Help required with TRD grill

Hey all, anyone know the costs associated with getting my new TRD grill colour coded (sprayed i guess) to match my ZR6? If its going to cost too much i'd be willing to sell my thai grill and maybe even the original sportivo grill to fund it.... I've included photo's of the 2 grills i might have to sell to fund the final photo with the TRD grill (with thanks to evo for shopping it for me!!)

on another note, front and rear sway/strut bars or lowered springs first!?

please see latest post and photo's!

post-7221-1246425443_thumb.jpg

post-7221-1246425456_thumb.jpg

post-7221-1246425581_thumb.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the TRD grill that Brad! was selling eh? For painting it, you would be looking at around $50-$100 depending on who you get. I would budget around $100.

on another note, front and rear sway/strut bars or lowered springs first!?

Since you have the Sportivo, go for the rear sway bar and front strut brace first. Then if you feel like it, drop it down. That's the order I did (will do) mine in.

Got the TRD grill that Brad! was selling eh?

thanks Daryl, sure did, although I haven't got it yet always loved the "R" going through the grill mesh so i thought why the hell not? Don't know yet if i'll go for the wildfire red or just keep it black... THe front strut looks pretty easy to install, can i do the rear sway bar without lifting the car off the ground?

THe front strut looks pretty easy to install, can i do the rear sway bar without lifting the car off the ground?

You can do it without lifting the car, but it helps. I managed to just squeeze under there, so I put my rear up on jack stands to give me some more flexibility. I'd advise the same, but if your skinny enough, you can tackle it without the jack stands.

hey there! I was wondering where can I get those TRD grill? and how much is it? Any website where I can get them? I am not from

Australia by the way... so website or contact number will help a lot! :)

Same answer as Q&A number 3 on the FAQ. The grill discussed above was bought off eBay as a 'one-off' thing.

Hey guys thanks for the interest in my sportivo grill and the Thai grill ! As soon as I have the trd grill on I will post photos and take offers . Will be a week or two though

cheers

nate

Why do things never go perfectly? why is it whenever i think i'e got a dolid plan things go wrong? Need some advice people!!! My new TRD grill arrived sometime yesterday and i was very happy when i got home from work and saw the package on the doorstep... I unwrapped it slowly and stared lovingly at the R running through the wire mesh and then as i unwrapped the main piece, disaster struck! one end was broken off... Damn those bloddy couriers!! the thing was wrapped in a mile of bubble wrap so clearly they completely ignored the fragile stickers on the box!! Anyway have attached a few photo's comparing the TRD grill with the sportivo grill for you all. A few things i noticed straight away:

The TRD grill is a fair bit heavier and has different tabs (see photos) to attach the car, also the new grill doesn't come with any screws etc to fit to the car or does it come with the actual Toyota badge....

Gotta Say Brad has been very helpful and in no way does this reflect on him! We will both be contacting the company involved and will keep you all posted....

post-7221-1247017252_thumb.jpg

post-7221-1247017305_thumb.jpg

post-7221-1247017332_thumb.jpg

post-7221-1247017356_thumb.jpg

post-7221-1247017386_thumb.jpg

post-7221-1247017426_thumb.jpg

typical-not always the couriers though-may not have been packed thoroughly with the appropriate bubble wrap in the right places.

hope all goes well

cheers corey

For the record - We received the Grill via TNT in its origional box which had no bubble wrap.

I re-packed the grill and used plenty of Bubble wrap, sent it via Toll Ipec and it broke....

Its soley a courier issue.

Edited by Brad!

Just looking at it, if you get some good plastic weld you should be able to attach the tab back on with no issues. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but I remember it was this power that you mix with super glue and it bonds plastic like cement.

As for the fitment, it looks like you will have to do a little bit of some custom work. Just start by taking your current grill out and trying to fit the TRD one. That way you can get an idea of how it all lines up and what needs to be removed/added to get it to work. If it were me, I'd be using cable ties to hold the bottom half in, and then working on a solution for the top half.

thanks guys, i'll run with it and see how it goes..... give me something to do this weekend anyway. What do you think a second hand sportivo grill is worth?

i remember asking the toyota dealer how much a brand new sportivo grill would cost.. They said it'll cost $250.. So up to you..

p.s im stil interested in buying it off you.. Depending on what you want for it as well.. Lol

Edited by Stylusion

ok so I need to ask the TRD aurion owners out there a BIG favour. After having a close look as to how the TRD grill sits on the front bumper of my ZR i am pretty sure that it is notgoing to be "plug and play".

What has really got me concerned is to get it right i may have to take the front bumber off and install some sort of blocks for the new grill to sit on.. effectively screwing up from the bumper to attach little mounts which i am sure will be visible and not the finish i'm after.

I'm hoping that one of our TRD owners out there may have enough spare time to take some photos of how their grill sits on the bumper? I know its a really big ask and that it may involve taking the cover off the front of the engine bay, i just can't think of another way to see it this is going to work.....

anyone? please?

I can take some tomorrow morning if that helps.

It would be really helpful!! I am getting the grill painted this weekend (matt black) so won't be tring to refit until mid next week

many many thanks.

typical-not always the couriers though-may not have been packed thoroughly with the appropriate bubble wrap in the right places.

hope all goes well

cheers corey

For the record - We received the Grill via TNT in its origional box which had no bubble wrap.

I re-packed the grill and used plenty of Bubble wrap, sent it via Toll Ipec and it broke....

Its soley a courier issue.

wasnt having a go at ya brad-was just saying sometimes they arent packed properly,used to work as storeman and have seen this many times,but yes the typical thing i stated was meaning the couriers as they dont really care bout the products

thanks corey