Lowered on std shocks

Man+van

Hi all.

How are you guys goin with lowered springs, big wheels and std shocks??

Any of them blown/ bouncy or are they holding up??

Cheers guys

Hey,

I had to replace the front left shock twice after lowering it. Didn't like the new ride height. I've ended up going with fully adjustable coil overs.

Daniel

gday-just my 2 cents worth

if you are going to lower the car by any more than 1 inch you should always change the shocks to suit,this is mainly because the shock doesnt work the way it was designed and the oil and or gas gets hot and doesnt do the job it was designed to do,this is what i was told anyways.

i had a falcon yrs ago that was lowered when i bought it with standard shocks and they were just terrible under heavy cornering etc,didnt stick to the ground well etc,when replaced with shocks designed for lowered vehicle the difference was incredible,they stuck like s..t to a blanket.

just my opinion

cheers

I have purchased King Springs on their own but I am yet to install them. I don't plan on changing the shocks.

Using the stock shocks after lowered springs seems quite common with Aurion owners who are looking for a lower ride rather then race performance and I am willing to save a few $s in the short term to see how it goes.

ive had 20's + kings for nearly 10000k's now and no dramas, no hissing or bouncyness and my springs where a massive drop, over 50mm in the rear. if i still have my car when the shocks go out im getting coilovers

Edited by ELEGNT

if you are going to lower the car by any more than 1 inch you should always change the shocks to suit,this is mainly because the shock doesnt work the way it was designed and the oil and or gas gets hot and doesnt do the job it was designed to do,this is what i was told anyways.

i had a falcon yrs ago that was lowered when i bought it with standard shocks and they were just terrible under heavy cornering etc,didnt stick to the ground well etc,when replaced with shocks designed for lowered vehicle the difference was incredible,they stuck like s..t to a blanket.

+1. I agree to those opinions you have brought forward. Sure lowering on standard shocks will work and for some, last a while, but it's not what I would call optimal. Then again, those that you see lowering their car don't really care for performance anymore. Everyone seems to be going for looks these days.

if you want to maintain yr optimum grip etc i would definitely change the shocks,the handling is a lot better than standard shocks,when i had the special lowered shocks they were basically a cut down and modified 4x4 shock and i was very sceptical they would make a difference but they did,given time the standard shocks i would think would fail earlier than normal due to the restricted movement of the piston(shaft etc)

anyways-just my opinion

cheers

I've had no dramas as yet 12000km I gues it depends on road condition,km,driving habbits etc

if you want it for track then get it set up for track if you want it as daily driver set it up as daily driver

all these touring cars keep changing there tyres cambers and susspesion each time they race at diffrent circuits.

for me no racing just style and looks as said before i have my 1973 cortina with 347 stroker v8 that pull 9's 1/4 mile if i want track work lol now thats addrelian and 30 grand spent.

Aurions a family car for me and looks with some little grunt and that it.... full stop

AUR30N

"gday-just my 2 cents worth

just my opinion

cheers "

Yeah i agree as well.

Its more the spring rate is higher and is moving the shock faster than it was designed to and in turn heats and thins out the fluid which travels through the valving easier which causes bouncing and an uncontrolled wheel.

Im looking at coilovers, but was just curios as to how other peoples were going as it seems a lot of people are doing it.

Thanks for the responses

• 1 month later...
Does anyone with lowered springs and standard shocks have creeking noises when going over larger bumps and turning corners fast?

Yeah mate, mine did it bad when I had my aurion. Took mine back to pedders and they said the the little rubber bits in the suspension get dry, just need to lubicate every 3 months. And it goes straight away. Get ya suspension dudes to do it for ya for free.

Does anyone with lowered springs and standard shocks have creeking noises when going over larger bumps and turning corners fast?

Yeah mate, mine did it bad when I had my aurion. Took mine back to pedders and they said the the little rubber bits in the suspension get dry, just need to lubicate every 3 months. And it goes straight away. Get ya suspension dudes to do it for ya for free.

were not talking about the boot rubber they cut when lowering?

AUR30N

Most of the others I have shown the noise don't believe it is a major issue, but I don't like the idea that something might be wearing out.

Thanks for the input Bondi! I want to try this out and see how I go.

Do you know exactly what they were lubing up and what lube they used? I ran out of KY. I dont have suspension dudes because me and my brother are the suspension dudes. LOL.. having said that he is in the know about cars (mainly Holden and Ford) and I am not.

See the attached pic. I'd love if you could please point out the part(s).

Ari, we had no need to cut any boot. I don't know what you are referring to..?????

post-14100-1256117069_thumb.png

Hey Jeff. I'd be thinking that they were lubricating the actual suspension bushes (like those that hold the front sway bar), rather than components of the strut itself.

The type of lube that you use for that is Lithium Grease. I'd lube all of the following to start off:

newpicture6.jpg

newpicture7.jpg

Sorry dudes I should have explained myself a bit better.

They vaselined around the shaft of the shocks. What it was doing was picking up the bump stop over speed bumps and causing a creaking noise as it was very dry. By using vaseline it wouldnt damage the bumpstop and would be asorbed easily.

If you have any questions exactly what they did ring pedders at browns plains qld and speak to allan. Ph: 07 3800 4288

He will be able to explain more in detail.

Mine was creaking every time I went over a speed hump or up a drive way. The vaseline worked a treat and fixed it straight away.

Hope this helps.

Bondie.

were not talking about the boot rubber they cut when lowering?

Are you referring to the bump stops?

yes bump stop rubber ....lol ...don't no why typed boot rubber maybe cause last few days I been chasing some boot spoiler lol.

at least you picked up on it Daryl

AUR30N

• 2 weeks later...

Received the TTC Urethane Cushion from Korea yesterday (recommended by DJKOR as a possible solution to reduce the scrubbing problem whenever i have 3 passengers at the back). Went to install it today and also get the shocks "vaselined" at Pedders (recommended by Bondie).. haven't have the chance to try how it goes as i don't have any passengers.. ahhahaha.. will update after the weekend if i am heading to the coast..

The product look like this.. and it didn't increase the height much (used to have one finger gap.. now just slightly higher but still slightly less than 2 finger gap)..

ttcurethanecushionbuffe.jpg

ttcurethanecushionbuffe.jpg