Tyre rotation queries

kirby7777

My Kluger Grande is having its 10000 km service soon.

Should I do a 4 tyre rotation or a 5 tyre rotation?

For a 5 tyre rotation how should it be done?

Should they do it this way as per Diagram G ? 5 tyre rotation or tire_rotation_fg.jpg

Also I am keeping the tyre pressure at 38 psi. Is that satisfactory?

Thanks.

I hacve been rotating mine as per diagram G - been doing mine every 5,000km, so about to do the 5th rotation. I've got it down pat now, takes me less than an hour.

More rotation discussion here

Cheers!

Yes I do my own, partly because I do it every 5,000km and partly because I wasn;t sure if the dealer would rotate the spare into the mix. If I wasn't doing it myself I would definitely mark the tyres somehow just to be sure it gets done! (but probably not with chalk in case it gets washed off or something!)

I always rotate all 5 types and The dealer will 'forget' or 'mix up' which to which all time during the service. So forget the diagram and keep the eye on the types: the worses worn one put back as the spare in each service. And keep the best one as 'spare' when you need new set of types - get only 4 new types when time is up.

:toast:

And keep the best one as 'spare' when you need new set of types - get only 4 new types when time is up.

:toast:

A bit confusing here.

I thought rotating 5 tyres is to ensure that they are almost evenly worn. This would make the set last longer. So when time come to replace the tyres, shouldn't all be replaced?

If you then have 4 new tyres and 1 old tyre, how would doing 5 tyre rotation be possible then? Unless the next cycle is a 4 tyres rotation. :)

A bit confusing here.

If you then have 4 new tyres and 1 old tyre, how would doing 5 tyre rotation be possible then? Unless the next cycle is a 4 tyres rotation. :)

Only need to rotate the 4 new types; or till 'new types' worn out as the old spare one, then rotate all 5 types again.

:yahoo:

Since I don't plan on replacing with the same tyre I will be buying a set of 5, so want mine all worn evenly hence I follow that diagram G strictly

Current original tyres cause underestimation of travelling speed and ALSO distance travelled. So would replacing them with a slightly larger diameter tyres helps in rectifying the problem?

I am going print that Diagram G out in colour and mark all tyres with chalk. Then I am going to tell them I am watching them like a hawk to make sure that they do rotate them.

Since I don't plan on replacing with the same tyre I will be buying a set of 5, so want mine all worn evenly hence I follow that diagram G strictly

You must be DIY then

Current original tyres cause underestimation of travelling speed and ALSO distance travelled. So would replacing them with a slightly larger diameter tyres helps in rectifying the problem?

I am going print that Diagram G out in colour and mark all tyres with chalk. Then I am going to tell them I am watching them like a hawk to make sure that they do rotate them.

I'm thinking about getting the next tyres in 255/55R19, hoping that will solve the speedo problem a little (bearing in mind that an increase in diameter will affect the acceleration and possibly trip computer calcs)

The trip computer is already out. Another underestimation compared with the GPS.

One of my work place took me 120km according to GPS but about 3-4 km less with that of the Kluger trip computer.

Someone said somewhere that the speedo is out but the trip computer is ok. My experience is that they are both out and underestimated. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

So you rotate the tyres yourself?

Should I mark each tyre with a chalk and labelling them 1-5 to make sure that they have indeed rotated the tyres?

I rotate them between services myself and get Toyota to do it at each service. I marked my tyres to check that they were rotated as per the owners manual diagram (all 5). I had to go back last service to get them to do it again properly.

I marked my tyres to check that they were rotated as per the owners manual diagram (all 5). I had to go back last service to get them to do it again properly.

I found that page in the owner's manual. Page 311.

However, the way suggested in the manual is a bit different from the Diagram G above. Which one should be used?

Thanks.

Edited by kirby7777

I wish I had known from the beginning that the original Dunlops weren't being brought into Australia, as I would have included my spare in the mix which I had rotated every service.

Now the 4 on car are worn out (60,000km) and I am left with an orphaned brand new tyre when I replace all 5 next month.

If anyone wants to buy my 17" Dunlop let me know. (I'm in Caloundra)

I marked my tyres to check that they were rotated as per the owners manual diagram (all 5). I had to go back last service to get them to do it again properly.

I found that page in the owner's manual. Page 311.

However, the way suggested in the manual is a bit different from the Diagram G above. Which one should be used?

Thanks.

Make copies of the Diagram from the owner's manual page 311, put it on the service booklet each time to remind them.

Because it is official and they can't bulls*** with you.

What do you think?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Make copies of the Diagram from the owner's manual page 311, put it on the service booklet each time to remind them.

What do you think?

I showed them Diagram G and a copy of page 311 in the manual and asked them which one they would use. They pick page 311. I gave the copy to them and also told them that the tyres are all marked.

Checked after the service, it was correctly done.

Somehow the right front tyre's outer rim was worn more. So a front and rear wheel alignment were performed. Cost $50 extra.

What do you think?

I showed them Diagram G and a copy of page 311 in the manual and asked them which one they would use. They pick page 311. I gave the copy to them and also told them that the tyres are all marked.

Checked after the service, it was correctly done.

Somehow the right front tyre's outer rim was worn more. So a front and rear wheel alignment were performed. Cost $50 extra.

U R Legends! :toast::yahoo:

I wish I had known from the beginning that the original Dunlops weren't being brought into Australia, as I would have included my spare in the mix which I had rotated every service.

Now the 4 on car are worn out (60,000km) and I am left with an orphaned brand new tyre when I replace all 5 next month.

If you were in Sydney I would consider it.

I most likely will go Advan's all round like the XT :)

• 1 month later...

Went to a few tyre dealers last week to get quotes when one of them announced that Dunlop are bringing in the 245/65/17 (as fitted OEM) in mid July.

I am happy to stay with the Dunlops as they have given me 65,000km (still haven't hit the wear marks - but close) with no trouble on outback dirt, mud, snow and hwy.

I will now rotate all 5 to try to get a longer run, but first a maths question for all you Klever Kluger Klan:

I want to get the maximum number of kms from my set of five, so seeing as how a set of 4 provides 65,000, how many kms will 5 provide if all are rotated.

And to get that distance, how often should I rotate so that when they all come around to the start again all tyres will be worn out evenly?

If you were in Sydney I would consider it.

I most likely will go Advan's all round like the XT :)

I want to get the maximum number of kms from my set of five, so seeing as how a set of 4 provides 65,000, how many kms will 5 provide if all are rotated.

And to get that distance, how often should I rotate so that when they all come around to the start again all tyres will be worn out evenly?

I did some quick sketching up on some paper here (if I can figure out the best way to tabulate it, I'll post it), but I have calculated that if you were to do a 5 tire rotation and you were to get 65,000km out of each tire, you will be getting a full new set of tires at around 80,000km.

That was based on the following:

You rotate your tires at 10,000km intervals for the first 50,000km. After that, you rotate your tires at a 5,000km intervals after that. Otherwise, if you prefer the 5,000km rotation intervals, you can just stick to that. Now if you were to do either of those, all your 4 main tires would have travelled 65,000km, and your spare would only have done 60,000km. If you want you spare to travel the exact same distance as the others, you would be making things un-necessarily difficult for yourself (ie. you would be rotating tires at ~1,000km intervals for the sake of getting a total of 81,250km of tire life).

On a side note, at 75,000km, if you were to rotate at the intervals I mentioned above, all your tires including the spare would have travelled 60,000km.

Fantastic DJKOR, thats exactly the advice I was after, thanks.

I did some quick sketching up on some paper here (if I can figure out the best way to tabulate it, I'll post it), but I have calculated that if you were to do a 5 tire rotation and you were to get 65,000km out of each tire, you will be getting a full new set of tires at around 80,000km.

That was based on the following:

You rotate your tires at 10,000km intervals for the first 50,000km. After that, you rotate your tires at a 5,000km intervals after that. Otherwise, if you prefer the 5,000km rotation intervals, you can just stick to that. Now if you were to do either of those, all your 4 main tires would have travelled 65,000km, and your spare would only have done 60,000km. If you want you spare to travel the exact same distance as the others, you would be making things un-necessarily difficult for yourself (ie. you would be rotating tires at ~1,000km intervals for the sake of getting a total of 81,250km of tire life).

On a side note, at 75,000km, if you were to rotate at the intervals I mentioned above, all your tires including the spare would have travelled 60,000km.

I have always rotated mine (4) at 5000 kms as per the diagram in the handbook. The spare is unused, I got 28000 kms on original Toyos, 64000 kms on replacement Hankooks and I am currenttly using Hankooks which are super value for money. I have a total of 97000 kms at present and the car is running as good as when I got it new in 2005.

Roger