Driving Lights

Hado

This seller must not have a camera!

Or maybe not a Kluger :)

Ken.

Looking at the seller's sale history, they've sold a lot of different car components, so I doubt they have any of the vehicles.

I have no issues if anyone wants to use any of my images provided they use their manners and PM me to kindly ask for permission first, which I'll happily grant 99% of the time.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I run a light bar with 4 x Lightforce 170's on it.

(Small pic of my old rally car with spotties on.)

IMG_3967sized.jpg

I made the light bar and the harness so I can remove it from the rally car and bolt it straight onto the nudge bar on my Prado.

I typical run 4 combo lenses as I find it gives a better spread of more even light.

These have withstood about 5 rallies over the last 3 years (and numerous night trips on the front of the Prado) and have given no troubles what so ever, no blown bulbs either.

These are going to be sold off soon to help fund for some custom Narva HID's in a fibre glass pod.

Do driving lights connect to the high beams or do they use a seperate switch? Sorry for my ignorance.

The switch for my driving lights was supplied by toyota and is shown below. The spare auxilary panels are smaller than a standard switch.

Thanks for the info Kesawi.

Definitely like the look of the LF 170 HIDs but the price is a bit scary.

Kesawi

Found the 170 Striker HIDs on special for $620/pair (inc post to capital cities) at an on-line store - now two left.

PM me if you want their email address?

Hado

ipf 808 rectangle haleogen, easy fitment, good light not great but well constructed... sorry no pics yet

I'd like to see a pic of the rectangler lights - I'm sure they would match the headlights well.

ipf 808 rectangle haleogen, easy fitment, good light not great but well constructed... sorry no pics yet

I'd like to see a pic of the rectangler lights - I'm sure they would match the headlights well.

TWO THUMBS UP... GOOD SIZE NOT TOOOOO BIG FOR THE KLUGIE...

available from toyota dealer comes as a set of one spot one spread with switches and relays.... can diy fit if you know what ur doing... kluger has easy access through fire wall... just do a search on ipf 808 lights and give you all details... cost about $300 something but japan made and worth it over the narva only other choice would be hella... but didnt like them as much...

my kluger still in pieces as i am working on it... might be a while before i can put up pics... i have a slow internet connection... ok cheers and good luck with the lights

dave

• 4 weeks later...

Eventually I found a spare afternoon to install my driving lights.

I ended up buying HID Lightforce 170 striker lights. ($620)

post-14696-1257584515_thumb.jpg

Note the blue centre bulb holder on the HID lights. :D

This post by PaulG was invaluable: UPDATED: Wiring in my spotties :clap:

The post shows the best spot to enter the firewall which was very helpful. It is a large rubber grommet marked with a white V behind the air filter box which comes out under the glove box.

I used a Narva wiring harness which is designed to just plug together. Part No. 74400

post-14696-1257585312_thumb.jpg

I aslo used the optional panel mount switch which goes with the harness. Part No. 74410

post-14696-1257585522_thumb.jpg

The switch fits into the blank next to the instrument light switch - I had to cut some of the plastic out from behind the switch to make it clip in.

The relay and fuse, that come with the harness, also both fit nicely above the fuse box using the existing bolt holes in the engine bay.

post-14696-1257585814_thumb.jpg

I also had to fit the HID ballast which fitted in on the plastic panel running along the each side of the engine bay.

post-14696-1257586040_thumb.jpg

I still have to adjust the lights at night - but they worked first time and the clip and play harness made it almost fool proof.

Kind regards

Hado

Edited by Hado

Will be keen to see what you think of the output of them

I took the kluger to an industrial area nearby to adjust them and then went for a short drive.

Once warmed up the HIDs are brilliant - literally! :yahoo:

I have the left light set to wide beam and the right as a pencil down the centre of the road.

They light up road signs up way down the road you can't even see with the normal high beam.

The light is very white and the normal lights look yellow and old fashioned when you go back to low beam - makes me want HIDs for the headlights as well now.

Definitely worth the extra cost of the upgrade to HID.

How long do the HID lights take to warm up?

When you first turn them on it takes about 30 seconds for the lights to get to full brightness.

They are still OK in this period and still light the road up - about the same as normal driving lights - but they don't penetrate as far as when warm.

Once they have done this you can dip them and they stay bright.

The lightforce lights have a ballast (as shown in the pics) and an igniter which is closer to the lights (now right behind the bumper bar). My wires enter the car in the holes where the number plate screwed on before the nudge bar was installed.

I went for another drive last night and tried to get into more rural/dark area. I found a long bit of straight road on my own and the reflectors light up a ridiculously long way down the road - until they all meet together in a red/white blur.

You can see the powerful pencil beam running down the road in front of you.

I went for another drive last night and tried to get into more rural/dark area. I found a long bit of straight road on my own and the reflectors light up a ridiculously long way down the road - until they all meet together in a red/white blur.

You can see the powerful pencil beam running down the road in front of you.

The only criticism I have ever heard is that the big road signs can light up overly brightly as you approach them and can be dazzling. Not sure if that's really a problem, do you think that might be a valid complaint Hado?

Holmesie

When I first set the lights up - I definately had this problem because they were both set to pencil beam and the left one was running down the side of the road and any road sign blinded you.

I now have the left side set to fairly wide beam and this is much less of a problem - but big new signs still reflect back.

The right had pencil beam points down the to the centre of the road and doesn't hit close signs.

The big signs are still bright, but the overall much clearer vision they provide I suspect would be less tiring on your eyes - but I have yet to go on a long trip at night.

Kind regards

Hado

When I enquired about these lights, the comment from 4wd accessory store was not to go with a spread beam as it worse for glare from the road signs, rather to stick with two pencil beams straight up the middle of the road. Interesting to read your experience.

Took the plunge and bought the LF170HID lights and installed them today to replace my Hella Comet 500s. Haven't tried them out in the dark yet.

I'll probably end up getting a low profile mount for them as they stick out a little too far infront of the nudge bar.

One thing I'm not sure of is should the HID ballasts buzz constantly when the lights are on?

Good choice with HID's for your driving lights. Just make sure you take care of them to help improve their lifespan. Such things as letting them run for as long as possible and if you turn them off... wait about a minute (if possible) before firing them up again.

One thing I'm not sure of is should the HID ballasts buzz constantly when the lights are on?

Answered this in your other thread:

HID Ballast Buzz

Took the plunge and bought the LF170HID lights and installed them today to replace my Hella Comet 500s. Haven't tried them out in the dark yet.

I'll probably end up getting a low profile mount for them as they stick out a little too far infront of the nudge bar.

Kesawi

Well done - I will interested in your views about how they compare to your standard driving lights that you replaced.

Good idea re the low mount - I also wasn't happy they stuck out a bit from the nudge bar.

Have you set them up - wide and pencil beam?

Kind regards

Hado

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=13700

They are small HID spot lights with Hella Ballasts,not the greatest light out put Ive had on my cars but a modest up grade, I may go hole hog rally 2000 HID conversion aswell Wife may crack it :whistling: .

I mounted them near the number plate with no holes, just a lot of brackets and washers and the ballasts are mounted behind the number plate! :rolleyes:

They look like they were ment to be there and the wife didn't go get those big ugly spotties off my car!

They came with a remote control so you dont need to wire in a switch in the cabin

Edited by PC XT

Kesawi

Well done - I will interested in your views about how they compare to your standard driving lights that you replaced.

I haven't been able to find an area that is long and dark enough with no traffic to try them out properly yet.

Good idea re the low mount - I also wasn't happy they stuck out a bit from the nudge bar.

The low mount bracket lowers the lights and shifts them back by 15mm. They'll still stick out from the nudge bar by a good 20mm. I'll be picking up the mounts tomorrow and will post some comparison pictures once fitted. I'd prefer to have them mounted so they were back behind the front of the nudge bar and vertically centred with the grill, but I think such a mounting would be too long and not rigid enough.

Have you set them up - wide and pencil beam?

I have them both set to pencil beam at this stage. I'll see how it goes before buying a wide or combo filter.

Good choice with HID's for your driving lights. Just make sure you take care of them to help improve their lifespan. Such things as letting them run for as long as possible and if you turn them off... wait about a minute (if possible) before firing them up again.

I'm probably not really going to be able to manage the driving lights that way, as they will be constantly on and off all the time due to oncoming traffic.

Installed the low profile mount for the Light Force Striker 170 HID driving lights. The high profile mount is on the left light and the low profile mounts is on the right side.

gallery_11798_641_18549.jpg

gallery_11798_641_7519.jpg

With the low profile mount, the light is 15mm lower and 15mm further back from the front of the nudge bar. It still protudes over the front of the bar even with the low profile mount.

Having the low profile mount also makes it a little harder to tighten the nut on the side of the mount as it only permits 10-20degrees of travel with the socket. I have a cheap ratchet and it needed a little more travel to click over each time. I had to stick an extension on the socket, and swap the nuts so that the both were on the Toyota badge side. As I'd fitted the lights with the anti-theft nuts it made things even more difficult.

I'm not sure at this stage which I'll stick with the low profile mount or go back to the high profile.