Aurion VSC button?

Persian Boy

The Aurion dosen't have an on off switch...there is a procedure to turn it off,not sure of the exact way of doing it but it has been posted on here before...if DJKOR or some other Aurion members read this i'm sure they will be able to tell you exactly what to do. :)

Why it doesn't have that switch? any reason? in many situations the driver must switch it off.

This is not acceptable

If it is not acceptable... THEN DON'T BUY ONE.

Simple. Complaining about it is not going to make Toyota recall your car to put a switch in for you or magically make one appear.

Why doesn't it have a switch? Because that was a choice that Toyota made. For suburban and city driving around Australia, the average person is not going to need to turn it off.

Funny how you have said many situations because there have only been a few situations that I have come across over the last year that would help having VSC off. Even still, those were mainly on a wants not needs basis.

On a side note though, in the States, the facelift Gen 6 Camry has a VSC off switch. Quite possibly the facelift Aurion would be the same.

For those with a pre-facelift Aurion that have to turn VSC off, the procedure is as follows (as shown in the FAQ's that say to look there before asking):

Q) How do I turn traction control off?

A) The only way to turn traction control off on the Aurion is to follow this sequence (in under about 30 seconds):

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.

2. Start the engine.

3. Engage the parking brake.

4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

6. Disengage the parking brake.

7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.

8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).

10. Release the brake pedal.

11. Engage the parking brake.

12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

When you have completed these steps, the traction control warning light should illuminate (the car picture with wavy lines behind). To turn traction control back on, you need to turn your car off then back on again. That is the ONLY way to do all that.

Notice how after you start it with the parking brake off you are simply holding one brake while 'pumping' the other one twice, then you swap sides.

So you start the car with the parking brake off, then:

Hold the park brake and pump the normal brake twice, then you hold the normal brake and 'pump' the park brake twice, then you swap sides one more time.

stupid question time! arent vsc and traction control 2 completely different things? vsc applies each brake individually to guide the car on the desired steering course, and traction control limits the amount of power to the relative wheel in the event of breaking traction? thats my understanding of the two anyway. or in the aurion does vsc cover both of them?

lateralus and Mick. Yes you are correct in saying Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control are two separate features in terms of the way they work. However, Toyota made it so that disabling Traction Control also disables Vehicle Stability Control. That's why we use both terms for the same thing here.

Why it doesn't have that switch? any reason? in many situations the driver must switch it off.

This is not acceptable

Can you please enlighten us the "many situations" where it "MUST" be switched off. I can only think of one and it doesn't relate to driving on public roads.

Not to mention that it is a SAFETY feature and designed to contribute to improved handling... switching it off really just means you will just hop anyway rather than do burnouts.

I seem to recall someone here mentioning that it actually improved their track time to leave it on? Either that or my memory is just skewed from another 11 hour work day and no lunch... <_<

This is not acceptable

Can you please enlighten us the "many situations" where it "MUST" be switched off. I can only think of one and it doesn't relate to driving on public roads.

I don't know about Australia weather condition but here where I'm living we have three months snow and ice, on the icy surface, with Traction Control on the system don't allow the wheel to spin and the vehicle can't move at all and the driver should switch off the VSC and after pushing the pedal again switch it on then the vehicle start to move with helping Traction Control.

time you should really turn traction control off is when you deliberately need to spin the wheels, for instance, to free yourself when stuck in snow or mud.

Persian Boy, from my experience on very mud conditions (which is similar to wet snow or ice) and some snow VSC will let you spin a little( it will work in 'pulse' mode). And guys who own Aurion in my home country, which is Russia, don't have problem with VSC as well, and you know winter there more than 3 month, its almost 8 month. But in Russia we use snow tires, which helps a lot.

Edited by avstral

Disabling TRC sometimes helps, but in overall, since aurion gearbox use pulse style start to dig itself out and its FWD, its not a big deal.

And if you want to have little more fun on that long-long gravel and sand country roads that pedal sequence is just 5 seconds to do :) very easy. When I first time hit a wet mud road, oh man, VSC inference on some hard corner was very scary and dangerous, than you get used to it and can drift a little. But to be on safe side and have fun its better to turn it off.

Edited by avstral

Disabling TRC sometimes helps, but in overall, since aurion gearbox use pulse style start to dig itself out and its FWD, its not a big deal.

And if you want to have little more fun on that long-long gravel and sand country roads that pedal sequence is just 5 seconds to do :) very easy. When I first time hit a wet mud road, oh man, VSC inference on some hard corner was very scary and dangerous, than you get used to it and can drift a little. But to be on safe side and have fun its better to turn it off.

Do I understand you correctly that hitting a wet mud road with VSC+Traction turned on makes the car slide more than without it? I've only used the Commodore with TRC in the wet and believe it to be very good for inexperienced drivers.

Actually, here in Saudi Arabia, we have dry heat or dry cold, so the maximum you get are sandstorms in the extreme heat of June-August and rainy season for 2-4months between Nov-Feb. So, over here VSC/TRC is only useful during the winter if it rains.

Do I understand you correctly that hitting a wet mud road with VSC+Traction turned on makes the car slide more than without it? I've only used the Commodore with TRC in the wet and believe it to be very good for inexperienced drivers.

Actually, here in Saudi Arabia, we have dry heat or dry cold, so the maximum you get are sandstorms in the extreme heat of June-August and rainy season for 2-4months between Nov-Feb. So, over here VSC/TRC is only useful during the winter if it rains.

The VSC in the Aurion works exceptionally well on muddy tracks, it saved my wifes butt on atleast one occasion when she hit a puddle big enough to send the car sideways... the VSC straightened the car out before she could react.

VSC works great in straighting you car. Danger can be if you enter corner classic way you do on mud roads- putting you car little sideways, VSC will let you do that. but when you already in a corner VSC straighting the car, so it will go forward rather than sideways... forward in to a tree.

In case one drive on mud same as on normal roads VSC will be handy. But warning is- if speed is too high VSC will not help sliding it out of the road.

Edited by avstral

Be careful about what you think VSC actually is. It is just a driving aide to help you regain control in unforeseen circumstances. It is not there to be a substitute for good driving skills. It won't always be able to correct every out of control scenario, but it will try to do what it can so hopefully you may not end up off the road.

... but when you already in a corner VSC straighting the car, so it will go forward rather than sideways... forward in to a tree.

It won't forcefully 'straighten' the car while cornering. It will correct itself so that it will continue along the direction that the front wheels are facing. It will only go in another direction if you turn the wheels in another direction. When traction control is active, you only make the situation worse by trying to correct the slide too quickly.