If you are looking for a HU.......

Alfred Q

Just curious, how responsive are these units? I have to admit, I've been holding off on buying an Auspack/one of these purely because I don't want something where I'll touch the screen and something happens 10 second later.

So hows it perform? I really don't want to be fussing over something sluggish while driving.

Hi

Its really a great unit for the price. I bought mine 2 weeks ago and its going good. have not had any problems with it. The touch screen is good or if you wanna call it responsive - I dint realise any delays in the functioning of the unit. USB drive is the qickest one to pick up data after the radio.

if you go buy the unit - Susan's voice is text to speech (TTS) i.e. it says street names. It took some time for me to get it. However, if i look back it was common sense - it says TTS next to her name from where one can select different voices. (duh)

DJKOR - mate, I tried to update the software from the link - but it did not run on the GPS - I tried everything (in my capacity) I even bought a new card - it reads it but does not automatically act like the original one. The original SD car shows 2 folders (GPS LOG and R15 maps for PNA - this has iGo8 folder in it and other data) Let me know what else can i do.

Hi there!

As DJKOR mentioned already. The sys.txt file is looking for this

[folders]

app="%SDCARD%/iGO8"

If you have a different folder or name you must change this accordingly!

All the best

Alfred

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just curious to know if this system runs a dvd in the background of say the gps or if the radio runs in the background, correct me if im wrong but the auspack unit does this. also what is the screen resolution and pixels? on the website it says hi-res but doesn't give any details?

thanks fellas

The OziExplorerCE version I am successfully is 2.31.

To use it with your unit you have to first of all install OziExplorerCE and

maps onto the memory card.

Install the card back into the unit and check to see if it goes to the IGO8

navigation Program.

In map mode select the "Menu" at the bottom right hand side of screen.

You are now in the "Navigation Menu" screen.

Select "Exit" at bottom right hand side of screen and on screen display asks

"Are you sure you want to exit program?"

Select "Exit" and you should be at "Navi & Option screen". Push "Option" and

it will then go to a screen showing "Calibrate & Navipath".

Push "Navipath" and you will the Mini SD card's contents in a "file tree"

view.

Select the + sign next to OziExplorer file. "file tree" will change.

Select the OziExplorerCE.EXE file and it will then appear the top of screen

black window.

Tick the "Autorun" box and use the "blue back indicator arrow" next to that

and it will take you back to the "Calibrate & Navipath" window.

Push that same arrow again and it will take you back to the "Navi & Option"

screen and select "Navi" and OziExplorerCE will run.

To go back to the IGO8 software, select "File" in Oziexplorer menu and

"Quit".

Unit will then go to "Navi & Option" window.

Select "Option"

Select "Navipath"

Select +next to Map

Select + next to Igo8 Australia PNA withR15 Map

Select + next to igo8 Australia PNA version with R15 Map

Select + next to ig08

Select igo8.exe

Check that it appears in the black window at top of screen.

Tick "Autorun" box and use the "blue back indicator arrow" next that and it

will take you back to the "Calibrate & Navipath" window.

Push that same arrow again and it will take you back to the "Navi & Options"

screen and select "Navi" and Igo8 will run.

Sounds hard but it isn't really, once you've done it a few times.

Probably could simplify the tree for Igo8 and it would be simpler.

Let me know how you go.

just curious to know if this system runs a dvd in the background of say the gps or if the radio runs in the background, correct me if im wrong but the auspack unit does this. also what is the screen resolution and pixels? on the website it says hi-res but doesn't give any details?

thanks fellas

Hi There!

If you connect the DVD to the handbreak it will not work when driving, I linked it to the case so it works regardles of the handbrake setting.

Yes, you can run whatever you want in the background and have the Navsystem running in the foreground. It will only take precedence of the sound system if the Navsystem issues a direction or warning. To do that you have to keep the band button pressed for about 1 or 2 seconds.

Screen resolution is 480x234.

Hope this is of assistance!

Regards

Alfred

The OziExplorerCE version I am successfully is 2.31.

To use it with your unit you have to first of all install OziExplorerCE and

maps onto the memory card.

Install the card back into the unit and check to see if it goes to the IGO8

navigation Program.

In map mode select the "Menu" at the bottom right hand side of screen.

You are now in the "Navigation Menu" screen.

Select "Exit" at bottom right hand side of screen and on screen display asks

"Are you sure you want to exit program?"

Select "Exit" and you should be at "Navi & Option screen". Push "Option" and

it will then go to a screen showing "Calibrate & Navipath".

Push "Navipath" and you will the Mini SD card's contents in a "file tree"

view.

Select the + sign next to OziExplorer file. "file tree" will change.

Select the OziExplorerCE.EXE file and it will then appear the top of screen

black window.

Tick the "Autorun" box and use the "blue back indicator arrow" next to that

and it will take you back to the "Calibrate & Navipath" window.

Push that same arrow again and it will take you back to the "Navi & Option"

screen and select "Navi" and OziExplorerCE will run.

To go back to the IGO8 software, select "File" in Oziexplorer menu and

"Quit".

Unit will then go to "Navi & Option" window.

Select "Option"

Select "Navipath"

Select +next to Map

Select + next to Igo8 Australia PNA withR15 Map

Select + next to igo8 Australia PNA version with R15 Map

Select + next to ig08

Select igo8.exe

Check that it appears in the black window at top of screen.

Tick "Autorun" box and use the "blue back indicator arrow" next that and it

will take you back to the "Calibrate & Navipath" window.

Push that same arrow again and it will take you back to the "Navi & Options"

screen and select "Navi" and Igo8 will run.

Sounds hard but it isn't really, once you've done it a few times.

Probably could simplify the tree for Igo8 and it would be simpler.

Let me know how you go.

HI,

Just wondering why you'd run OziExplorer in a road car. I run it in my Landcruiser for the topo maps I have, but hadn't considered running it in the Aurion,

regards

Andrew

ahhh thanks heaps, and i'm no tech guru so i researched and found that 480x234 is the same as saying 1440x234. just that one takes into acount the group of 3 colours and the other doesnt. hmmm auspack is trying funny games. but thanks anyways Alfred Q, you got me getting more n more excited about this machine.

oo and one last question (hopefully) hehe, the auspack unit's user interface can be modded if you have the smarts, any idea if they run the same sort of processor/firmware as to use the same mod software?

sorry if this is going a little deep but you never know if you never ask and everyone here is so friendly.

thanks again

fellas no idea if you have seen this but an ebay company metroholdings singapore are listing a product identical to the dig options and auspack unit but it has an 8.2" screen. only downside its $999 U.S plus $247U.S shipping!

thought you all might like to investigate

ahhh thanks heaps, and i'm no tech guru so i researched and found that 480x234 is the same as saying 1440x234. just that one takes into acount the group of 3 colours and the other doesnt. hmmm auspack is trying funny games. but thanks anyways Alfred Q, you got me getting more n more excited about this machine.

oo and one last question (hopefully) hehe, the auspack unit's user interface can be modded if you have the smarts, any idea if they run the same sort of processor/firmware as to use the same mod software?

sorry if this is going a little deep but you never know if you never ask and everyone here is so friendly.

thanks again

I am not sure but you could probably fire an e-mail to Matt from DIGOPTIONS to find out.

digoptions@gmail.com

I actualy like the interface the way it is (except the i-pod interface) so I never investigated that aspect of it. I modded the Nav unit heavily with the latest upgrade to the maps and IGO8.

Concerning your follow on mail concerning the bigger screen I am sorry to say I did not find the unit you mentioned BUT I found this one very easy to read and good value for money. The one you mentioned is at least twice as expensive for a slightly bigger screen.....not sure I need it, this one is very easy on the eyes and big enough for me.

I will continue to investigate though.

Ahh, and you are welcome, I am glad this is of help and interest to you!

Kind Regards

Alfred

direct link

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/2007-2008-2009-TOYO...34.c0.m14.l1262

not sure how long it will be at that location

happy surfing!

Thanks for the link!

It looks like a neat unit BUT for almost 3xtimes the cost of the DIGOPTIONS unit I can not see the same "value for money".

For that amount I would probably go for a car PC unit instead. But even than I doubt that the "value for money" equation will be the same.

Keep us posted which option you are going to take and how it works out!

Regards

Alfred

well im definately not going for the 8.2" just like you said, not value for money maybe if it was a hundred or so more then its a definate possibility considering the auspack unit would still be more expensive. but im super keen for the digoptions unit. will keep you posted

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CAR-DVD-RADIO-GPS-2...id=p3286.c0.m14

A hong kong based company selling the auspack unit for $599AUD + Free shipping includes all gps software(igo,tomtom,finean,routee66 etc.). Whoah! Crazy!

Now that sounds like a good deal!

I actually have seen that one when I was doing my research. As a matter of fact I was only a whisker away of going for that one.

The thing that persueded me to stick with DigOption was..

1) The price difference was very little

2) I liked dealing with an Australian company (in case of warranty issues)

3) I prefered the looks of the interface from DIGIOPTIONS better (Personal opinion & taste of course)

Great research!!

Well done and all the best

Alfred

How does this unit listen to mp3s from dvd while viewing the navigation screen--I've tried every way but can't get it to do this

Any help would be appreciated :whistling:

Hi kooldude!

You have to keep the right bottom button pressed until the screen switches to the Navscreen. I believe it is the "Band" button.

You will continue to hear the sound of whatever you where listening to. The only time you will loose your sound is when the GPS gives instructions or warnings (you can mute that feature though)

Hope this is of help

Regards

Alfred

• 2 weeks later...

New unit spotted on Ebay, seems to have a very nice GUI, and all the usual features to boot, good price around $550 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-CAMRY-AURION...id=p3286.c0.m14

Im seriously considering selling my factory satnav unit and changing to one of these, as the only thing holding me back before was the somewhat cheap looking GUI all the other aftermarket units seem to have. Anyone seen or used this particular type before?

post-13080-1253433269_thumb.jpg

New unit spotted on Ebay, seems to have a very nice GUI, and all the usual features to boot, good price around $550 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-CAMRY-AURION...id=p3286.c0.m14

Im seriously considering selling my factory satnav unit and changing to one of these, as the only thing holding me back before was the somewhat cheap looking GUI all the other aftermarket units seem to have. Anyone seen or used this particular type before?

Hi Steven!

Looks like a neat unit, but why would you replace the factory one though? What feature is it you are after?

If you like a nice interface, have a look at the pictures in the first post. I posted them a little while ago as an alternativ for people to the Auspack unit (There is a great write up from DJKOR about that one, VERY HELPFUL)! I liked this one because of 3 reasons

1) Great looking interface (nicer than the one you found IN MY OPINION ONLY)

2) Great Price

3) Australian company with great service!

Good luck with whatever decision you make and if you need further feedback let me know!

Regards

Alfred

the factory unit is nice, but having to spend $$$ to get new maps when they're released (which is not very frequent), or around $500 just to plug my ipod in for the adapter, as well as many other limitations of the factory unit have me thinking for something different. It's a very nice unit from the factory don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't compare to even the most basic aftermarket unit in terms of features.

As far as GUI goes it's all down to personal preference, I doubt there is much of difference functionality wise between all these units.

You're definitely right about dealing with Aussie sellers in terms of supporting locals and warranty, I find though with alot of new products, they tend to first appear on Ebay from a chinese seller, and then shortly lately you'll find local sellers stocking it.

the factory unit is nice, but having to spend $$$ to get new maps when they're released (which is not very frequent), or around $500 just to plug my ipod in for the adapter, as well as many other limitations of the factory unit have me thinking for something different. It's a very nice unit from the factory don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't compare to even the most basic aftermarket unit in terms of features.

As far as GUI goes it's all down to personal preference, I doubt there is much of difference functionality wise between all these units.

You're definitely right about dealing with Aussie sellers in terms of supporting locals and warranty, I find though with alot of new products, they tend to first appear on Ebay from a chinese seller, and then shortly lately you'll find local sellers stocking it.

Hi Steven!

Interesting what you have to say about the factory unit (I have the ATX). If you read this thread you can see that there are quit a few sattisfied people around. I agree with your assesment on how e-bay works, as a matter of fact the DIG OPTION unit is a chinese unit as well.

Keep us posted of which unit you decide on and leave some fedback!

Kind Regards

Alfred

looks great, maybe you can make a little video like djkor did on his unit?

to see what its like, would be great!

Hi ApBPaul!

I am pretty hopeless when it comes to making videos and especialy uploading them.

I will try to get something done but it may be a few days.

After looking at DJKOR's video again I can tell you that they are ery much the same (the only thing I did not notice was the delay on using the bluetooth function and the "forget the last position" problem)

If you need pictures though, I can help you with them for sure!

Regards

Alfred

any chance of anyone on brisbane's northside with an aftermarket unit (of the stock dropin type) being able to show me it in person? I'd like to see one operating in person before I make any final decisions.

I actualy like the interface the way it is (except the i-pod interface) so I never investigated that aspect of it.

What about the i-pod interface is not to your liking? this would be a major reason for me to get one, the ipod interface.

Edited by zxc33