2ZZ Sportivo future classic

whitestivo

So I've been searching for a second car, and come to realise that the old AE92 and AE82 are dirt cheap.

Yet, an old Ae82GT or trueno, or MR2 are much more expensive for what I consider a similar car

So do we think that in 5-10 years time, the sportivo with it's 2zz motor will be a rarified example that will hold value?

I guess it depends on what toyota does in the meantime, but in fairness, the zre points to the future, which is pretty bleak (not point of thread so don't flame me)

What ppl think?

whitestivo

i think maybe....well from what i can gather i payed 22k for mine stock in dec 06.....now if im lucky with my mods (max 2k spent i reckon) i could prob sell for 18 or bit more....now that seems like fair depreciation for almost 3 years owning it.

Funny you made this post seriously today i was thinking the same thing as i roared along the freeway and thought to myself i think i might try to hold onto this car...no plans on selling that i can see in the future

im a yes - it may be

*especially 05 upgrades...only made for around 8-9 months :)

Edited by jaderd

i see my AE82 twincam and others in good condition etc as quite a nostalgic little piece of machinery but at the same time they are worth nothing! unless a rarity in this country such as an FXGT or what have you it's all pretty run of the mill to me but at the same time i love it! the same goes with the sx ive got but no real attachment like the 8-2. I am looking at stivo's as an upgrade very soon and i think they will sit in the same basket as predecessors. Although the same deal , ticks boxes!

Personally I don't see Sportivos as future classics, in the same way the supercharged V6 Holdens were thought to be the gun thing when they came out yet they fell well short of the mark (and in some ways the Sportivo does too), and these days they are pretty much unheard-of, and not in a good way.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

It might take 15-20 years before you get a hint of any cult following starting to build up. At any rate, they hold their value quite well compared to the other cars that cost the same price at the time they were released. Not S15 well, but quite well.

Gav.

The only way to tell is time...

SX Corollas held their value really well until only a few years ago and they slumped right down...

I just paid 18k for my Sportivo and I'm hoping it keeps its value with some decency...

They seemed to have had a bit of a resurgence of late, I'm seeing more and more good-condition ones come out of the woodwork for 5-6 grand or so. One of the main reasons we started looking at (and bought) an ST162 instead.

i dont see the zze123 being a collecters car at all, you can say the the zze123 is the sx of yester year, the sx did hold its price for a long time due to its high popularity in modifying circles and not much compatition in its class, these days we have so many fwd options avaliable to us that i cant see the zze123 getting much more than 6-10k in 10 years time. if you look at the price paid for new 03 stivos when new, a shade under 30k with out on roads, you can now pick up stivos for under 15k and dropping

we'll c wat comes of the blue bombshell if i hang onto it 4 that long ........ then again it is a 1 of a kind ;) ;) ;)

Not a future classic sorry to say. No newly released cars will become a classic anymore IMO.

Also, off topic, but the girls of Benfica look like men.

anyone know how many sportivos were sold

The figure that gets thrown about (I suspect it originated from Bill somehow) was about 3400

From the ecu replacement stats roughly 1500 needed to be replaced and i had heard that roughly a little more facelifts were sold ...... its def under the 5000 mark.