unless it was a restriction in the first place :P But yes, a lot of people fail to understand that cars always* suck in the same amount of air even if there is no piping whatsoever and just an open throttle body.

i'd recommend against using pvc piping as its too rigid. if you rev your engine in neutral with the engine bay open, you'll see how much the engine moves in the mounts. this movement, coupled with the rigidity of pvc piping attached to the outlet on the air box, will put too much stress on the airbox itself and possibly crack it. you need something flexible but highly durable, such as reinforced silicone hosing.

you can pick up a 1 foot piece from supercheap auto for $39. you'll then need to buy some vaccum hose attachments to reconnect the hoses what were previously going into the upper resonator. for the lower resonator, you can block it off by removing it, then taping some thick durable plastic over the opening, then installing the resonator again. or you can just remove it, both options give slightly different sounds.

i understand that the engine has a limit to which it can suck air. but if u add another passage for the air to get into the intake piping, and when ur foot is planted to the floor there is no lag. from wot i did to my intake i have noticed better throttle response, and it is manily due to the removal of the resonators

and as for the pvc, u can see by my engine (1mz-fe) the first picture that i uploaded, that from the throttle body there is flexy tubing to a solid resonator to flexy tubing to air box. i simply removed the solid resonator and replaced it with pvc... is that really putting strain on the intake? as it was already solid before.

i am not trying in any way to be a smart**** im just putting forward wot i have been told by numerous people, if u have any further information that can help me or advise me with it would be greaty appreciated

i understand that the engine has a limit to which it can suck air. but if u add another passage for the air to get into the intake piping, and when ur foot is planted to the floor there is no lag. from wot i did to my intake i have noticed better throttle response, and it is manily due to the removal of the resonators

and as for the pvc, u can see by my engine (1mz-fe) the first picture that i uploaded, that from the throttle body there is flexy tubing to a solid resonator to flexy tubing to air box. i simply removed the solid resonator and replaced it with pvc... is that really putting strain on the intake? as it was already solid before.

i am not trying in any way to be a smart**** im just putting forward wot i have been told by numerous people, if u have any further information that can help me or advise me with it would be greaty appreciated

the engine cannot suck in more air with the stock intake still installed. adding an extra opening (ie. removing the resonator) only allows it to suck air from different directions.

regarding the pvc, i misinterpreted you. if you replace the WHOLE tube with pvc piping, then yes its putting undue stress on the airbox, but if you've only replaced the resonator with straight through piping while still keeping the flexible rubber tubing, then it makes no difference to stress. (i thought you meant you replace the whole thing)

the engine cannot suck in more air with the stock intake still installed. adding an extra opening (ie. removing the resonator) only allows it to suck air from different directions.

regarding the pvc, i misinterpreted you. if you replace the WHOLE tube with pvc piping, then yes its putting undue stress on the airbox, but if you've only replaced the resonator with straight through piping while still keeping the flexible rubber tubing, then it makes no difference to stress. (i thought you meant you replace the whole thing)

now i know where ur coming from about the pvc, yes that would be stupid. still about the intake and more air issue.

if for example u floor it off the line, with just the stock opening u will get x amount of air into the 'piping' but max air into the throttle body.

if u have a second opening, there is more air in the 'piping' therefore the maximum amount of air that can be sucked by the throttle body is reached quicker therefore better response......

thats wot i was trying to say, does that make sense?

now i know where ur coming from about the pvc, yes that would be stupid. still about the intake and more air issue.

if for example u floor it off the line, with just the stock opening u will get x amount of air into the 'piping' but max air into the throttle body.

if u have a second opening, there is more air in the 'piping' therefore the maximum amount of air that can be sucked by the throttle body is reached quicker therefore better response......

the diameter of your intake pipe can only hold so much air, mate ;)

but wont it fill up quicker with 2 inlets rather than one?

Edited by addy287

no because your engines volumetric efficiency still remains the same, 2 air inlets or not. hence why no power gains are made with this particular setup.

no because your engines volumetric efficiency still remains the same, 2 air inlets or not. hence why no power gains are made with this particular setup.

so howcome im getting better throttle response?

so howcome im getting better throttle response?

Butt-dyno. You think there should be a benefit, your ears are hearing new noises that sound "more powerful", so your brain convinces you that there must have been an improvement.

Unless you are feeding cooler air into the intake, or there was a massive restriction in the stock inlet piping, you will get NO benefit at the wheels whatsoever. A change in intake noise, yes (thats because the resonators are designed purely and simply for making the intake quiet), but a change in power no.

Think of it this way - imagine you are sucking up Coke through a straw. Assuming the straw is wide enough, the limit on how much Coke you can suck up is your mouth. Adding another straw won't make you suck up more, it will just split the flow. Now if the straw is too small to start off with, you will notice that you'll be limited in how much you can suck up, and adding a second straw will improve flow (up until the limitations of your mouth). But in real life, no car is made with that much of a restriction in the piping stock - a little, maybe (a couple of %, if that)

In this metaphor, Coke is air, the straws are the intake pipes, and your mouth the engine. Make sense now?

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up an old post guys. I wanted to ask you addy287, with the set up that you have i.e. pod in the bumper with the resonator removed, with the top resonator still installed, is the sound from the engine (under acceleration) much louder? Because I think I might try your set up on my Camry (same as yours, except late 1997 model).

Thanks

Yes but shorter straws allows you to not use as much force to suck up the coke :P You may get better response aka rev out slightly easier because of this. Note: "slightly"

The sound is definitely louder since the "noise suppressing" part of the intake is removed.

Since we're on the topic of intakes, how much air does the stock air intake get from behind the headlights? Im guessing not much at all, every other path is blocked. I can see why addy287 would get better response, coz there is actually more air and it is colder therefore higher density. The stock setup is like sucking on a straw that's bent at the end.

Behind the headlights is actually a very good place to suck air from as the air there is usually fairly cool, and something about higher pressure there. Read that in an article somewhere lol.

• 2 years later...

awwe maang, !

*first off sorry for reviving the dead* - i was about this close -> <- to make a new post about this, but through patience and numerous scrolls of the camry forum (im on page 37 and still going haha) i found a "resonator" thread. unfortunately there are no photos :( can anyone help with this ?

tried to msg OP but hes been afk for 3 weeks >< !

any help would be greatly appreciated :]

Take the left wheel off.

Take the guard lining off. You can do this starting from the front as you wont need to undo the whole thing, just enough to get inside the left guard.

The big black plastic box thing you see is it. I think it is 2 bolts holding it in.

Looking at the engine bay, if you had extra vision, it would be under the battery.

Take the left wheel off.

Take the guard lining off. You can do this starting from the front as you wont need to undo the whole thing, just enough to get inside the left guard.

The big black plastic box thing you see is it. I think it is 2 bolts holding it in.

Looking at the engine bay, if you had extra vision, it would be under the battery.

cool thanks ill take a look at in about an hour or two, my whole front bar is off, so should be easier to get through :P