Upgrading Muffler

trn90

Hey guys,

First blog.... I currently drive a 2004 Corolla seca ascent hatch... and am really keen to upgrade my muffler and exhaust system, i want to get a bit more noise out of it. Don't want it to be stupid loud but would prefer a good quality loudish deeper sound ahah... im keen for all advice anything would be appreciated as i don't know a whole lot....

cheers,

dont get a cannon style muffler.

if u just want some sound not really in it for the performance get a oval muffler much like this

jzi6m9.jpg

but if u want performance look at getting a full system

Edited by ELEGNT

dont get a cannon style muffler.

if u just want some sound not really in it for the performance get a oval muffler much like this

jzi6m9.jpg

but if u want performance look at getting a full system

Thanks for the response, i presume price is the main difference between getting a system that is gonna improve sound vs a system thats gonna improve performance and sound...

what sorta of price range's would i be looking at/what sort of thing should i be asking about? for sound and for sound/performance

Cause i'm just as keen to improve performance at the same time, but as with most things it comes down to dollar

cheers,

2.25" press bent catback system with a straight though muffler and a single hotdog shouldn't set you back more than a few hundred.

cheers mate for the info, will this improve performance as well?

can u recommened somewhere good to get it done? i live inner south side brisbane..

im really keen to do a good job with it and not end up with a ****ty milo tin

thanks

2.25" press bent catback system with a straight though muffler and a single hotdog shouldn't set you back more than a few hundred.

cheers mate for the info, will this improve performance as well?

can u recommened somewhere good to get it done? i live inner south side brisbane..

im really keen to do a good job with it and not end up with a ****ty milo tin

thanks

i was also curious as to the how a 2" would compare to a 2.25" regarding performance and sound?

thanks for the ideas.

by the sounds of it i should go with the full system of:

2.25" press bent catback system with a straight though muffler and a single hotdog

if i want a hum and not a fart in terms of sound and some performance thats the way i should go?

will price vary depending on quality of parts or is anywhere goin to sell similar quality setup for similar price?

If not... what sort of price am i looking at and where are some recommended places to go to avoid it looking and sounding ****

cheers

Hey man this is my system.

3" from the cat to the axle, 2" piping from the axle to the muffler (it bends over the axle so 3 "piping isn't possible) then a redback muffler and a 3" dump tip.

Costed me 350 all up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pLATvanX5I.

IMO 2.25" is far too small.

-Azza

Just had a quote this afternoon, from Roy at AutoExcess (Melbourne) for $290 to supply and fit an XForce twin loop to my 06 IZZ-FE manual.

Dunno...seems reasonable.??

On another point, how many of you guys have actually declared your exhaust mod to your insurance company, and what exactly was their response..(eg increased premium, etc etc ..?) I'm with AAMI.

Just had a quote this afternoon, from Roy at AutoExcess (Melbourne) for $290 to supply and fit an XForce twin loop to my 06 IZZ-FE manual.

Dunno...seems reasonable.??

On another point, how many of you guys have actually declared your exhaust mod to your insurance company, and what exactly was their response..(eg increased premium, etc etc ..?) I'm with AAMI.

Apparently with the new AAMI policy (as of march or so) you get 3 mods before they bump up your premium.

I had extractors, catback + induction declared on my policy with no price change.

I had her lowered and I got a premium increase (it was about 11%). Getting a UR strut brace + rear sway bar soon so we'll see what happens when I change the policy again.

I would disagree with that statement.

A 2.25 inch system on a 1.8 litre 1ZZ is more than enough.

I agree with DJKOR,

just so you ALL know and understand this:

Standard 1zz-FE Exhaust piping is 1.75" - Peeshooter size

The Sportivo (2zz-GE) Exhaust is 2.25" - a very good upgrade from the standard 1zz exhaust.

The next option is a 2.5" catback exhaust, which WILL reduce preformance on a 1zz, if there isn't any mods to support this size exhaust. (eg. CAI and headers)

On a Sportivo, very good mod.

and of course, get 3" piping ONLY if running forced induction or upgraded ECU.

My 2c

Evo

I would disagree with that statement.

A 2.25 inch system on a 1.8 litre 1ZZ is more than enough.

I agree with DJKOR,

just so you ALL know and understand this:

Standard 1zz-FE Exhaust piping is 1.75" - Peeshooter size

The Sportivo (2zz-GE) Exhaust is 2.25" - a very good upgrade from the standard 1zz exhaust.

The next option is a 2.5" catback exhaust, which WILL reduce preformance on a 1zz, if there isn't any mods to support this size exhaust. (eg. CAI and headers)

On a Sportivo, very good mod.

and of course, get 3" piping ONLY if running forced induction or upgraded ECU.

My 2c

Evo

well said. i dont think anyone even has a 3" setup on their 2zz... thats NA.