EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER

Hi guys,

After much personal debate on whether otr not to keep the stive (now that i have a company car and only do about 20ks a week in the rolla) ive decided to keep it and start the mods.

Ive been doing a fair bit of reading up and have come up with adding an Eaton M62 supercharger as fitted to the Lotus.

What i need from you guys is some direction if this is possible in the stivo or any other help you can provide.

Cheers

Pecker

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eaton M62 is fitted to '98 to '03(Europe) Mercedes SLK230Kompressor(CL203), C230Kompressor(R170). Merc ones if i remember correcty has an EM clutch pulley, activated by the ECU when boost is needed. and also disengaged at higher RPM for AMG versions for durability reasons.

hope this helps if u are not planning on getting a brand new unit. i don't see why this is not possible with the right amount of money, time and effort. i might also suggest getting powerFC to work on our cars.

I'd recommend a MoTeC to control it, but I guess at the end of the day it's a personal thing, SPEED (20, MAY '05) has a good review on aftermarket ECU's and piggybacks if you want to give it a read.

word of advice, with money you can do anything with a car, realy there is no limitations, but sometimes specially with new rollas supercharging and turbo is really pricy, better of gettin a stock turbo car such a a rex. wait a few years rollas will cheaper to add induction too, and also warranty should be finsihed ..

word of advice, with money you can do anything with a car, realy there is no limitations, but sometimes specially with new rollas supercharging and turbo is really pricy, better of gettin a stock turbo car such a a rex. wait a few years rollas will cheaper to add induction too, and also warranty should be finsihed ..

REX, yeah get a Rex man, they are fully sick bro with a big a55'd turbo and a big a55'd intercooler and some 18's and bro, don't forget the system...oohhh man, yougot to get 2 fully pumpin 15's man and a fully sik set of flashin neons... :P

REX, yeah get a Rex man, they are fully sick bro with a big a55'd turbo and a big a55'd intercooler and some 18's and bro, don't forget the system...oohhh man, yougot to get 2 fully pumpin 15's man and a fully sik set of flashin neons... :P

you fogot one thing man, you forgot to say blow off valve haah, you want to try to turn heads from the noise dont u

If the Eaton is what Lotus are fitting to the new Exige's, then why not get the same "T4" engine management system they use?

I'm REALLY looking forward to how your conversion works out - this is my ultimate dream for my car too.

Oh, and I'd seriously consider an upgrade to the clutch, flywheel and definitely an LSD too.

Here's a pic:

2005-Lotus-Sport-Exige-240R-Engine-1280x960.jpg

Edited by oz_viking

Found some more info:

The supercharged engine in the Lotus Sport Exige 240R has a maximum power output of 243 hp (181 kW, 246.8 PS) at 8000 rpm and a torque figure of 174 lbft (236 Nm, 24 kgm) at 7000 rpm. This vast amount of extra power and torque now available means that the cam change between the low-speed cam and the high-speed cam now takes place at around 4000 rpm giving a smooth and linear surge of power from 4000 rpm all the way to the maximum 8500 rpm. The equivalent power output of a standard 3.0 litre engine was the target when the initial research and feasibility study got underway in the Autumn of 2004. Working closely with Lotus Engineering’s world leading Powertrain Research Team, the advanced 1.8 litre VVTL-i 2ZZ-GE engine was fitted with a supercharger and intercooler system.

Engine Down-Sizing is the Key

Lotus is one of the first organisations to not only recognise the changing market and legislative demands but also to actually develop a solution to the problem – supercharging a high compression ratio and high speed engine. Lotus Sport and Lotus Engineering had to ensure that there were minimal changes to the base 2ZZ-GE engine, which arrives fully dressed from Toyota for the Exige and the Elise 111R. The lightweight 2ZZ-GE engine, with a compact metal matrix composite alloy cylinder block, is a perfect unit on which to conduct the necessary research, as it runs to a high 8500 rpm, with a very high compression ratio of 11.5:1. The only changes needed to be made to the engine were the addition of a low pressure Eaton M62 Supercharger (and the longer drive belt that this requires), the intercooler and a new intake manifold, plenum and induction system.

The Roots-type Eaton M62 supercharger (with a sealed-for-life internal mechanism meaning that it does not require the use of the engine’s oil) is run from the crankshaft, and has an integral bypass valve for part load operation. Charge air (air under pressure from the supercharger) is cooled through a Lotus Sport Air to Air intercooler (the cooling air enters via the roof scoop) before being fed into the engine itself.

All charge air ducting has been kept as short as possible with large diameter pipes making sure that the bends in these ducts are not too tight, to the benefit of throttle response and efficiency.

Extra Functions for the Lotus T4 Engine Management System.

The Lotus T4 Engine Management system was developed for the Elise 111R and the Exige and is used again in the Lotus Sport Exige 240R. This engine management system has been reprogrammed to optimise the supercharged engine with two additional functions of controlling a fifth injector (located downstream of the intercooler to add additional fuel flow under hard acceleration or high speed driving) and to control the bypass valve.

thanks for your help guys....

Ahh the shiny blue superchaarged 2zz....

Grlimlock: Didnt u supercharge your car or am i dreaming...

Also anyone have any idea who could make up the intake manifold and how much this would cost aprox?

if i'm not wrong, if u go with a roots-type supercharger, the intake manifold is part of the compressor coz the air actually gets charged/pressurised outside the compressor, in the plenum. essentially, the roots-type is more like an air pump.

unless u go with centrifugal ones which is basically a belt-driven turbo, the air gets charged inside the compressor unit itself. so costs might vary depending on ya setup.

Edited by shaohaok

Grimlock has a 1zz-fe sedan.

By the look of the picture above, if you get your hands on the Lotus set up Pecker, the only thing that you'll have to get customised is the placement and ducting for an intercooler (Nice and low In front of your radiator so it picks up the air entering the lower grill) and the CAI pick up point. Once your standard intake manifold is removed, the supercharger should bolt right into place.

I'd go for Rotrex centrifugal. Install is far easier, it has been done, plus when you decide to upgrade internals the blower is capable od 300 hp. Eaton wouldn't cope.

Here is a text and pisc from a british owner:

This is my post from the centrifgal chargers thread, I am reposting it here as some seem to have missed it completely. Please read this through and think about it, then if you need any further info, give me a shout at simon@mygto.co.uk info and advice is free and I would love to see people making these themselves rather than paying through the nose for someone else to sell them my work.

Note: If nyone is stuck getting brackets made, I can sort this out, if I get numbers I will get a cost price, no problem at all, basring in mind I usually pay about £10 a piece for em.

ok, Im going to post up how to do this here as I dont want to have to give the same info over and over, if anyone has specifics then email me direct at simon@mygto.co.uk

bracket, made from 8mm 304 grade stainless steel, I have these laser cut, drawing is here in autocad format www.mygto.co.uk/celica/gen7Brkt.dwg. You will note that there are a couple of holes missing for mounting bolts, its easier to spot them through on the car than it is to transfer them to the drawing, im not that good with Autocad , this drawing has been used to produce all the brackets on the four setups I have sold/completed.

On the 190 you may need to remove some of the alternator mounting bracket which is used in europe to mount up the EGR crap, just bin all that and grind away the excess material, easy job.

on both cars the aircon pipes require modification, one can be moved by hand (gently please) the other will need to be cut and welded, its very self explanatory when your fitting the SC, I was looking into producing replacement modified pipes but removing it requires that you take out almost everything from the drivers side (UK) of the car, PITA, so weld in situ, make sure you remove the valve first as it has a rubber seal which will melt, keep the joint to the rubber pipe cold with water or it will also melt, remember, ally transfers heat like a good un.

intercooler, I used an item off the shelf here i the UK, no need to go mental on the size, the Rotrex doesnt get that hot so you dont need a big unit like you would on a turbo. mount this as close as possible to the aircon condensor, not touching but damn close. You will have to move the silly power steering cooler bar thing, I replaced mine with a miniature oil/air cooler, although I ran it on track for a good few sessions without any cooler at all with no ill side effects.

rotrex SC - I used the SP30-94, they have discontinued this and are now using the C38 range, contact them directly and ask for the new equivalent, I am certain the mounting and body sizes are the same so the bracket will still work. The crank pulley is 127mm, do th math to get the SC pulley diameter. Get an oil cooler with the SC, it'll come with the right fittings etc and will help the SC last longer, mount this up in the drivers wheel arch.

idler pulley, you will need an idler pulley to tension up the belt and run it round all the pulleys correctly, I used a PBT8022 from a UK supplier, the part number will most likely mean nothing to anyone else but I do know it was off a toyota of some description. it doesnt need to be adjustable, just a bolt through the middle, spaced off the bracket about 1mm and the same width as the PK6 belt.

drive belt, hmmm cant for the life of me remember the length of this, its a stock item off the shelf PK6 belt though so you shouldnt have too many issues getting one.

Fuel system, dont muck about with this one, fit yourself a ne wpump, 255lph is just dandy, dont muck about with the 3bar pop valve in the tank, your only uprating the pump to maintain flow. Injectors, I used 440cc on the kits, my 140 ran 550cc but then it was about 300bhp to the wheelies, go with the 440cc injectors on either car, the 190 will be close to maxing them out at full tilt but it will work fine.

Piping, take the simplest route possible, minimum number of bends etc, you can have it custom made and mandrel bent or just use silicone bends, its easy stuff.

Dump valve, fit a recirc, needs to go in the pressure side of the SC near to the outlet and back into the SC intake after the MAF and breather pipework.

ECU, I used a Power FC, if you have an auto this wont work so get a greddy emanage, dont think you will obtain the same high numbers on the emanage but it will work and you will have a good fast car.

spark plugs, fit yourself a set of iridium plugs, I used NGK, dont believe in getting shafted by HKS and Denso, never had a problem with the NGK.

thats about it really, its bloody obvious how it all goes together, if you collect all the bits together and are reasonably competent with a spanner etc you should be able to complete the install in about two days.

Other things to consider.

LSD, get one if you can, I used the quaife, its an excellent bit of kit, it may be difficult to get hold of now but I do know there are other options, well worth it.

Clutch, I used a totally stock aftermarket replacement item, flywheel was also stock, I had no issues with the clutch, dont believe everything you read, if you are not a complete spaz on the pedal it will work just fine.

brakes, you will definitely need to do something here, the stok items are just not man enough when you get the power up like this, I had a custom 330mm with 6pots from KAD here in the UK, they are expensive but damn good and guranteed to break your teeth on the steering wheel,

MAP sensor. If your going for the Power FC it is a nice mod to fit the MAP sensor from a JDM supra, this simply wires into the existing cabling for the MAF sensor and replaces the feedback wire to the ECU with the signal from the MAP sensor. take power for the MAP sensor from the TPS. If you dont know how to work with these sensors then leave well alone orp you will give yourself no end of grief. I found the MAP sensor gave a perfect fire up and idle no matter what the weather conditions. If you do this then you may also want to source a replacement AIT, this should be mounted as close to the TB as possible, I was looking into this but got bored with the car and sold it.

the last thing that I would suggest you seriously consider is a wideband O2 setup, I use the kits from WBO2.com, they are superb and cheap, do NOT attempt to tune without one.

I shall leave you with some pics so you can see my 140 engine with all the bits attached, the 190 will look much the same. I hope that someone picks this up and has a go, its not a difficult job and someone (me) has done the donkey work already. I dont expect to see anyone manufacturing this as a kit for commmercial gain, you need to ask first, this is my work and I expect some recognition for it. Other than that, enjoy and get blown.

post-165-1114601236_thumb.jpg

post-165-1114601310_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info IMEK

Question though: if the rotrex is easier to install and better for power why would Lotus decide on the eaton... there must be a benefit to it.... are they more efficient perhaps?

Thanks for the info IMEK

Question though: if the rotrex is easier to install and better for power why would Lotus decide on the eaton... there must be a benefit to it....  are they more efficient perhaps?

No, centrifugal are most efficient.

I guess Lotus chose Eaton because (all IMHO):

- Garage Frey develped an Eaton-based SC for 2zz-ge

- This project has been taken over TTE

- So basicly the everything has already been developed

- Eatons have internal clutch/boost control (vs in centrifugal you have to use external boost controler)

- Eatons allow for less tampering, and even when tampered with, their limited efficiency does not allow for strong overboost, which could be fatal with stock internals

- Eatons are "maintanance free", whereas in centrifugal rotrex you have to change oil.

No, the rotrex is far easier.

you only need bracket (already designed), belt and IC piping

whereas with eaton you have to make all intake new...

Rotrex comes with its own, independent oiling system with cooler, so if you change oil, its gonna be as reliable/durable as eaton. It just needs more maintenence.

And 300 hp in FWD is most welcomed. Some newcelica guys have over 400 whp, and they're most happy with that.

Nino,

Those pics of the TRD supercharger you have for the 1zz-fe, is that the whole kit as you got it?

I wasn't aware that it came with an ECU, I thought you had to buy a piggyback seperate and get it all tuned.

Also...what's the fifth injector ?

Grimlock,

Does the TRD supercharger have a clutch that disables the supercharger when you run on small throttle openings?

There's another point here that we've missed. Lotus has changed the cam shift point down to 4000rpm, obviously as the induction is forced more airflow is then desirable lower down.

But clearly, it can be done. The question is whether this is just part of the ecu programming or whether the oil pressure valve also needs to be changed to allow shifting at lower rpm (and hence, lower oil pressure).

Clearly, changing your shift point would be detrimental on a stock engine, but as soon as someone force feeds one of these puppies then this is one way to optimise the output.

Nino,

Those pics of the TRD supercharger you have for the 1zz-fe, is that the whole kit as you got it?

I wasn't aware that it came with an ECU, I thought you had to buy a piggyback seperate and get it all tuned.

Also...what's the fifth injector ?

Grimlock,

Does the TRD supercharger have a clutch that disables the supercharger when you run on small throttle openings?

I'm not too sure but I think the 1zz supercharger got revised and includes a TRD ECU.