Throttle Body Bypass

httttt

Hey all, I am looking into doing the TB bypass on my Aurion possibly tomorrow. I have read up on quite a few place regarding it and I am convinced it is something I want to do. but........

Has anyone had any experience doing it on a 2GR-FE?

If so, is there anything weird and wonderful I might need to know about? And.... Having done the mod, would you recommend others bother doing it?

The coolant bypass is extremely easy to do on the Aurion. It's like a 2 minute job. No need to join anything, just disconnect one end of each hose and loop them around.

Absolutely no performance gain though if that's what you're thinking. Made a big change to the temperature of the throttle body itself. Prior to the bypass, after a long drive the TB was too hot to touch. After the bypass, it is only just warm to touch.

I would have taken photos for you, but in in Victoria right now.

All that said, it's not really worth doing since it provides no gain. I only find it useful because I clean out my engine bay weekly and it's one less hot thing to worry about. Also makes it easier to clean the throttle body.

The coolant bypass is extremely easy to do on the Aurion. It's like a 2 minute job. No need to join anything, just disconnect one end of each hose and loop them around.

Absolutely no performance gain though if that's what you're thinking. Made a big change to the temperature of the throttle body itself. Prior to the bypass, after a long drive the TB was too hot to touch. After the bypass, it is only just warm to touch.

I would have taken photos for you, but in in Victoria right now.

All that said, it's not really worth doing since it provides no gain. I only find it useful because I clean out my engine bay weekly and it's one less hot thing to worry about. Also makes it easier to clean the throttle body.

Cheers DJ.

Sounds easy................... We'll see if a computer manager can pull it off (having never even known what a throttle body was or looked like)

post-14100-1250658634_thumb.jpg

Why is everybody so interested in bypassing things anyhow? Isnt it a pretty good package how it is? I dont see why doing such tiny minuscle mods is important in the slightest if its not going to make some extreme drastic change in the performance of the vehicle such as bolt on's like coil overs and braces exhausts etc. Honestly the Aurion is a fast car stiffen the SUS right up and give it a nice exhaust the firmer ride and placebo echaust note will trick your brain and it will feel oh so much faster. Stop messing with toyota's hard work on the engine and make it handle better !!!

Why is everybody so interested in bypassing things anyhow? Isnt it a pretty good package how it is? I dont see why doing such tiny minuscle mods is important in the slightest if its not going to make some extreme drastic change in the performance of the vehicle such as bolt on's like coil overs and braces exhausts etc. Honestly the Aurion is a fast car stiffen the SUS right up and give it a nice exhaust the firmer ride and placebo echaust note will trick your brain and it will feel oh so much faster. Stop messing with toyota's hard work on the engine and make it handle better !!!

Funnily enough I came on the forum to post that I really couldnt be F'd doing this mod anymore. I'm not a mechanic or a race car driver :lol: All that matter is that I enjoy what I drive.

I too am a fan of the stock, stealth factor. The Aurion is a quick street car, but goes mostly unnoticed and underrated by other drivers out there. The result, in stock form, is a car that isn't going to get every boy racer out there wanting to challenge you, and yet perfectly capable of blowing the doors off most competition should the need arise.

I always maintain though, each to their own. It's your car afterall

Edited by Steven

Naturally i agree each to their own however if you are going to do something do it right spend some real dollars and get some real gains i always say. I've owned a plethora of tuner cars over the last 15 years from subaru STI's through to skylines even an old starion and all those cars had the ability to do "Tweaks" and gain power. The Aurion realistically thanks to its DBW throttle and "Smart" ECU doesnt effictivley lend itself to tweaks it does however from the thigns i'm notcing now thanks to money spent on good quality suspension etc lend itself to handling improvment. If you want a blast your rear off 1/4 mile buy a nitrous kit or buy the TRD. Otherwise respect it for what it is a good fun relativley quick car that you can chuck the kids and dog in the back of if you need to or take to the track and just get an ever widening smile as you nail it out of corners.

To be fair..... I wasnt looking for any performance increases, I was just itching to do some mods my self. I decided not to do it because any benefits (performance or longevity of the Throttle body) are all hearsay.

I agree with your last post Wildfire, you summed it up perfectly.

Edited by Hidden Taco

WildfireATX... you summed up everything exactly.

That said, I still choose to keep my intake resonators and control butterfly valve bypassed. It's most likely all down to the driving itself, but if I run similar times to Rowan when he is running an SRI when others are getting higher times, I'm going to naturally leave any changes I've made.

As for the TB bypass, that was based on my cleaning obsession plus the fact with the alloy pipe replacing my upper resonator, it is actually cooler to touch with the TB coolant bypass.

The way I see it.... someone has to do it to prove that it doesn't work. I am sick of hearing people doing things to their car and saying that their car responds better and feels faster etc, when in actual fact, it is exactly the same.

WildfireATX... you summed up everything exactly.

That said, I still choose to keep my intake resonators and control butterfly valve bypassed. It's most likely all down to the driving itself, but if I run similar times to Rowan when he is running an SRI when others are getting higher times, I'm going to naturally leave any changes I've made.

As for the TB bypass, that was based on my cleaning obsession plus the fact with the alloy pipe replacing my upper resonator, it is actually cooler to touch with the TB coolant bypass.

The way I see it.... someone has to do it to prove that it doesn't work. I am sick of hearing people doing things to their car and saying that their car responds better and feels faster etc, when in actual fact, it is exactly the same.

The good old bum dyno never lies, what are you talking about? :P

I'd always imagined having the coolant flowing through the TB was to assist with fuel vaporisation as the car warms up? If that is the case, I would imagine it is beneficial during car startup, but become a hindrance when the car is warm - as it is just heating up the air entering the engine through the ambient TB heat...

Maybe something that would work better is a solenoid valve that shuts the flow through the TB as the car warms up?

I think with the massive budget toyota has for R&D they probably would have done that if they thought it would impact the car. But as standard it seems to work pretty good does ti really need anyhting done? Come on people toyota aren't thick if it needed fixing toyota would have done it before they put it on the car.

LEAVE IT ALONE

I think with the massive budget toyota has for R&D they probably would have done that if they thought it would impact the car. But as standard it seems to work pretty good does ti really need anyhting done? Come on people toyota aren't thick if it needed fixing toyota would have done it before they put it on the car.

LEAVE IT ALONE

One thing you need to remember though is that even though they have the facilites to be able to go through R&D fully, they also need to factor more than just performance alone into the design. Making a car such as this which can be sold in many markets each with varying conditions, the car needs to be made as a once size fits all. That means that if this car is sold to a market which can experience freezing cold temperatures, then they need to ensure that the throttle body receives a supply of coolant so that it does not freeze over. Even if such a design factor takes a slight bit of performance out of the equation (in this case, nothing... but still), then they have to do what they have to do.

Another reason why I prefer to have my throttle body coolant bypassed anyways is because I don't like the amount of heat that accumulates in the throttle body which then transfers over to the DBW servo motor. Even though it would be designed to handle such temperatures, I feel more comfortable if it stayed cooler rather than hotter. This is more of a personal thing because I have had many electric motors live a shortened life due to excessive heat.