Driving Lights

Hado

All

I have just bought a nudge bar (not installed yet) and I'm now thinking about what type of driving lights to install (now stuck on the modification merry-go-round). :)

I'm not sure what size looks best or fits on the Toyota nudge bar or which brand to buy. :unsure:

Brands I'm considering include: Hella, Lightforce and Roo Lites.

What brand and size of driving lights do you have?

Would you recommend them and how do they perform?

Also, if you have a picture of them installed this would be appeciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hado

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have Roolite 220's on the Kluger, and Lightforce 240's on my Triton - I think the LF is a slightly better light, but there is not much in it. The 220 Roolite fits the Kluger nudgebar perfectly IMHO. They seem to be a good light, and the beam is adjustable like the Lightforce lights.

Hope that helps

IMGP2003Medium.jpg

IMGP1995Medium.jpg

IMGP2006Medium.jpg

Edited by holmesie

I have Hella Comet 500 lights. I was cautioned against getting large lights by the dealer when I bought the car as they can block too much airflow through the grill. The range of the lights isn't fantastic though, probably 100m more than the high beam on the Kluger. It's ok for the driving I do, but I'd want to upgrade if I were doing a lot of rural night driving. My recommendation would be to avoid them unless you need a cheap light.

I had driven a car several years ago with Hella Rallye 1000 lights and they were quite good. Another person I know swears by light force.

gallery_11798_641_42921.jpg

gallery_11798_641_90780.jpg

Edited by Kesawi

I was worried about airflow too Kewasi, but coming through this last summer where we had almost 3 weeks of 40+ degree heat I never had a problem AND I have an insect screen over in behind the grille as well as the lights.

I think most driving lights would mount far enough out from the grille that air can still circulate in behind (as opposed to being hard up against the grille where there WOULD be airflow problems). Plus there is reasonable air intake space below the nudgebar where nothing obstructs it.

My 2c worth anyway B)

Thanks for the replies and pics

I went down to the local auto parts shop at lunchtime today and they had Lightforce and Roo Lites I was able to have a close look at.

After Holmesie's experiences with both and what I saw I am leaning towards the Roo Lites.

I don't think I need the Roo Lite 220XP's - they are a huge light.

The Roo Lite 180XPs seemed big enough and I could compare the look and price of them to the Lightforce Striker 170s.

The Roo Lite 180XPs cost $290 - with a waterproof full wiring harness included. They also had blue filters for an extra $25.

Whereas the Lightforce 170s look much the same and cost $330 but a LF harness costs an extra $70.

If the lights are much the same $400 vs. $290 is an easy decision.

I'm sure I could get them both cheaper online.

My nudge bar doesn't arrive for a week so I still have time to think about it for a while.

Any other views are welcome.

I think the blue filter makes the light look more natural (like daylight), instead of yellow.

Similar to buying the new fluoro globes for your house and choosing either the "warm" or the "cool" version....

Kesawi.

Here is a picture of a genuine Toyota nudge bar with driving lights.

Does the second picture look familiar?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-T...id=p3286.c0.m14

I noticed that 2nd photo when I looked at this ad the other day !

Kesawi, perhaps you should email the seller and ask for royalties due on your the photo of your car.... :)

Kesawi.

Cheeky bugger :nono: Have sent them a request to remove it, see how that goes. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Kesawi

His quoted courier prices are a bit high too.

I'm shipping my nudge bar from Brisbane to Melbourne for $40 and could have done it for $20 without insurance.

hello Just to add my 20c worth, I find the lightforce product excellent despite the added cost. As a long distance truck driver i find they withstand vibration and heat very well.I have fitted the '170's to my kluger & have no reservations in recomending their product.

cheers john w

You should have said you want 20% of the sale price for modelling fees etc. :lol:

I'll see what the response is from my initial email. I'd be happy with a suitable licence fee, just not happy to not have been asked first.

Just noticed the picture on ebay has been changed to the one off of the toyota site :lol:

EDIT: Received an apology email and all is good. Happy with ebay seller's response.

Edited by Kesawi

Considering HID version as well

"Now Available - HID Versions of 170 Striker & 240 Blitz

These are the high output (competition) versions of the 170 Striker and 240 Blitz. Turn night into day!!

170 Striker HID $750/pair (inc freight within Australia)

240 Blitz HID $825/pair (inc freight within Australia)

These light s are available in 12 or 24 volt versions.

NEW 240 XGT HID Version

These are a fully integrated HID light with full Lightforce warranty. They are a superb Australian made product and are available in 12 or 24 volt versions for $790 each including Australia wide postage.

HID UPGRADE KIT

An upgrade kit is now available to suit the following Lightforce driving lights:

140 Lance

170 Striker

240 Blitz

This kit comes with:

Globe

Globe holder

Wiring loom

Ignitor

Ballast

Fitting Instructions

Price: $210 (per light) delivered"

Edited by Hado

Have seen the HID kits on ebay for between $55-$150

Definitely like the look of the LF 170 HIDs but the price is a bit scary. The LF240s are monsters and would look way too big on the Kluger

Edited by Kesawi

Mine are straight from the Toyota Kluger Brouchure and fitted by the Toyota dealer.

Hella FF 4000 Compact Chrome ones, Drivers side being a pencil and passenger side a spread beam.

They do not vibrate and after the initial mucking around to set the beam, they have never needed adjustment since (Nov 07)

There may be better jobs on the market, but they do the job fine for me.

When I flick them of on a country road, I wonder HTF I ever drove at night with out such on my past Commodores.

Plus I reckon they suit the grill area in size.

100_1676.JPG

100_1675.JPG

Edited by fish475

Kesawi.

The first photo I recognised too - see: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301962

This seller must not have a camera!

Do driving lights connect to the high beams or do they use a seperate switch? Sorry for my ignorance.

See following link for details on the wiring setup.

http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_driving_lights_wiring.htm

Driving lights are linked to the highbeam through a relay switch, so that when the high beam is activated, the driving lights are also activated. A switch can be installed in the circuit so that the driving lights can be switch off, should they not be required. The feed for the driving lights runs through a relay as the control circuit contains components which have would produce too much voltage loss and are also not really rated for the higher current that the lights draw.

The switch for my driving lights was supplied by toyota and is shown below. The spare auxilary panels are smaller than a standard switch.

gallery_11798_641_51773.jpg