VVT-i And Exuast Preasure Tech

Lupetto

First off sorry if this has allready been covered.

However,

does any one know what the deal is with backpreasure on VVT-i engines? I.e 2az-fe.

Standared Camry's ive been told are tuned to the current backpreasure of the stock exuast, Where installing a 2.5" exuast catback will cause VVT-i to kick in later (i didnt think the back preasure regulated when the ECU changes cam timing? i thought this was more on the Vtech problems where its the phisical cam that changes?)

So lets say that i go full catback exuast 2.5" with dual outlets "like Aurions have" no hot dog but just a Lukey Mufler (hot dog looks like **** on most cars and there annoyingly loud all the time)

will this cause any issues with the VVT-i?

Im heading towards the "it whont as long as you get it tuned after" answer but would love some advice.

Thanks

Your VVT-i will adjust itself around any minor changes. It is continuously variable. It never has a point where it 'kicks' in. When changing your exhaust, there's no real need to factor in the effects of the VVT-i since the changes it makes aren't quite as dramatic.

From the service manual, this explains what the VVT-i control is dependent on:

Using the engine speed, intake air volume, throttle position and water temperature, the ECM can calculate optimal valve timing for each driving condition and controls the camshaft timing oil control valve. In addition, the ECM uses signals from the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor to detect the actual valve timing, thus providing feedback control to achieve the target valve timing.

And that is the exact same variables that the dual VVT-i (intake and exhaust) relies on as well.

Once again DJKOR your a bloody legend.

Thank you for that spot of information, i now know MOREPOWA and Port Road Exuast are a bunch of twats

:)

You have saved me allot of time bro cheers