Ford forum

Glug

Found a ford forum talking about Klugers and how MUCH better the territory was, just had to laugh.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11253802

To start with, I quite like the territory, I have driven them many times and they have a lot going for them: looks good, tows well, is a nice size family car, a proven proformer, but........

IMO the kluger has: much better 4wd capablities (in the awd), more internal room, much more power (not counting the turbo), much better fuel eccon (especially counting the turbo), much, much, much better safty features, I think it tows better (IMO), is much faster (thanks rice racing), I consider its handling is better, better level of build and finish (but mines a grande) and to my mind is a better car to drive.

These are the things that lead me to buy a Kluger over a Ford Territory.

Oh, and they laughed about the Wheels driver who put a Kluger on its side and I'll say again; you drive poorly/badly this sort of thing will happen. He actually used the same method stunt drivers use for roll overs in movies.

Just my two cents worth

Edited by Glug

I was a member of that forum for a while when I had my heart set on a Terri Turbo Ghia. That was before I test drove the Kluger... Sure the Terri had some positives over the Kluger, but also a lot of negatives and questionable longevity of certain components (in particular brakes and suspension).

I think I made the right choice with the Kluger - no regrets whatsoever!!

You're always going to find people out there knocking the competitor...whatever it is.

I guess it's no different to the people here who knock the Territory.

Unfortunately, there is no perfect car and they ALL have their drawbacks. Depending on your own personal biases, tastes and knowledge, you will prefer one over the other.

I too was very eager to get a Territory (until, like many, I jumped inside a Kluger and took one for a test drive).

The Kluger isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a good solid SUV, and it appeals to my taste much more than the Territory does....which is why I am looking at purchasing one in the near future.

For those that prefer the Territory, good luck to them.

To post on a forum using misinformation and inappropriate advice is just stupid.

It's fine to have your own opinion but when people blatantly go beyond that and criticise just for the sake of putting down the other side is pointless.

I choose to ignore people like this and make up my own mind.

Oh, and they laughed about the Wheels driver who put a Kluger on its side and I'll say again; you drive poorly/badly this sort of thing will happen. He actually used the same method stunt drivers use for roll overs in movies.

Just my two cents worth

I thought that test was supposed to test the stability control, so although they were deliberatly trying to roll it, it shouldn't have rolled had it worked properly. They did the same test on the Territory and it didn't roll. Of course all SUVs will have a tendency to roll more than a sedan or station wagon. The higher the centre of gravity the worse it will be. I think the Kluger just has a higher centre of gravity or perhaps slightly narrower width. Better for off road but worse on road. That said, I thought the Kluger handled better than the Tribeca and Murano that I test drove though I didn't try to roll them.

Edited by Colonel

Well I've had a Territory TS AWD & now Kluger Alt AWD .. No fancy tests but here's my 2bobs

From my perspective as a driver on weekends & holidays (Mrs's is main driver)

- Kluger interior layout is much better & feels roomier , especially if u use the 3rd row. But specs show kluger is smaller?

- the territory is a hassle pulling out 3rd row whereas Kluger is dead easy.

- Kluger is quicker on take off & better on fuel..

- I used to tow a 18' boat which the terrirtory did nice & easy, I havn't yet tried with kluger but I have a feeling won't be as good at terrirtoy..

- Have had no mechanical issues at all with Kluger.. Terrirtoy at 60000klm transmission hose in radiator ruptured cause $4000 damage, other than that no real issues.

- Overall finish on Kluger is nicer, even closing door sounds more solid .. although things on Kluger like the the cigarette lighter socket next to the gear selector is flimsy, when I unplug tomtom feels like the whole centre console is going to come with it ..

Oh & Kluger has a clock that can actually be seen (Terrirtoy owners will know what I'm talking about..)

That's all I can think of right now

I too flirted with a "Terri", but opted for a Kluger for most of the reasons mentioned already.

I did cruise the Ford Forum for research, and the one thing i did notice was the tendency to bash/bad mouth anything that wasn't a Territory, in particular the Kluger.

It's good to see on this forum a generally balanced approach. I notice in the preceding posts no-one has bad mouthed a Territory, simply stated that the car didn't suit them, that's why I like to visit back here.

(that Wheels mag thing certainly generates debate/discussion!!)

I was a member of that forum for a while when I had my heart set on a Terri Turbo Ghia. That was before I test drove the Kluger... Sure the Terri had some positives over the Kluger, but also a lot of negatives and questionable longevity of certain components (in particular brakes and suspension).

I think I made the right choice with the Kluger - no regrets whatsoever!!

Now where have I heard this before?

Just spoke to a customer who had his pride and joy territory in our work shop over 2 years ago, I asked him how his Territory was going...His words were its the BIGGEST $HIP BOX I have ever had you will see it on the news soon! Then he went on about the the crap dangerous brakes, poor finish and something about having to remove the engine to remove Rust!

I should not have asked :(

SAME NO regrets whats so ever...We do need a new windscreen.....darn country foke! :)

I still like the TTG though B)

still like the TTG though B)

A TRD supercharged Kluger and Turbo-diesel version would round out the range nicely B)

I agree ;) the oiler I can do with out though!

Edited by PC XT

would Toyota even consider a diesel option...one would assume that once the Territory lands with a diesel....Toyota will do something, its not as if they have a shortage of diesel egines to choose from

Funnily enough, one of the workshop mechanics/leading hands at my old job upgraded from a VS Clubsport (and a minter at that) to a bog-standard Territory and says that there was a world of difference (with the Territory being almost as fast and much more comfortable).

Must make a Commodore that much worse then if the Territory is so crap in comparison to a Kluger.

I would not say the Terri is crap compared to the Kluger. IMO the Territory was actually a nicer "drive" especially the TTG, but the Kluger made up for it in other areas so I was willing to forsake a little bit of driving experience for a better (and more reliable) overall package :)

would Toyota even consider a diesel option...one would assume that once the Territory lands with a diesel....Toyota will do something, its not as if they have a shortage of diesel egines to choose from

If anything Toyota might release the hybrid Kluger here as they already have in the US. I wouldn't mind a turbo on the 3.5L V6 but it's not worth it considering the cost. After spending money on a turbo it probalby just makes your Kluger worth less. I'm thinking might get an old MR2 or Celica for fun (if I ever sell my motorbike).