aftermarket gps for kx-s kx-r

Hado

All

I have been researching an aftermarket gps for my kx-s.

I don't like the Toyota OEM version which doesn't let you use the latest maps or gps software like IGO 8.

Nav n go website - igo8 description

I also want something that is more than just a double din slot replacement i.e. a grande style gps replacement.

What do you think of this gps replacement?

post-14696-1251805739_thumb.jpg

post-14696-1251805838_thumb.jpg

post-14696-1251807483_thumb.jpg

I have more photos from the manufacturer. I can get it for $600 delivered.

Also, has anyone had experience installing this sort of gps?

Kind regards

Hado

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where do the hazard light button and indicator lights go, as the two large dial knobs will take up their positions on the KX-S dash?

Also have a look at the following threads over on the Toyota Nation forum:

OEM Navigation <-- For those who did not buy the option but want it

For Those Who Want Factory Looking Navigation System

Edited by Kesawi

Kesawi

It apears to use the switch bundle that is in the USA sport model highlander.

post-14696-1251846625_thumb.jpg

We would have to source this part and maybe asking the USA forum is one way to get the part number - this is my next bit of research.

Most of the USA discussion appears preliminary and they haven't got hold of the manufacturer - their prices are much higher for a similar unit. If you search for a highlander gps on the internet you get lots of resellers of Chinese goods with big mark ups. No one sems to have installed one.

I have got the wholesale price - direct from the manufacturer. And no need to buy 50 - just one.

There is a bit of anti-chinese sentiment in the USA forums as well - they don't seem to understand just about all consumer goods are made in China - including most of the parts of the computers we are looking at this forum with right now.

I have a 7 inch portable chinese made GPS and it works well - uses the latest maps with red light/speed cameras and speed warnings - this is why I couldn't go backwards to the Toyota version. It cost only $200.

I'm not technically skilled enough to do the install - that's why I want to see if others have done it or to try and get some support/suggestions. :help:

I am willing to take the risk of buying he first test model.

Kind regards

Hado

Hi Hado,

That unit looks great and at a very attractive price! Thanks for posting. I too have been hunting around for a replacement but I also would prefer Grande style rather than a Double Din. I am interested to know how you go with solving the switch bundle issue. Please post your progress!

Could have a look at the Aupacks units (http://members.optusnet.com.au/auspacks/) but I don't think they do a Kluger version (only Camry).

How do you get the updated safety cameras and maps into the unit you're looking at?

At least the new in-dash units being released are starting to catch up to the features the portables have. The Eclipse AVN7262EA has TMC, speed and safety camera alerts. I'm almost tempted to finally retire my trusty old TomTom and go for one of these (almost :D)

Edited by Kesawi

The Auspacks unit looks similar and forum members who have installed them in their camrys seem satisfied with them.

The gps map and software are all run from an SD card. I don't know why most of the OEM units still use DVD maps - just so they can charge for updates I suspect.

If you have a close look at the pictures there are two SD slots shown under the screen - one for multimedia - DivX movies and MP3 etc. - and the other for the GPS map and software. Now that SD cards have much larger capacities you will be able to run a large music collection on one - no need for an Ipod connection.

On my 7 inch portable gps - a 1G SD card runs all the gps software and maps. I uses IGO 8 and v15 Australian maps - no problem with new roads like eastlink.

There are also lots of skins to download for IGO 8 which change the functions that show on screen and newer versions even have a picture of your car rather than a arrow as the position cursor. Here is an example: Skin page

I have the car cursors downloaded at home and will check to see if they have a highlander.

The system on my portable is WinCE 4.2 so you can also run other software such a Tomtom etc.

If you want to change software - you just have another SD card with it installed. For example, I have Ozexplorer on another SD card with all the HEMA 4wd maps of Australia in my glove box and if I go offroad I can just change to this software. Before the Kluger I had a Land Rover Discovery.

I have asked the manufacturer about the operating system for the highlander gps and have yet to get an answer.

Hopefully it will be WinCE 5.0 because we would be able to run newer versions of the gps software.

Kesawi

It apears to use the switch bundle that is in the USA sport model highlander.

post-14696-1251846625_thumb.jpg

We would have to source this part and maybe asking the USA forum is one way to get the part number - this is my next bit of research.

Most of the USA discussion appears preliminary and they haven't got hold of the manufacturer - their prices are much higher for a similar unit. If you search for a highlander gps on the internet you get lots of resellers of Chinese goods with big mark ups. No one sems to have installed one.

I have got the wholesale price - direct from the manufacturer. And no need to buy 50 - just one.

There is a bit of anti-chinese sentiment in the USA forums as well - they don't seem to understand just about all consumer goods are made in China - including most of the parts of the computers we are looking at this forum with right now.

I have a 7 inch portable chinese made GPS and it works well - uses the latest maps with red light/speed cameras and speed warnings - this is why I couldn't go backwards to the Toyota version. It cost only $200.

I'm not technically skilled enough to do the install - that's why I want to see if others have done it or to try and get some support/suggestions. :help:

I am willing to take the risk of buying he first test model.

Kind regards

Hado

There always has to be a leader.....with anything like that you are playing Russian roulette if you like to gamble go for it

I got the Grande because I know it was all meant to be and work together for a long time (I hope)

You never know you could be on a little winner as it looks the part but its whats on the inside that really counts

Good luck with it :)

I agree it is a risk, but once one of us has sucessfully done it - others will be able make a more informed decision. :D

The operating system is WinCE 5.0:

GPS Specification

Operation system

WINCE 5.0 CORE

Support map

Tomtom,IGO,Route66 ect.

Processor

SAMSUNG High performance processor S3C2440A-40

EMS Memory

64MB SDRAM

Storage device

128MB

Display output

CVBS+S-VIDEO output

Audio output

stereo CD Qaulity

Main Frequency

400MHz

Support Audio Type

MP3/PCM/WMA

Support Video Type

ASF/AV/WMV/DIVX

Chipest

SiRF STARⅢ

Frequence

1.575GHZ

Channel number

20 channels

Tracking sense degree

-159dbm

Position Accuracy

10m 2D RMS 5m. 2D RMS, WAAS enabie

Velocity

0.1m/s

Data Renewal Rate

1HZ

Re-catching time

Average0.1S

Hot start time

Average 1s

Warm Start time

Average 38s

Cold start time

Average 42s

The biggest fixed height

18,000m

The biggest velocity

515m/s

Power Speci

DC12v, Current<500mA

Consumption

4.5w(12v/360mA)

Normal power consumption 3w(12v/250mA)

Hi, Hado

I would be very interested in the unit. I own a Grande and I am fed up with the lack of funcionality from the GPS. I was thinking of getting the unit which allows me to plug in an Ipod but a complete GPS replacement is the same price for more options. On the Grande the reverse camera picture appears on the main screen, I am conserned that I will loose that function. Very important because my wife has a habbit of backing into things. Also the Grande has a mic for the phone in the roof, can that still be used. If things go well with your fitting you can count me in for a unit.

Good luck

Ham

Ham

The seller claims the system has the following functions which includes rear view camera inputs:

• 7 inch TFT
  • With touch screen interface
  • Motorized panel with 5 angel positions
  • TV TUNER BUILT-IN, NTSC/PAL/SECAM
  • DVD/VCD/HDCD/SVCD/CD/MP3/MP4/DIVX compatible
  • AM/FM RADIO
  • SD/MMC CARD SLOT, U disc supported
  • Support external hard disc player
  • Rear-view parking camera input
  • Subwoofer output
  • 1-way radio/video input
  • 2-way audio/video output
  • Power out 25walts*4

Caska makes a model that can use an Intelligent Parking Assist System - but it is much more expensive - and I'm not sure if we can get it in Australia. :(

Caska CA3637

I am still trying to find the US part number for the 'hazard light switch assembly' I need, before I put an order in.

If anyone is a regular poster on the Toyotanation forum maybe they could ask for me? :help: I don't really want my first post to be a request.

Kind regards

Hado

Ham

The seller claims the system has the following functions which includes rear view camera inputs:

• 7 inch TFT
  • AM/FM RADIO
  • Subwoofer output
  • Power out 25walts*4

Caska makes a model that can use an Intelligent Parking Assist System - but it is much more expensive - and I'm not sure if we can get it in Australia. :(

Caska CA3637

I am still trying to find the US part number for the 'hazard light switch assembly' I need, before I put an order in.

If anyone is a regular poster on the Toyotanation forum maybe they could ask for me? :help: I don't really want my first post to be a request.

Kind regards

Hado

Hado,

I was wonering if it was the same as the unit on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-KLUGER-09-Di...id=p3286.c0.m14

Rgeards

post-12424-1252236969_thumb.jpg

Ham

• 7 inch TFT
  • AM/FM RADIO
  • Subwoofer output
  • Power out 25walts*4

Caska CA3637

Kind regards

Hado

Hado,

I was wonering if it was the same as the unit on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-KLUGER-09-Di...id=p3286.c0.m14

Rgeards

Good find Ham! It looks like it comes with the hazard light switch assembly too!!

Ham

This is the unit from FlyAudio - I have been researching this one as well:

FlyAudio highlander GPS

It was only released in August.

I was waiting on an email from the Australian distributor - but this saves us the wait - great find. :clap:

I am not sure if it includes the hazard switch because the ebay info is a copy of the above website and it is for the highlander where they have the switch.

We still need to check this out.

I like this unit - the extra silver suits the KX-S nicely - and it has similar if not the same functions of the Caska unit.

I saw on some other car forums that FlyAudio is considered reliable. They are a common replacement in Mazdas.

While more expensive than the first unit I was considering - this is a better unit and buying it from and Australian supplier and from ebay with Paypal is safer.

I emailed EasyPark about the install costs of their earlier double din replacement and they said it was $200.

Kind regards

Hado

Edited by Hado

All

A further update.

I just spoke to the owner of EasyPark - George - his supply of units are ariving in Australia next week.

He has looked at the USA version, but has yet to have a look at the Australian version.

Therefore, he doesn't know about the hazard switch issue.

He confirmed it does operate WinCE 5.0 - which means we can used most GPS software - but he will also supply Australian maps and software. He said the system is much better than the double din polaris (Caska) unit and the software was very impressive with lots of upgrade options.

I have arranged to meet with him in the next fortnight when he plans to be in Melbourne to look at the Australian version.

I will let you know when this is going to happen and the results. Hopefully I will be able to take pictures and test the unit's functions etc.

If you have any questions you think I should ask let me know?

Kind regards

Hado

Edited by Hado

All

A further update.

I just spoke to the owner of EasyPark - George - his supply of units are ariving in Australia next week.

He has looked at the USA version, but has yet to have a look at the Australian version.

Therefore, he doesn't know about the hazard switch issue.

He confirmed it does operate WinCE 5.0 - which means we can used most GPS software - but he will also supply Australian maps and software. He said the system is much better than the double din polaris (Caska) unit and the software was very impressive with lots of upgrade options.

I have arranged to meet with him in the next fortnight when he plans to be in Melbourne to look at the Australian version.

I will let you know when this is going to happen and the results. Hoepfully I will be able to take pictures and test the unit's functions etc.

Kind regards

Hado

Hi Hado,

If George can confirm how the hazard switch issue can be solved and guarantee correct operation in aussie Klugers then perhaps we can try and run a mini-group buy and hopefully George can sharpen the price up a bit?

If George can do this then in my mind it has eliminated the risk and the need to do a test car first, therefore, it’s a matter of who wants one! What do you think? There could be a few of us here that want one and perhaps the price could drop to under 1k?

I'd be interested to know whether the unit and GPS software will accept RDS-TMC data. Also given the introduction of digital radio, how easy it will be to upgrade the unit in the future.

jaenschw

Agree if we are not bringing in the unit from China then we don't need to do a test car. Good suggestion on the group buy to try and bring the price down. ;)

We can always go back to the cheaper option if this looks too expensive.

Although if this solves the hazard switch issue and the install is reasonable we might be close to the same overall cost.

Kesawi

He actually mentioned RDS and digital radio upgrades and I will add this to my list of questions.

Hado

jaenschw

Agree if we are not bringing in the unit from China then we don't need to do a test car. Good suggestion on the group buy to try and bring the price down. ;)

We can always go back to the cheaper option if this looks too expensive.

Although if this solves the hazard switch issue and the install is reasonable we might be close to the same overall cost.

Kesawi

He actually mentioned RDS and digital radio upgrades and I will add this to my list of questions.

Hado

Saw Toyota in Canberra to get a price on the style hazard light switch that would be needed if it doesnt come with this unit.

They confirmed that they can get one to suit (little different to the US style one that has airbag off light, and is the wrong way around for us.)

Was only asking out of out of interest, as not looking to upgrade as yet.

They said they can order it, price $294!!! @%$# Also found a picture of one. Will post the part number for anyone who is still keen.

Those that are looking to go this way definately watch out if this is included or not.

Also another thing to watch out for from another forum, apparently many aftermarket units don't have an auto dimming screen for night, which is meant to be very annoying and a big hassle with these size lcds.

Goodluck, would love to see how things go with this.

post-12868-1252305001_thumb.jpg

Edited by wilsact

wilsact

How can they realistically charge $300 for a switch - that is ridiculously expensive.

Yes please post the part number - this would be a great help.

Thanks I will add in the auto dimmer question as well. My current GPS software changes from day to night screen based on the time it gets from the satellites, but I realise this unit will also be using other functions not just GPS.

Kind regards

Hado

Hado,

I have a couple of questions.

1. Can the reverse camera be played through the main unit as the brochure shows the picture being shown through the trip computer screen.

2. Is there full function with the steering wheel controls, on the Grande there is the volume, mode (switching between Radio and CD), channel up and down, phone on/off and voice activation.

3. connectivity to existing plugs.

4. Does the facia come in brown to match the beige interior colour.

5. Where does the Ipod connect.

6. Are there detailed fitting instructions with the unit, for possible DIY.

I love the idea of a possible club bulk purchase and subject to a little more detailed information I would be very interested, the FLYAUDIO seems to be a better unit than the CASKA.

Regards

Ham

Hey, I'm also interested, I believe that switch maybe able to be purchase on NZ Klugers/highlanders

CSmiley

I looked into this and unfortunately the highest spec model the 'Highlander Limited' in NZ is the same spec as the KX-S. :huh:

See the NZ Highlander Brochure PDF

Much better brochure though - explains a lot of the tech features.

Kind regards

Hado

I would really like one of these. From the website http://www.flyaudio.us/for-toyota/highlander it looks like you can add a couple of display headrests to keep the kiddies happy and it will play avi files. DIVX would also be nice.

Please keep updating this thread on availabilty and compatability.

Cheers very much.