aftermarket gps for kx-s kx-r

Hado

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I too am considering a purchase of this unit and agree that there are some definite unknowns. There's quite a bit of info around about the Flyaudio units, particularly with the Mazda crowd, and most reports seem pretty good. Hopefully this is the same with the highlander/kluger unit. Getting the hazard switch sorted is a major issue though...

Ham, I applaud you on your pioneering ways! Keep us posted!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there are a few differences that will need to be overcome like the phone mike, extra steering wheel controls, GPS sensor, rear camera, the list goes on. I am beginning to think I should have gone for an easier option.

Ham

Your starting to worry me now ;)

I was hoping the steering controls and GPS antenna weren't going to be too much of a problem. The steering wheel controls should just work and the antenna has to just sit on the dash somewhere.

Although the phone mic is a good one - all I know is that in the Grande it is in the centre roof console near the sunroof switches. We might be lucky and find it's wired in already.

I also noticed some of the international (Hong Kong) stores are starting to sell similar units on ebay for around $600 - just search for 'Highlander GPS', but none seem as good as the FlyAudio system.

I might email them to see if they have install instructions.

Kind regards

Hado

Hado,

While I have not yet received the unit, I do know it comes with a mike for the phone and a GPS sensor. I will need to play with the unit to see the compatibility and if there are any issues. I was just speculating on what will and won't fit. I would

like to keep as much of the original as possible but I am committed to making this work so if i do have to replace the rear camera George at Easypark can supply what looks like and exact copy of the original rear camera that will work. As to

the GPS I will need to play a little. George did say that he can get the other system but you get what you pay for. Excepting the looks are a little different I think the other system is not as robust and the graphics look less sophisticated. Hey its

only money.

I would really like one of these. From the website http://www.flyaudio.us/for-toyota/highlander it looks like you can add a couple of display headrests to keep the kiddies happy and it will play avi files. DIVX would also be nice.

Please keep updating this thread on availabilty and compatability.

Cheers very much.

I have purchased the unit and installed it. The frequency on the radio deck crackles ocassional but can be fix with a booster.

The section missing on the bottom of the unit hazards,seat belt indicator you can get direct from Toyota.

:( The only problem i have is cant get the dam gps sd card to work. It always comes up with error. I even took to a gps shop and they tried many sd cards

with no luck. Hado did you say you got yours working if so can you tell me how to do as instructions they give you are lousy.

Also the blue tooth keeps on disconnecting on second usage and you have to re-connect

Edited by terminator1

Hi terminator1, congratulations on the purchase. Hope you can get the issues sorted...

Is the GPS issue a problem with the software or is the actual reader not reading the card? Have you tried putting some mp3 files on the card and playing these? I don't have the unit yet but believe the latest firmware (V4 I think) will play mp3s installed on the GPS card. What GPS software are you trying?

Also do you mind sharing the part number for the hazard switch, and the price you paid. Was the hazard switch install a simple plug swap or did it require more?

Cheers!

Hi terminator1, congratulations on the purchase. Hope you can get the issues sorted...

Is the GPS issue a problem with the software or is the actual reader not reading the card? Have you tried putting some mp3 files on the card and playing these? I don't have the unit yet but believe the latest firmware (V4 I think) will play mp3s installed on the GPS card. What GPS software are you trying?

Also do you mind sharing the part number for the hazard switch, and the price you paid. Was the hazard switch install a simple plug swap or did it require more?

Cheers!

Hi all you keen men/women

part number To-8401048340C0 ,geniune control panel.

It clips straight in on the bottom gap. Just clip off original wiring harness from hazards etc and clip onto new control panel.

list price $204 + gst .

My unit has two seperate ports . on left plays but on the right it is only dedicated for gps card. It comes up error fail to load.

cheers all

Edited by terminator1

Terminator1

Thanks for the part number - much appreciated. :clap: This has been holding many of us back.

Good questions Acorn - it sounds like the software is not loading up properly (or as you point out) a hardware error with the SD card reader.

My experience with the gps software is it is very finicky - have one minor file in the wrong place or a missed screen resolution file and it just doesn't load.

I play around with my portable gps a bit trying out new skins and features and I often have to revert to a back-up set to get it running again.

(This is why I initially wanted a WinCE based unit - because of the ability to personalise the gps software.) :D

I will send you a working trial gps file set on the weekend (which I will pre test on my WinCE unit) and you can try to run it - so we can try to find the cause of the problem.

Kind regards

Hado

I called the local dealer and they can order in part # 84010-48340-C0 from Japan - it is a special order so no refund if it is the wrong part. It costs $224.

Terminator1 - just to make us all comfortable can you post a picture of your installed switch - it would be good to see your installed unit anyway?

This seems like the right part number to me because I found the USA LHD version was 84010-48330-C0 - only one number different.

I called the local dealer and they can order in part # 84010-48340-C0 from Japan - it is a special order so no refund if it is the wrong part. It costs $224.

Terminator1 - just to make us all comfortable can you post a picture of your installed switch - it would be good to see your installed unit anyway?

This seems like the right part number to me because I found the USA LHD version was 84010-48330-C0 - only one number different.

Hi all,

Just an update on after market gps i have istalled. i have tried quite a few programes with no such luck on unit working.

Haven't given up just yet . Have a few cards up my sleave. Don't want to post pics of unit installed just yet until i get the gps working on the darn thing.

Installing the dvd head rest tomorrow and hopefully they might get gps working . $1175 supply and installed with wireless head sets. They look so good

will keep all intouch regarding gps unit.

My unit has two seperate ports . on left plays but on the right it is only dedicated for gps card. It comes up error fail to load.

cheers all

Hi terminator1,

Just a thought with your GPS issues - from your previous post it sounds as though you have the Caska style unit with two SD ports at the bottom of the unit. Did the supplier of your unit provide you with a demo or trial GPS software? If they did, and if this software at least loads, then you may need to follow the same file structure. If there is a startup file (startup.txt, system.ini or something similar) then you will need to copy this to the root folder of your SD card and with a text editor change the startup file to direct it to the correct program file.

Hopefully that makes sense :)

Good luck and look forward to seeing the photos of your install! ...including the headrest monitors!!

cheers all

Hi terminator1,

Just a thought with your GPS issues - from your previous post it sounds as though you have the Caska style unit with two SD ports at the bottom of the unit. Did the supplier of your unit provide you with a demo or trial GPS software? If they did, and if this software at least loads, then you may need to follow the same file structure. If there is a startup file (startup.txt, system.ini or something similar) then you will need to copy this to the root folder of your SD card and with a text editor change the startup file to direct it to the correct program file.

Hopefully that makes sense :)

Good luck and look forward to seeing the photos of your install! ...including the headrest monitors!!

NEW UPDATE: ITS ALIVE !

I finally got the gps working with a Route66 file.

everything is in working order. you can have the radio still on whislt your gps is working, radio cuts of when gps talks and same with phone.

The after market dvd head rest are of top quality and can work as one or seperate systems with wireless head phones.

ALL IS GOOD !

Will send pics of all by week end sorry guys but all this mucking around with unit has made me behind in work.

CHEERS ALL

Hi terminator1,

Can't wait to see the pictures. I've got loads of questions, sorry. I really want to get one asap.

Can you tell me how much it all cost? Head unit, install, head rests, etc.

Do you do any of the work yourself?

Where did you buy from?

How good is the navigation and maps? Speed camers warnings, map updates, etc.

Does it play avi and divx? From dvd and USB or SD slots?

Did you get the steering controls all to work?

Does the bluetooth work?

If you have an iPhone how well does it intregate, charging, songs, video, contacts?

Apologies again for all the questions, but it will help me so much.

Cheers

I ordered the switch from Toyota and the FlyAudio System from EasyPark earlier this week. :D

Once the switch arrives (and it is the right one) I will arrange and take photos of the install process.

Edited by Hado

I order the switch from Toyota and the FlyAudio System from EasyPark earlier this week. :D

Once the switch arrives (and it is the right one) I will arrange and take photos of the install process.

Hi Hado,

Have you received the FlyAudio unit yet or is it still on order? Please let us know your thoughts on the unit, quality etc.

Also, how long did Toyota say the switch would take to arrive?

Hi Hado,

Have you received the FlyAudio unit yet or is it still on order? Please let us know your thoughts on the unit, quality etc.

Also, how long did Toyota say the switch would take to arrive?

Acorn

The switch arrived today. :D So it took only four working days.

And it is the correct switch - so one major hurdle now solved.

Here is a pic:

post-14696-1260355953_thumb.jpg

You can see from the packaging the part number was correct - as provided earlier in this thread.

I was worried about this, because Toyota couldn't confirm that the part number matched the photo.

In fact the first person I spoke to at the dealership told me the number was for the Grande switch and it was only after I insisted it wasn't and two people latter that they agreed to order the part for me - paid up front - no refund.

The GPS unit is still on order from Easy Park. Not sure when it will arrive in Australia.

I am probably going to try and install it myself over the holidays.

I will take photos and post them.

Kind regards

Hado

• 2 weeks later...

Easy Park set my unit from Sydney this morning - hope to receive it early next week in Melbourne.

The version sent is an upgrade - 7548NAVI - which Easy Park says includes Bluetooth - no need to buy the separate upgrade module required with the older version - 7048NAVI.

Hope they are right :unsure:

Hi, all

I am back from my trip and have all the parts (including the switch componant) to fit my new easy park system. I was going to wait until after christmas was over and I have some time. I have been looking for a reliable expert to fit the system in the Canberra area. Can anyone help.

Regards

Ham

Edited by Ham