Fuel injection clean

Taka

I just had a 40000km in a Melbourne dealer.

It is the 2nd time I was asked to to the EFI clean for $200 (I think)... their reasoning has been 1) it is something routinely should be done to keep the car running smoothly.. or 2) there has been a batch of bad fuel lately. (hmmm.....)

It is the 2nd time I refused to do it?

Am I smart or foolish. I am tempted to buy a $25 bottle of fuel cleaner though :unsure:

Please Discuss. (but keep your tone down haha)

I bought a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner for $8. For that price, what do you have to lose? If you get it, make sure you put it in with a quarter of a tank or less so its potent. In my opinion, $100 rip off, $8 worth a shot..

Fuel Doctor is very good especially if you get a suspect tank of fuel. Also the Toyota brand of injector cleaner is very good from what I have heard.

Otherwise just use a tank of premium fuel once a month as they have the extra additives and cleaners.

Edited by SupaTouring

Fuel Doctor is very good especially if you get a suspect tank of fuel. Also the Toyota brand of injector cleaner is very good from what I have heard.

Otherwise just use a tank of premium fuel once a month as they have the extra additives and cleaners.

:yahoo: Guys, guys, just put a tankful of 98 premium unleaded through every 6th tank or so to do the same job. Cleaning injectors after 20Ks is bull**** unless you are out in the scrub using poor quality fuel.

Wish you had created this thread last week prior to my 40K service. :angry: The Dealer actually called me during the day suggesting this extra fuel injector service - it makes you feel as if they have found something which requires this special clean. I had even said to them over the phone that I only ever use premium unleaded however they still insisted that I should have this special service. Very unhappy - I've been had, it seems.

How much did they charge you for the clean??

You can get your injectors ultrasonically cleaned for about $20-25/injector, but honestly your fuel filter would of removed most of the nasties before going through to the injectors....

Wish you had created this thread last week prior to my 40K service. :angry: The Dealer actually called me during the day suggesting this extra fuel injector service - it makes you feel as if they have found something which requires this special clean. I had even said to them over the phone that I only ever use premium unleaded however they still insisted that I should have this special service. Very unhappy - I've been had, it seems.

Another typical money generating excercise by Toyota dealers.

BTW, this topic has been discussed before (see this thread).

This is an easy way for the dealers to make a few extra bucks , just like the 'your throttle body needs a clean' extra $100 or so ...

If an injector is blocked the motor will be running pretty lean & rough

It's not the dealer that sells these products, it's an outside company which sells it's products thru the dealership...

Fortron sells their Injection Cleaners, Throttle Body Cleaners and Air Conditioning Cleaners and so on...

Their products are designed to be used regularly to stop deposits building up inside the throttle body, intake manifold and injectors...

Alternatively, when your injectors need doing, you can get them flow cleaned and tested for around $25 each - But that could be 200,000kms away...